Route 32 near the Jessup Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLHDU

I don't have my scanner but something seemed to be going on when I was on Route 32W passing the Jessup prison. Then again, maybe it had nothing to do with the prison. First I saw an AACO police car lights and sirens on, exiting onto Route 198 from Route 32 E. Then as I continued on Route 32W at the employees gate for Fort Meade where the MD State troopers usually sit. One was outside his car with shotgun in hand observing traffic 10' or so from his vehicle...thought it was strange then when passing the Canine Rd exit near (Rt 295 exit) across from the Shell on Rt. 32 where the other MD Troopers sit another Trooper was doing the same thing near the high power lines. Who knows, maybe it was just coincidence?? Anyone hear anything interesting this morning...I observed it at 10:02 am today 12-17-05.

-J

troymail

Silent Key
As you stated, MSP and other police sit along Rt 32 between Rt 198 and Rt 295 on a regular basis... pretty much around the clock given the facilities in the area. The officer responding with lights and siren could have been just responding to some unrelated incident. Guards with shotguns, etc. are also fairly common in that corridor.

I suppose there could have been something going on down off of Rt 198 that put the posted officers/units on alert as a precaution....

JLHDU

troymail said:
As you stated, MSP and other police sit along Rt 32 between Rt 198 and Rt 295 on a regular basis... pretty much around the clock given the facilities in the area. The officer responding with lights and siren could have been just responding to some unrelated incident. Guards with shotguns, etc. are also fairly common in that corridor.

I suppose there could have been something going on down off of Rt 198 that put the posted officers/units on alert as a precaution....

Yes, I see them everyday when I drive by. Just seemed abit strange, I've never seen them outside of their vehicles...especially with weapons drawn.

Ever since they put that new overpass in and took away the stop light (2 yrs now?) they've been sitting there. I have seen a few times where they weren't sitting there but thats only (my guess) because of shift change or something. Doesn't the base own that land? I know they do further east on 32 they do because they occasionally sit behind the overpass and clock people. When passing the prision (day or night) I always see Guard Vehicles driving along the fence line...

-J

Dank

Just to clarify something. The prison you are referring to, south of rt 32 from NSA and east of the B/W parkway isn't the Jessup prison. This facility is the Oak Hill Childrens center which is a DC Govt facility. I find it ironic to have that amount of razor wire around something called a 'childrens center' but they have some really bad offenders in there. If you ever drive rt 198 west from 32 to the B/W parkway, you will see the driveway entrance for Oak Hill on your right. This is the same facility that has had many beakouts over the years and the local residents want to close it down. There is a plan to close it and divide the land 3 ways. Part to NSA for additional security barrier, the wetlands to the DNR (I think), and I can't remember the third recipient.

JLHDU

Dank said:
Just to clarify something. The prison you are referring to, south of rt 32 from NSA and east of the B/W parkway isn't the Jessup prison. This facility is the Oak Hill Childrens center which is a DC Govt facility. I find it ironic to have that amount of razor wire around something called a 'childrens center' but they have some really bad offenders in there. If you ever drive rt 198 west from 32 to the B/W parkway, you will see the driveway entrance for Oak Hill on your right. This is the same facility that has had many beakouts over the years and the local residents want to close it down. There is a plan to close it and divide the land 3 ways. Part to NSA for additional security barrier, the wetlands to the DNR (I think), and I can't remember the third recipient.

Thanks for correcting me, as soon as I saw this reply I realized the error of my ways. The Jessup prision is down Rt 175 right? What I didn't know was that thta facility is a childrens center. I bought my Odyssey and Civic at Ourisman Honda...so yes, I know where Oak Hill is. There used to be a sign, I can't recall if there is one there still.

-J

Dank

JLHDU said:
Thanks for correcting me, as soon as I saw this reply I realized the error of my ways. The Jessup prision is down Rt 175 right? What I didn't know was that thta facility is a childrens center. I bought my Odyssey and Civic at Ourisman Honda...so yes, I know where Oak Hill is. There used to be a sign, I can't recall if there is one there still.

-J

No problem. The reason I pointed out at that is Oak Hill was to suggest that perhaps there was another bereakout attempt. Careless me I forgot to make that statement in my previous post. You are correct about the Jessup prison on Rt175 east of Rt1. Patuxent institute (mens prison) is on the left as you travel east from Rt1. If you continue east on 175 after you cross the btridge you should see the sign for the womens prison on your right. If you hit the B/W parkway (295) you passed it. Not that you would be visiting, but I wanted to point out there are a couple of locations close by in case you may be scanning Dept of Corrections freqs.

DPH410

Premium Subscriber
There was a motor vehicle crash near that location. The guy with the shotgun was one of the gate guards assisting with traffic flow. One patient was transported to Laurel Regional Hospital.

The NSA pays MSP to provide a "visual deterrent" by posting off-duty troopers in various locations around the NSA Campus perimeter.

The only folks that run radar on that stretch of road regularly are the NSA Police and Fort Meade MP's/Police.

JLHDU

DPH410 said:
There was a motor vehicle crash near that location. The guy with the shotgun was one of the gate guards assisting with traffic flow. One patient was transported to Laurel Regional Hospital.

The NSA pays MSP to provide a "visual deterrent" by posting off-duty troopers in various locations around the NSA Campus perimeter.

The only folks that run radar on that stretch of road regularly are the NSA Police and Fort Meade MP's/Police.

On 32? I didn't see anything on Saturday afternoon. Maybe the accident happened on Rt 198? I have NEVER seen NSA police run radar on 32. Ft. Meade does occasionally and MSP will turn their K or KA band on but rarely stop anyone. Fort Meade started some construction about 1-2 weeks ago at the 198 gate and prior to that they had a speed sign that pulsated K band onto Rt 32. My radar detector only picked it up when on was on 32W. It is not there anymore. I'm on 32E/W daily.

-J

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The section of Rt 32 that runs through Ft Meade is technically still on base - that's why NSA Police/Ft Meade Police/MP's patrol it. A year or two ago I saw a MP Humvee pull over a motorist - must have been a bit shocking for the civilian driver...

CA
Annapolis

bear105

I've drive the Rt.32 stretch quite often. I've never seen the NSA police out doing traffic or with radar there. I have seen them pull up behind pulled over/stopped vehicles however. I have seen the MPs with radar on the stretch between Rt 175 and 198. And of course you have the MSP cars that sit along 32 between the BW parkway and 198. I have never seen them doing traffic either though...

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
bear105 said:
And of course you have the MSP cars that sit along 32 between the BW parkway and 198. I have never seen them doing traffic either though...

I have always wondered what is the purpose of them sitting along this stretch.

bear105

FYI...that the MSP cars on Rt 32 are dispatched from the Glen Burnie barracks...

Status
Not open for further replies.