Fort Meade using AACO system for Dispatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3bxv

Fort Meade using AACO system for Dispatching Today

Looks like the Fort Meade Fire department is using AACO TG400 (1M) for Dispatching this morning..... I wonder if there's a problem with the Meade P25 system?

BTW they're using the TG like it's their own, Using their own numbering IE, Engine 12, 13 and Truck 2 instead of using their AACO numbers Engine 452 and 453 and Truck 45, which they usually use on the AACO system...

One of the units asked Fort Meade dispatch--"are we operating on Mike?" So it's not a Patch.

Last edited:

n3bxv

TG 400 (1M) still in use by Fort Meade Fire as their dispatch channel as of 1 O'clock local....

n3bxv

troymail said:
Must be using it again today -- I'm seeing about 9 radios currently tuned to MIKE via my TRUNKER.

Darn, I hadn't thought about looking at the affliations to see if they were still using it!

TinEar

This actually makes sense that the Ft. Meade Fire Department would establish a talkgroup on the AA County system. They probably coordinate more with AA County than they do with Ft. Meade entities other than the MPs during a fire on base. I'd suspect they have two radios - one for 380 to work base activities and with NSA - and the AA County radio to work everything else including medic runs. It would make even more sense for the MPs to do the same thing since they need contact with NSA Police and work so often with County police. But will they? We've talked about that several times on these threads over the past couple of years. But just because it's obvious and makes sense doesn't mean they'll do it.

troymail

Silent Key
The relationships between fed, state, and local govs when it comes to public safety stuff is very strange. A clear example is the continued discussion on interoperability - or lack thereof.

It's interesting that BWI AIrport (a state entity) uses the AA County TRS but is in the process of purchasing their own system.

Fort Meade has always had their own system (police, fire, public works, etc.) but the fire department was issued AA County radios since the run mutual aid into the County (as does BWI Airport).

The Naval Academy is similar to Fort Meade. They have their own (antique) radio system but also have AA County Radios as they too run M/A into the county.

If you look outside the metro area, you'll find that Maryland State Police (MSP) usually has a channel/TG on the local trunk radio systems in those area (most of the Eastern Shore, etc.) but AA County does not....

WHen and why some users are tied in and others are not is a very strange thing. I'm guessing that an entity retaining control as well as $$$ come into play when looking at these types of things.

In the future when everyone switches to 700Mhz (2010?) and technology improves even further (security, encryption, etc.), there will probably much more "mixing" of the systems.

wadeless28

Now we will start straying off topic.....Forgive me. A little birdie told me a couple weeks ago. Tha "P" barracks will be closing in the not so distant future. All AACo MSP operations will move to "J" barracks in Annapolis. So this would be prime time to utilize the county's system and maybe AACo will get a bit of revenue for use of the system.

Also remember about Fort Meade. Both occupants use MaComm systems. It is just a matter of switching systems on the radio. Just like AACo does with surrounding jurisdictions.

Mike

spanner

Premium Subscriber
Fort Meade Fire has to have the county radios, because they operate as company 45 in the county, and are on first due boxes in the area surrounding the post.

The communications center at FGGM does not have communications with AA Fire except a plectron, a printer and the direct line.

Fort Meade Police and AA county police have NO working relationship.

Local PD's and federal law do not allow the use of "Military Police" in civilian law enforcement.

There is a direct line, for passing on information to AA PD "West".

The area on 175 and 32 adjacent to the installation are "dual" enforcement areas, and that is why you see FGGM Police doing traffic enforcement on those routes.

That is about where it ends in the relationship.

As for the other state and federal agencies, I cannot comment on because I have no knowledge of their internal workings.

Spanner

wadeless28

I am very aware of FMFD having the now MaComm radio and the AACo Moto radio in their units.

I was speaking of the InterOp relationship between the two MaComm systems on FGGM.

Mike

spanner

Premium Subscriber
Okay.

But, I am not sure if I understand what you mean by two macomm systems...

The FD and Police are on the same system.

The old 400 system is a Centracom system.

wadeless28

Hey Spanner, That would be Fort Meade's NCR MaComm system. And the Agencies MaComm system.

That interoperbility should be built in by just switching between sytems on each radio.

Mike

n3bxv

spanner said:
The communications center at FGGM does not have communications with AA Fire except a plectron, a printer and the direct line.
I've heard "Ft Meade Fire Communications" come up on the AACO Trunk system several times, always with the same radio ID in Trunker, to coordinate responses and ops.

spanner said:
Fort Meade Police and AA county police have NO working relationship.
Local PD's and federal law do not allow the use of "Military Police" in civilian law enforcement.

There is a direct line, for passing on information to AA PD "West"..
I spoke at length with a senior civilian DA Police officer about this and he seemed to think it was more the Army not wanting to become entangled with all the additional requirements that would come about if they cooperated more closely with the local civilian police, like training, court dates etc. He mentioned DOD civilian police in other locales cooperating much more closely.

After listening to the Fort Meade Military police and AACO West for some time, I worry that they don't cooperate enough(at all) and in several instances it came close to being very dangerous, in particular when both respond to alarms at Meade High. AACO approaching to investigate from one side, the MPs from the other and the units on the ground have no way to coordinate with each other directly, the potential for "friendly fire" is great...

spanner said:
The area on 175 and 32 adjacent to the installation are "dual" enforcement areas, and that is why you see FGGM Police doing traffic enforcement on those routes.
They're actually "Tri" enforcement areas since they are State Highways and MSP has jurisdiction as well!
I had to laugh one evening when AACO police chased a suspect who crashed out at 198 and 32. The MPs and AACO police were doing the "jurisdiction dance" It's yours!, No it's yours! I guess no one wanted to do the paperwork...

Last edited:

spanner

Premium Subscriber
wadeless28 said:
Hey Spanner, That would be Fort Meade's NCR MaComm system. And the Agencies MaComm system.

That interoperbility should be built in by just switching between sytems on each radio.

Mike

I see.

You are correct.

A few months ago, Site-R came up on the Fire Departments TG's. Cannot remember which was on the wrong system, but we straightened it out.

Its a very neat system, but it will not get used to its potential.....

spanner

Premium Subscriber
n3bxv said:
I've heard "Ft Meade Fire Communications" come up on the AACO Trunk system several times, always with the same radio ID in Trunker, to coordinate responses and ops.

I spoke at length with a senior civilian DA Police officer about this and he seemed to think it was more the Army not wanting to become entangled with all the additional requirements that would come about if they cooperated more closely with the local civilian police, like training, court dates etc. He mentioned DOD civilian police in other locales cooperating much more closely.

After listening to the Fort Meade Military police and AACO West for some time, I worry that they don't cooperate enough(at all) and in several instances it came close to being very dangerous, in particular when both respond to alarms at Meade High. AACO approaching to investigate from one side, the MPs from the other and the units on the ground have no way to coordinate with each other directly, the potential for "friendly fire" is great...

They're actually "Tri" enforcement areas since they are State Highways and MSP has jurisdiction as well!
I had to laugh one evening when AACO police chased a suspect who crashed out at 198 and 32. The MPs and AACO police were doing the "jurisdiction dance" It's yours!, No it's yours! I guess no one wanted to do the paperwork...

You are corrrect!

We have had several incidents where AA would not respond to Meade HS, because we had units on scene. But, we had no access, they do.

Meade HS is on FGGM, AA has coverage and keys, but we get the alarm from the alarm company...??..

My biggest concern is as yours.......We are all on the same team, doing the same job, in the same areas, lets work together and share the well done job!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!

TinEar

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but....
Ft. Meade Military Police are back on their old 400 mHz system this evening. Same old callsign - Patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.