New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
AS the standard answer goes --- it depends...

What do you use it for? What are you not getting with your 250 that you'll get with the 396? Do you have 500+ dollars to spend on something that may not give you anything more than what you already have?

I personally have pretty much continously upgraded as the new radios came out -- BC235 -> BC245 -> BC296 -> BCD396. I skipped the 250 because at the time, I didn't need digital but in prep for my local county going digital (they still haven't), I got the 296. I wasn't going to get the 396 but when they got released for sale I suddenly found myself wanting one (and I have to say I love it). It's smaller and lighter and has some additional features (some which take some time to get used to).

Right now, my 396 is in a Fedex truck somewhere in Texas on it's way back to me after being repaired (the rub-off labels problem). In the mean time, I reverted back to my 296 and for the most part the only thing I dislike about the 296 (after using my 396 exclusively for 6 months) is that the battery pack in the 296 has always been crap and dies quickly... the 396 uses regular rechargable batteries and that has to be the best improvement I've seen in handheld Bearcat scanners in a long time (but still behind trunking and alpha tagging capabilities).

If you've got the money and/or are somehow limited by the 250, then go for it. Just remember, there's always something new just around the corner....

... sorry ... I don't think this helps you much in deciding....

Last edited:

Dank

I'm no expert, but in the many posts about rebanding, I do recall that the BC250D will not be supported. Alan or Mike, please correct me if I am out of line. I don't know the timeline for this to occur, but if you take care of your 250 I'm surre it will last until rebanding does finally begin. I know your interested in AA Co, so until they go digital and you can't scann thier system with your 250, I wouldn't spend the extra money. Besides if you wait the prices on the newer models should come down too. I personally have a 296 that I really like. My wife bought it for me for Xmas 2004. She told me she went for it because the digital card was installed, where it was an option for an additional ciost with the 250. You may want to check out that option if you don't have the digital card. I think they used to be $125.00, but they may be cheaper now.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.