aaco digital question

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
In the past, I had heard they needed numerous more towers before they could switch to digital....

However, there have been various but "unspecified" radio "upgrades" lately. Additionally, numerous new PD radios (as well as some other users) have appeared in the past few weeks (deteced via TRUNKER).

can you provide a specific link? I can't find your ref'd info....

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah seeing as I'm one of the editors, and even I didn't hear about this....73s Mike

troymail

Silent Key
if memory serves, aa county was scheduled to switch to the current system - which is digital capable - in December -> a few years ago... perhaps this is an old post that refers to that upgrade...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Quite right, and in fact I finally remembered- it's in the CHM newsletter archives, the 1203 issue, to be precise
Jake, AA county shifted its freqs about a year or so ago to the current system. Many older sites still list the .3625/.3875/.4125 frequencies, which for the most part, have been abandoned. Use the list that's here on the RRDB.
Some fire Xray channels, as I understand it, are already digital. Right now, until (at least last I heard) about 6 new towers are built to cover the many dead spots - some of which had been covered in the Sun paper, by the way - for the most part, things are still analog.
For now.

73s Mike

troymail

Silent Key
personally, from the quality I've seen on my digital reception of the surrounding jurisdictions, I hope they never go digital.... but I'm certain it will happen eventually.

Apparently, the first new tower went in behind Northern District Police... and I think there is a new one behind FD Hqts... maybe 4 more and then digital....

Admin0140434

ive mentioned this before (a previous post... but ill throw it in again)

AACO needs
2 more in southern
1 in northern
1 in eastern
1 behind FDHQ

the one in northern and the one behind FDHQ are up...

troymail

Silent Key
3 new towers are operational in the county now .... three more new towers are expected to be up by Summer 06... seems all are from Rt 50/Annapolis area north -- not sure what the plan/need is for more south county towers....

Last edited:

trimmerj

Signal strength has been fluctuating at my 20 recently , roughly 4 miles from HQ. Are all transmissions being broadcast from each tower or do specific talkgroup comms get broadcast only by a tower in that area ?

troymail

Silent Key
trimmerj said:
Signal strength has been fluctuating at my 20 recently , roughly 4 miles from HQ. Are all transmissions being broadcast from each tower or do specific talkgroup comms get broadcast only by a tower in that area ?

I'm fairly certain they don't transmit by tower/talkgroup.... I think it's simulcast across all the towers

I'm in Severn probably about midway between Millersville and the Jessup tower... signal seems a bit more stable now than it was in the past.

trimmerj

I may be getting some multipath if HQ site has started broadcasting. My antenna is pointed toward the site on Ft Smallwood rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.