Changes coming to AA Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Expect to start hearing changes in units/dispatches, etc. over the coming weeks.... some good moves....

The 4th Battalion (West side above Rt 50) will reappear after being disbanded several years ago... The Shift Commander position will be gone... Tanker 5 will be gone... The Jessup Pumper Tanker (E-294) is moving and will be at Arundel (Crofton) - E-74. Personnel changes are expected to see Engine 6 (Herald Harbor) and Engine/Squad 1 (Galesville) to be staffed and more active. Daytime division Chiefs will cover north and south zones... Volunteer Chiefs will be dispatched as and start running as the safety officer on calls... Dispatches may change to reduce use of heavy vehicles (engnes/trucks/squads) on medical calls.... More....

Stayed tuned!

:lol:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information Troy!

I had always thought Station 7 needed a tanker that way. I wonder if staffing will increase there or will they rely on volunteers for the tanker?

I wonder if they will be getting more Special Units (Medic/SU 23, SU-8) to help with medical calls?

Listening to November (Admin). It appears Fire Alarm now has the ability to Patch Marine Frequencies to tactical channels via a Laptop in Fire Alarm.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
With the addition of E74, that means it will be the career engine in place of E72- likely no change in staffing.

I'd like to see how they plan on changing medical boxes to reduce running suppression pieces when we now have medic engines & quints...

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see how they plan on changing medical boxes to reduce running suppression pieces when we now have medic engines & quints...

An assumption is the utilization of utilities or "chase cars" instead of using Engines, Trucks, Squads, etc. to run these medical calls.

Not sure how practical that is though if they are on a medical call and then are dispatched to a box alarm, then they have to go back to the station to get the Engine/Truck.

7/23/13--County Executive Laura Neuman Appoints Michael E. Cox, Jr. Fire Chief

County Executive Laura Neuman Appoints Michael E. Cox, Jr. Fire Chief

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
An assumption is the utilization of utilities or "chase cars" instead of using Engines, Trucks, Squads, etc. to run these medical calls.

Not sure how practical that is though if they are on a medical call and then are dispatched to a box alarm, then they have to go back to the station to get the Engine/Truck.

Generally, the latter is the reason for not doing the former -- keeps the crew ready to handle the next call - fire, rescue, or medical.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like no more EMS Supervisors. If needed Safety 5 would respond.

Edit:
Rescue Box just dispatched in 2's area and no EMS Supervisor added. So I guess this position has been eliminated.

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I hope everyone in the county just got RSI qualified! I'll be looking into this

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Maybe if we buy some really big ambos then we can staff it with 4 or so people and we wont have to send out an engine on medical calls ;)

Neuman said the county’s Commission on Excellence, which is looking at how to make the government run better, is also seeking ways the fire department can make better use of its equipment.

The county executive said the department sends out “a lot” of equipment on fire calls, about 80 percent of it medical equipment. Is that necessary? Maybe not, and it could be a waste of money, she said.

Anne Arundel executive seeks priority needs, spending balance - CapitalGazette.com: Government

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
During their 7 AM Special Information Broadcast where they usually have a Safety Message and the statement about apparatus out of service, they have added a statement about stations that are RSI qualified.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A bit unrelated, but two questions:

1. P25 ever going to happen on FD channels?

2. Do current FD channels seem scratchy to everybody? I always have full signal strength anywhere in the county, but the scratchiness is omnipresent and annoying. Is this caused by the multicast nature of the system?

troymail

Silent Key
A bit unrelated, but two questions:

1. P25 ever going to happen on FD channels?

2. Do current FD channels seem scratchy to everybody? I always have full signal strength anywhere in the county, but the scratchiness is omnipresent and annoying. Is this caused by the multicast nature of the system?

Supposedly, the County is planning an upgrade but it isnt known when that will occur. This is partly due to the age of the current system. Hopefully, if our tax dollars are spent - this time they will actually use what the money was spent on....

As for scratchy- if you've spent any amount of time listening to ANY digital, the County's analog system will definitely sound noisy. But of course there could well be other reasons.

I'm sitting in Howard County near Rt 175 and Snowden River Pkwy and I can almost listen to AA County without an antenna on my PSR 500.... very scratchy but readable. Those days are coming to an end at some point....

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Another new policy, "early helicopter notification." Didn't hear the initial dispatch but it is concerning a call in the Riva area.

Edit:
Engine 32 cancelled the helicopter after arriving.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Another new policy, "early helicopter notification." Didn't hear the initial dispatch but it is concerning a call in the Riva area.

I believe this is a trial for the next few months -- if dispatch believes the details of the incident might eventually warrant a flyout, they can get the crews moving early to shorten the time to get the aircraft to the scene.

This is probably an adjustment to the current plan that has been in place for the last few years following the helo crash in PG County. Nowadays, they don't fly quite as much and when the helo is requested, it's taking a long time to get the crew activated and the helo to the scene.

This is a good step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.