QUESTION about the 800 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

SPERT20906 said:
Can the dispachers use their chat program to talk to units over their radios? Thanks.

Bob

Not likely, but anything is "possible"

lgentle

I'm not sure if this is related (I think it is, though). In the county I do computer work for, I was in their 911 center and overheard that they have a "messaging" system that allows them to "chat" with units. I guess it comes up on their KDT's or MDT's (whichever they are called).

N

N_Jay

lgentle said:
I'm not sure if this is related (I think it is, though). In the county I do computer work for, I was in their 911 center and overheard that they have a "messaging" system that allows them to "chat" with units. I guess it comes up on their KDT's or MDT's (whichever they are called).

That is very comon.

But it is chat (type) not talk (Voice).

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
If the question relates to exchanging info with units they do this via the KDTs.
In my area you will often hear the dispatcher tell the unit to check their KDT or terminal
for Additional Comments (apparently not appropriate for airing).
If they can exchange "official" info I guess it is safe to assume that un-official "chat" can
occur (keeping in mind that everything is probably recorded for posterity).

troymail

Silent Key
Seems possible but unlikely - dependent on the system and policies of that system or jurisdiction....

I recall several years ago that a jurisdiction (DC Police?) had an email or chat capability and abused it. All of the messages were recorded and an audit or some other review uncovered all kinds of improper/offensive uses of the system.

Most juridictions - fearing legal actions - would probably severly limit this kind of open-ended capability.

Many CAD systems (printers, KDTs) have that ability to get info to the responders in the notes without having to broadcast those types of details over the air but they are part of the offcial incident record/dispatch data.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you Troy, but, some individuals, companies, governments, etc don't learn from the mistakes of others. I guess the short answer to his question is, "yup the capability may well be there in some places but not to count on it."

SPERT20906

troymail said:
I don't understand the question.....

I just saw were part of the question was erased [maybe hit my back space too fat - sorry]

But can a dispatcher use his or his chat program to talk over the aire [like this;

[HAPPY NEW YEAR] <- dispatchers computer

walkie talkie on the filed or some unit on the road -> |
[] ~'happy new year~

Last night after posting this I was thinking that it may be like packet radio & I dis research & found some business that can send things from computer over the air to a cell phone, & I thought that maybe they can do this with voice too since cell phones can use both text as in what I am doing now & voice [do not know if they go together or not? But they do have data to speach programs & these chat program can use both, so maybe they can use both?]

SPERT20906

bwhite said:
I agree with you Troy, but, some individuals, companies, governments, etc don't learn from the mistakes of others. I guess the short answer to his question is, "yup the capability may well be there in some places but not to count on it."

I did once here it over a police radio in a patrol car, but did not know if it was done by someone from their computer or not. But maybe someone who uses it will tell me, after all it was MONTGOMERY COUNTY EMERGENCY COMMUICATIONS CENTER [ECC] that gave me this web site so maybe they will tell me.

Thanks.

SPERT20906

troymail said:
Seems possible but unlikely - dependent on the system and policies of that system or jurisdiction....

I recall several years ago that a jurisdiction (DC Police?) had an email or chat capability and abused it. All of the messages were recorded and an audit or some other review uncovered all kinds of improper/offensive uses of the system.

Most juridictions - fearing legal actions - would probably severly limit this kind of open-ended capability.

Many CAD systems (printers, KDTs) have that ability to get info to the responders in the notes without having to broadcast those types of details over the air but they are part of the offcial incident record/dispatch data.

I remember that, I think some people got fired too. It is sad that people abuse things.

SPERT20906

Maybe the radio shack people will tell me if it will pick up the county stuff like 7 G, so maybe the dig. part is just for a limited thing.

SPERT20906

I need the type of radio that MONTGOMERY COUNTY uses as in type & # + can someone give me the freq for 7G or is that not allowed? Also will calling ECC be able to help me. Thanks

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The only scanners that Radio Shack sells that will pick up Montgomery's trunked radio system are the Pro-96 and Pro-2096. These are their digital scanners.

There is no specific frequency for 7G, the trunked radio system just picks a frequency (within the trunked system) to use when a radio keys up on 7G.

And, no, I wouldn't suggest calling the ECC for radio information. Not only are they busy with incoming 911 and non-emergency calls, the dispatchers generally don't have a lot of knowledge about how the radio system works.

SPERT20906

BoxAlarm187 said:
The only scanners that Radio Shack sells that will pick up Montgomery's trunked radio system are the Pro-96 and Pro-2096. These are their digital scanners.

There is no specific frequency for 7G, the trunked radio system just picks a frequency (within the trunked system) to use when a radio keys up on 7G.

And, no, I wouldn't suggest calling the ECC for radio information. Not only are they busy with incoming 911 and non-emergency calls, the dispatchers generally don't have a lot of knowledge about how the radio system works.

Thanks, I tried some of the 800 things on the internet as well as the scanner book & it seens like all it is is data signals & the pro [higher then mine] has the thing needed to turn it in to sound. Something like this;

beep beeep beep [like morse code] & the digital ones will take the data & turn it in to voice [I think, or will it look like text like on here?]

Thanks

Will the people @ RADIO SHACK be able to tell me, see dad got the pro-94 for Christmas for me. If the 7G is all text then I do not want it. I tried looking it up on the Internet but all I got was the 866.#### & no text about 7G or any thing. Could it be that it is like any radio as in people having a #' & letter for each freq & there is really no radio that will have 7a,b,c,d,h, so on? Also when I was scanning I thought I heard a carrier & what sounded like a fadid signal [dead key]

Who knows the only way may be to listen to it by computer as in someday ECC may have a web site [or this one] with

click here for 7a [& so on]

Oh well, all I can do is wait until tomorrow & if need be I am sure dad will get a digital one. We all make mistakes. But why did they make the pro-94 if it will not pick up the trunk things? Could there be some trunked that are not digital out there?

Will see what happens & let you all know when it does & what I find out, for all I know the digital is no voice but text messaging. But who knows, God does.

Good night all & thanks.

Bob

SPERT20906

BoxAlarm187 said:

BOX ALARM 187 is that station 18?

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
If you go to the Montgomery County web site and follow the links you can get to the fire department audio of 7A and 7B.
Sorry to sound negative but listen to the folks on this site and not to the sales people at Radio Shack. The only Frequencies your radio is going to pick up for Montgomery is the non-digital frequencies. You can only pick up 7A and 7B.
BoxAlarm187 profile says VA so I would say he is not from Station 18 in Glenmont.

Last edited:

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
SPERT20906 said:
Oh well, all I can do is wait until tomorrow & if need be I am sure dad will get a digital one. We all make mistakes. But why did they make the pro-94 if it will not pick up the trunk things? Could there be some trunked that are not digital out there?

Yes, the Pro-94 is designed to pick up non-digital trunked radio systems. There are still quite a few of those out there, but Montgomery doesn't happen to be one of them.

When you get a Pro-96 (or other digital scanner), you'll program all of the frequencies into it, and then all of the talkgroups. 7A is a talkgroup, 7B is a talkgroup, 7C is a talkgroup, etc, etc, etc. Once you have the talkgroups, you'll be able to go to that "channel" and listen in to the action.

I'm not sure where you got the idea where "text" will print out on the radio, or that the radio can decode text into voice, but that's not something that happens on the public safety radios. The only text you'll see is the screen telling you what channel or talkgroup you happen to be on.

And MCMD5 is correct, I am in Virginia, no attachments to Montgomery County, other than I know a firefighter that works there.

SPERT20906

MCMD5 said:
If you go to the Montgomery County web site and follow the links you can get to the fire department audio of 7A and 7B.
Sorry to sound negative but listen to the folks on this site and not to the sales people at Radio Shack. The only Frequencies your radio is going to pick up for Montgomery is the non-digital frequencies. You can only pick up 7A and 7B.
BoxAlarm187 profile says VA so I would say he is not from Station 18 in Glenmont.

Thanks, aren't they also going to put the listening stuf [digital] on here someday, I will wait to see what dad wants me to do, also they do sometimes patch 7g or whatever on 7b [ch1] & mainly when they have the state helicoptors come. I am wondering if the 800 will work for the helicoptors, but I think DC & medsta have them.

Thanks

Bob

Is it you ro someone else on here who works @ station 5? Anyhoew have fun @ work.

Status
Not open for further replies.