Scanner - Fire [montgomery County, Md]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPERT20906

I am hearing something new on the scanner, when a call goes out they give a leter responce & just today I heard that they were responding to a call for someone having a seizure & they said it as in a letter seizure.

Thank & God bless you all, you all who work for the agencies [all over] to help us all out, I hope someday that they put the talk groups on here like I read a while back that they were going to do - if so it will be on the paid part, I know we all need $. But it leave us who cannot aford things or do not have a paid job out, but this is life.] I am hoping for Christmas to get a portable scanner with all the 800MHx on it & the talk groups. I saw one scanner that says it has a computer hock up [think it said it comes with a CD], so what is the hock up for?

Thanks

Bob

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The letters you're referring to are part of the priority dispatch system. Different letters get different responses.

The computer hook-up would be used to program you scanner by using your computer. It's often much easier to do it on a computer than put all of that information in your scanner by hand.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In addition, check the RRDB for the talkgroups. They've been documented there for quite some time now. Hopefully you will get one of the digital trunktrackers for Xmas - if Santa is cooperative :.>>

73s Mike

SPERT20906

BoxAlarm187 said:
The letters you're referring to are part of the priority dispatch system. Different letters get different responses.

The computer hook-up would be used to program you scanner by using your computer. It's often much easier to do it on a computer than put all of that information in your scanner by hand.

Thanks, is there anyway to tell the meaning? I guess 1 way to find out is to listen to the scanner & pick up the dispatcher & someone who is new may not know so dispatch will tell them.

Just heard [over now] of something going on with a STATE POLICE HELICOPTOR & so police cars & some FM's & Rockville co 3 units, but that is all I got. I hope to get a new scanner for Christmas, BTW does anyone know what the best kind is so I can fwd it to my dad for idas? Also still kind of "eh' on the computer hock up, is it like anything where the information for the scanner is on to send to the scanner. Sort of like the computer program programming the scanner [like dad has a computer program & he holds his watch up to the screen then it sends a signal to the watch. So this scanner has nothing to do with ECC except hearing them on the scanner? Thanks.

Bob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It depends on what scanner you purchase as to what the PC hookup will do. Some will allow you to see a description on the screen of what you're hearing (usually brief - about 16 chars or so) and fully control the scanner (Uniden models, for the most part), while others only support programming (RS/GRE models).
If you're not familiar with all of this, and new to the digital world (especially if you're really not into hearing the milair stuff), then I think the PRO-96 or the 2096 is the way to go - and you can bet RS will have Xmas discounts on the price. You can read about both here...

PRO-96 Wiki

PRO-2096 Wiki

If you go this way, make sure you get the 20-289 programming cable. Do not let an otherwise well-meaning salesman sell you any other cable; other RS cables simply won't work. There are alternatives if the 20-289 cable isn't available. Then download Win96 (the link for which is in the PRO-96 wiki above).

Also; do not let a RS salesman program the scanner! Both of these scanners have a feature called V folders which already houses a lot of data. Some of the data is, however, a bit out of date, but fear not - Win96 allows you to update it. In addition, there are several Win96 files that you can use here;

Capitol Hill Monitors .p96 file page

73s Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.