New MSP Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman123

Premium Subscriber
Here is a peek at what you will be seeing soon on Marylands highways. Watch out for the new light configuration in your rear view mirror.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Visibility vs. Stealth

Reminds of the the experiment Louisiana did in the late 80's early 90's. They decided they wanted to better hide and blend in so they went with dark navy cars. This was later abandoned. State Police there encourages off duty driving of cruisers to create the perception of increased police presence, which of course, the less visible darker cars mitigated against.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Funny how the argument goes that they want to give the impression of more police presence so every other police person seems to bring home a car. The fact that > 3/4 of the brought-home cars are "un-marked" seems to go contra to the logic of "being seen".

Whistler

Very sharp cruiser I heard that were going to try Dodge. Any idea what the roof mount is? Satellite Radio (XM)? Also why are they getting away from the general paint scheme (Black and Olive) especially on a marked car? Also any idea on the license plate, looks like W ?-1 Hey Patrolman123 any chance you can post more pics when you get them?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I never thought I was buying a Cop car back in June when I bought my Charger.
Sunroof on mine is a dead giveaway though...LOL
I notice MSP car also has satellite radio antenna on back roof.
I thought they would nix that and use different wheels also...
Maybe pic is a regular Dodge Charger mockup and not the actual Police Special.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I'm biased as I like it but to each his own.Sure beats lame old Ford Crown Vics and is much faster.
Curious if they will use soon to be released 425 Horse Hemi.
That may be a little much as 345 Horse gets it just fine for me.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Good point! I did not get the optional GPS but seems MSP with radios and a possible MDT computer system I don't see room for that stuff.
Also would assume column gear shifter instead of normal Charger console floor shifter for comp space.
Peppy car though to say the least! The MSP guys are gonna love it!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm, only a single whip on the trunk? Given that some MSP barracks are now using 800 mhz portables, you would think that they would have a seperate 800 mhz antenna so the portables get better coverage. Or have they finally learned - as we hams have been doing this for years - that a single antenna with a tuner will work just fine? I always got a chuckle out of all the antennas on some MSP cars.

I'd love to see that center console - it's got to be jammed with some neat electronics....73s Mike

Whistler

Talked to a Trooper about the new car and he questions the authenticity. Didn't know why they would use a mag mount antenna, new paint scheme, and SAT antenna. He did ask if the license plate said MV-1 (Motor Vehicles Division) if so that may be real. I also can't wait to see the console. I had heard that MSP was getting off low band because of the FCC. I had heard High Band VHF.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's been rumblings about that for over 2 years now....it's certainly possible but I'll believe it when I see it. It makes much more sense, where possible, for them to get on their respective county's 800 system than to move to VHF hi.
The antenna looks more like a trunk lip mount; given that they may have to really move, some mag mounts will give up at high speeds. Trunk lips also give a much better ground plane than mags do, which depend on coupling to get a good ground.
I suppose it's all speculative unless we get someone in the know :.>> 73s Mike

ResQguy

Meh
FYI, that car is one of a few 2005 prototypes being fielded by MSP. AFAIK, they were purchased before Dodge started offering the 2006 Charger "Enforcer" package. That is why it has the civilian wheels and accessories such as the Sirius antenna.

patrolman123

Premium Subscriber
ResQguy. Thank you for advising everyone that this is a prototype. When the cars start rolling out officially they probably wont have a magnet mounted antenna and wheels such a those in the photographs. I just wanted all to see what the scheme of the new cars will look like in general.

scannerman700

Oh Man!!! that is one sweet patrol car,I hope that I get one of those when I graduate from the MSP Academy next year... I personally think that the solid black vehicle and no light bar will blow minds of motorist when this car shows up behind them because the O/D green and lt. bar automatically tells you that its a MSP cruiser... SO KEEP THE LIGHT BARS AND THE O/D GREEN PAINT OFF THESE CHARGERS!!! and Yes, It has a HEMI!!! LOL

Metro174

Premium Subscriber
scannerman700 said:
Oh Man!!! that is one sweet patrol car,I hope that I get one of those when I graduate from the MSP Academy next year

Being the new guy and working for a state agency? You'll see one. Somebody elses. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.