Air from Owings Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoDo

Air from Owings Mills or Parkville

Is there anything as far as AIR that I can hear from Owings Mills or Parkville? What type of duckie would I need, if I can use one at all, or do I need one mounted to my roof of my house/office? If so then what kind of antenna do I want. I listen to Baltimore Co, Baltimore City, Carroll Co, Anne Arundel for now.

Last edited:

HoDo

I read the sticky and it doesnt say anything about what type of duckie you can use, or if you can hear the transmissions from Owings Mills or Parkville. Do I need to be in AA County to pick them up. If it is covered in the sticky thread I didnt see it in the first 5 pages. I didnt read all 29 pages, I figured it was easier for someone just to respond to my specific 2 questions than read 29 pages of messages. But if I offended you DANK I apologize. Can anyone else help me, Alan (TinEar)?

Last edited:

Dank

air in MD

I didn't read your entire first post so if you mentioned you had read some of TinEars' posts I apologize. Since he updates so much the last page is always the best place to start. Tin has an outdoor antenna so he picks up far more than I currently do, but I can hear quite abit from my house in Laurel with the duckie on my 296. The BWI approaches and the Potomac Tracons are somewhat easy with a duckie. Depending on where overhead and how high they are it is eay to pick up the tankers with the duckie. I plan to put up a discone outside in the near future.
Good luck.
Dan

Dank

Just the original antenna that came from Uniden. Nothing special. I lke the portability of my handheld so switching to a roof mount and being attached to a cable will be a change for me, but I know the improved reception will be nice. I haven't tried any aftermarket antennas.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Howard a ducikie is, in general, a compromise antenna if you think of using it on a wide range of frequencies (here, I'm thinking you mean both civil and milair). While you are correct that a good antenna and coax (such as the Diamond discone, ScanTenna or NilJon) will help, there'a downside - and it has to do with your location.
I'm somewhat familiar with that area, and know very well that there are numerous paging and business transmitters in the area, not to mentioin at least 2 of Baltimore county's 800 towers. All this adds up to a very real possibility of overloading - and that will mean hearing distorted garbage coming in on the aircraft bands where you don't want it. You may well need to invest in a PAR filter - they work quite well, and have used them on several radios over the years.
A somewhat cheaper solution might be to get a mag mount and put it up nice and high (say in an attic) with a large conductive surface underneath it. If we're talking milair, I asked a similar question on the 396 group and was told that the Diamond 220 mhz ham antennas work quite well as milair antennas. In addition, NorthWest Radio has a nice overview of mobile antennas - the link for which we have on the Antennas wiki. I would not overlook using the NilJon as well in this configuration.

Don't be too surprised by this - handhelds simply can't always hold up to urban signal levels. Their design simply doesn't always allow for it. Good size outdoor antennas are nice, but you have to buy them with both your environment and radio in mind.

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.