Trunking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

18-3box

I live in Anne Arundel County, MD. I have a RadioShack Dual Trunking Scanner. The problem is that I took a while to clear out the Anne Arundel County Police and Fire Frequencies. I want to get rid of the Police Frequencies. I went through the bank and put the trunking codes in and it took me about 20 minutes to go through them, put the codes in, and text them. I have rid all of the Police Trunking Codes, and I still get Police Frequencies. Can anyone help me?

n3bxv

Which model Scanner do you have? pro-93/95/96?
You don't want to take ANY of the system frequencies out or the scanner won't Trunk properly!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think he doesn't quite understand trunking. There's a fairly good explanation in the Trunking Basics
section of the Wiki

If I understand the RS terminology correctly, what you need to do is to build a scan list of only AACO fire talkgroups (not frequencies). As N3BXV has correctly stated, you don't want to drop ANY frequencies. Once you have built the scan list, you want to be in closed mode. I THINK that's the equivalent of the Uniden ID Scan function, where you will only scan those talkgroups you've programmed.

Be sure to program the system as a type 2 Motorola system (from what I understand, Win95 makes this very easy). In the database, you will see a few talkgroups with a mode 'E'. These are encrypted, and cannot be received by any consumer scanner.

73s Mike

Last edited:

18-3box

ka3jjz said:
I think he doesn't quite understand trunking. There's a fairly good explanation in the Trunking Basics
section of the Wiki

If I understand the RS terminology correctly, what you need to do is to build a scan list of only AACO fire talkgroups (not frequencies). As N3BXV has correctly stated, you don't want to drop ANY frequencies. Once you have built the scan list, you want to be in closed mode. I THINK that's the equivalent of the Uniden ID Scan function, where you will only scan those talkgroups you've programmed.

Be sure to program the system as a type 2 Motorola system (from what I understand, Win95 makes this very easy). In the database, you will see a few talkgroups with a mode 'E'. These are encrypted, and cannot be received by any consumer scanner.

73s Mike

Your right. I am not used to trunking systems, I have always used anything other than trunking. I will check Trunk Basics

troymail

Silent Key
Having always been a Bearcat user and just have purchased a Radio Shack PRO-97 as a gift for someone, I can see part of the problem.

For a Bearcat (at least with my 396), I can enter the freq(s) and a couple of TGs and I'm on my way. IF I only want to listen to those TGs, I just need to put the radio in SCAN mode. In this mode, the radio will only stop on the TGs I have specifically identified and programmed in my radio. If I want to hear the other TGs, I can switch to SEARCH Mode. In SEARCH mode, all TGs (except any that are locked out) will be heard.

What I recently found different about the PRO-97 is that they pretty much call SCAN mode "CLOSED mode" and SEARCH mode is called "OPEN mode". In CLOSED mode, you only hear what you have programmed and HAVE NOT specifically locked out. In OPEN mode, you hear everything except what you have locked out.

The down side ofthe PRO-97 working this way is the only way I can SEARCH in OPEN mode (which is my normal mode on my Bearcat - always watching for new TGs) and NOT listen to PD is to individually lockout each of the PD (and other TGs) that I don't want to hear.

It's just one of those little details you have to consider in the features of one radio over another.

18-3box

So, for instance, 856.5125 is used for both PD and FD; Your Bearcat can scan through, identifying whether it is PD or FD? I am trying to figure out how to do that. I may just get rid of this PRO-95 and get a Bearcat, then. Uniden makes the Bearcat, right?

kc4jgc

Don't get rid of the 95 so fast

Though terminolgy and method may be different, in the end I'm sure both work the same in the end. The freqs are all used by all agencies on the system. PD/FD/Public Works/etc.

Once you get the system freqs reprogrammed you need to find what talk groups you're interested in, then program them in. Once you've done that, you can then set that bank into "closed" mode.

Read pages 25 & 68 of the owner's manual. Those pages should clear things up for you.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
No matter if you have a Uniden (Bearcat) or a RS/GRE scanner, they all scan trunked systems the same way, it's just some of the functions that the individual scanners have.

The purpose of the trunk tracker is to "track" a particular talkgroup, not matter what frequency it's on. The talkgroup is what most people refer to as a channel (Fire Dispatch, etc). Once you have the frequencies programmed in, your next process is to enter the talkgroups you want to listen to, and then run you scanner in "closed" mode.

18-3box

Does anyone here have a pro95? I will talk to that person about it and hopefully they will be able to help me trunk. Notify me and I'll PM you what I do and maybe you will be able give me the way to get there.

kc4jgc

18-3box said:
Does anyone here have a pro95? I will talk to that person about it and hopefully they will be able to help me trunk. Notify me and I'll PM you what I do and maybe you will be able give me the way to get there.

I do. I can help if no one else closer can. BTW if you're a ham I'll be on the NASA Goddard
repeater 146.835 from time to time today around 1100 enroute to Oxon Hill, then between stops to Clinton, then after that enroute back to Norfolk. Leaving Norfolk as soon as I log off here.

In the meantime you could download win95 from www.starrsoft.com ; it's freeware. Also, Call your local RS stores, ask for the PC programming cable. I cannot remember the catalog #(someone help me here), but it's a WHITE DB9-mini plug cable. I say call the stores because many stores have only one cable for store use only. I found a cable over 200 miles away in High Point NC. If you cannot find one at a store in a reasonable distance, you may have to order on line.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If memory serves, the cable's SKU is 20-289. I've also seen reports that someone on EBay has been selling their version of the cable for USD20 or so, and I'm sure there are others (Blackbagsoftware?)

73s Mike

ddonovan1953

Getting rid of unwanted freqs.

18-3box said:
I live in Anne Arundel County, MD. I have a RadioShack Dual Trunking Scanner. The problem is that I took a while to clear out the Anne Arundel County Police and Fire Frequencies. I want to get rid of the Police Frequencies. I went through the bank and put the trunking codes in and it took me about 20 minutes to go through them, put the codes in, and text them. I have rid all of the Police Trunking Codes, and I still get Police Frequencies. Can anyone help me?

I think I had the same issue, and here is how I did it. I entered ONLY those Talkgroups for the fire frequncies, and then set the scanner bank to "closed". This allows only those Talk groups that I have entered to be heard. I then added all the same control freqs to a second channel bank and did the same for fire.. so I can switch between the two banks (or keep them both on) and here only fire, only police, or both. Hope that helps

18-3box

ddonovan1953 said:
I think I had the same issue, and here is how I did it. I entered ONLY those Talkgroups for the fire frequncies, and then set the scanner bank to "closed". This allows only those Talk groups that I have entered to be heard. I then added all the same control freqs to a second channel bank and did the same for fire.. so I can switch between the two banks (or keep them both on) and here only fire, only police, or both. Hope that helps
The people from RadioShack programmed them for me. I had all of the Trunked Frequencies in 1 bank. (Bank #3) It had all of the trunked frequencies. The guy put the Trunking codes in for all of the N, S, E and W districts, Spec. Ops. for PDm ect. I just erased all of those a couple of days ago. I now only have codes for the FD. I went through all of the bank sections, and those were the only ones I have. Yet, I still hear PD channels. I was just curious, so I hit "MODE" and it said at the bottom "1616" as the trunking code, which I think is Northern District. So I am trying to figure it out from there. I will definately try that. But one thing I heard was that all of the trunked frequencies are supposed to only be in 1 bank. I don't know whether that is true or not.

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE

18-3box

I went and put everything in another bank and filled the trunk system with only FD trunking modes and I still get PD Frequencies WTF?? I am getting a little mad, not at anybody, at the trunking system because I can't figure out how to get to CLOSED MODE. My manual is missing, all I have is the warranty paper and the book that is Spanish.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually we have something on the PRO95 Wiki page that might even be better - an 'easier to read PRo93/95/2053' manual. It's listed in the Related Pages section. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.