Is PG County Upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

I know that PG County has used GE's, and the associated G-Star identifiers for over the 30 years that I've been monitoring. But, now I'm starting to hear PD units that are using Motorola's MDC identifiers. Is PG County starting to phase in a system upgrade where they're going to be switching to Motorola, or have they just run out of G-Star id's?

Dewey

Dank

Take a look at the PG county section on the RRDB. There is talk of upgrades on the borders to allow better communications with neighboring areas. I'm not sure right off what radios they may be phasing in for this.

troymail

Silent Key
Rumor I got from a pretty reliable source is that PG is going to be getting a Motorola TRS which makes sense because they are surrounded by /\/\ systems - I have no idea if this is a done deal and/or when it might happen.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Heck, the infrastructure for a UHF Moto TRS is probably almost half way there already. It would make sense - that's what DC did for their cops. Why they haven't done it yet probably has more to do with money than anything else.....73s Mike

radio

Premium Subscriber
PG Upgrade

PG County has not upgraded their VHF radio system like the DC Police did with their UHF system because it makes too much sense.

jparks29

John McClane
jeez.. does noone read the updates??

XTL5000's are being put in the cruisers... yes they WERE using panther 600M's which had G*star.. the XTL's of course use MDC, so the MDC you hear are cruisers that already have the XTL's installed....

PG county police is UHF-T band... only users on VHF are sheriff, and other misc "crap"....sheriff channel one(155.580) and county pd channels 5, and 10, are linked at night, or during major incidents....UHF<->VHF

ka3jjz nailed it....

although federal grants are supposed to make up 90% of the funding.......

AND....yes.. I'm the one who posted the update.. I'm a "little bit" familiar with PG counties inner workings.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.