Balt County FD - New Radios Today - NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

1080iAddict

Well, check out this story on WJZ:

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_019194459.html

There is even a video to watch. Pretty neat that at about 10:20 today, I actually heard (what are the chances!!!) the "radio check" transmissions you see on that video between the chiefs of Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County. Those were on Talk Group 1-2 (channel 368). I know, because it was bizarre and I never heard that before on talk group 368. Well folks, unless I am missing something obvious, that channel remains analog, and the other chiefs must have been talking in analog using their radios.

So while it may be true that Baltimore County is going digital, the test they shot for the news today to promote the new radios was on an analog channel. Baltimore County did not go digital for that test - everyone else went analog.

Something is being pulled over my eyes. No Comprendo.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The last word I got was that the county did indeed get new radios; but they're dual mode, and can do either digital or analog. My inside source has died - literally - but as I understand it, the county has no plans to migrate to digital, but still wants to be able to affiliate to a digital system if necessary. It's possible that Baltimore city and Howard were using a tac channel in analog? That doesn't make sense, tho i suppose it's possible.

Updates welcome 73s Mike

[edit] It just hit me - we haven't heard much testing on the ICall channels of late; they're all analog, I think...those are shown on the 'N' channel plan. The 'P' channel plan encompasses all the areas you mentioned (see the database). If they weren't showing off Icall or RINS (that's in the 'O' channel plan), then I bet they were on 'P'.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I saw the same report on Channel 11.... and wondered the same thing... BCounty has been able to switch over and talk on the AA County system for quite some time now... at least some units.... Station 36 units run into AA County on a regular basis and Station 5 goes to BWI (on the AA County system) all of the time... I suppose these county bordering stations may have had "advanced" installations of radios that allow them to access AA County and now the rest of BCounty is being caught up...

AA County and Baltimore County are still analog and I know some Howard TGs are analog but they are mostly digital and I believe B City is completely digital...

I guess the big thing is that all 4 jurisdictions can now respond into the other's area and switch directly to their incident TG -- which I will admit it a huge benefit.

Does anyone have any comments/details about these "new" radios?

mlevin

All Baltimore Co. FD portables and mobiles are being switched over to XTS/XTL 5000s which can do both analog and digital trunking and switch between other jurisdictions systems. The FD has slowly been changing their portables for the last year or so, and most of the FD has the new radios. The PD is still mostly using MTS 2000 analog portables with a few select units, mostly narcotics/vice/command staff using the new digital portables as well.

doctordave

Mo,

Regarding the Balt Co PD units, I've seen some conflicting info....do they have the MTS 2000 radios programmed for I-CALL / I-TACs?

skipshark773

wow, they certanly have come along way. Back in the day when I worked for BCOPD their idea of interop consisted of having certan units (like CID) carry two radios. One county MTS and a STX programmed with the other surrounding county systems. Although, we did have 2 talkgroups in the MTS' for AACO PD, BCPD, and Carroll County SO/MSP, i never saw them used. Keep in mind though, this was before Howard and Harford Counties decided they wanted in on the trunked action too. Heh, good old balto co...buying $3,500 digital pac sets and using them for analog, at least it gives the appearance of having digital. I wonder if they realize that the old PSM's won't work with XTS portables...? Oh well, its nice to see them getting new equipment.

1080iAddict

With all the above said, I still find it funny that the official media test was on an analog channel, and the other jurisdictions must have been transmitting on analog - not digital!! I am right - no? Channel 368 is analog. With my 396 in the B. county analog trunked configuration, I heard digital baltimore city just fine. I would have thought for a real test Baltimore county would have transmit in digital.

Unless I am completely wrong: Was it possibly simulcast in both digital and analog?

allscan

Premium Subscriber
If they tested in digital and it didn't work, how do you think all those politians pushing "inter-operability" are going to feel? Last time I checked, aren't there nationwide mutual aid frequencies in all public service bands?

mlevin

doctordave said:
Mo,

Regarding the Balt Co PD units, I've seen some conflicting info....do they have the MTS 2000 radios programmed for I-CALL / I-TACs?

Don't know for sure, but I don't think so. I know FD does.

mlevin

1080iAddict said:
With all the above said, I still find it funny that the official media test was on an analog channel, and the other jurisdictions must have been transmitting on analog - not digital!! I am right - no? Channel 368 is analog. With my 396 in the B. county analog trunked configuration, I heard digital baltimore city just fine. I would have thought for a real test Baltimore county would have transmit in digital.

Unless I am completely wrong: Was it possibly simulcast in both digital and analog?

No the transmission was analog being that the Baltimore Co. trunk currently has no digital capabilities on the repeaters.

I think you're missing the point though. The point isn't that the County is digital or analog. The point is that all the metro jurisdictions (City, County, AA, Howard) can all talk to each other because they all have radios that are compatible with each others systems. At the end of the day that's what matters in interoperability. As long as everyone can talk to each other, regardless of digital or not, that's what makes the difference.

skipshark773

i dont know about the I-TAC channels. I believe they have the RINS in them. We did have a couple of talkarounds, and some channels that were labeled IAC. I cant recall the exact TG numbers, i could try to find them in my files somewhere though....

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Folks just because the Portable & Mobile radios are Dual mode, digital and analog, doesnt mean the radio system is, the radio system has to be a digital system for them to transmit in digital, they just cant flip a switch on the radio or console and make it digital. Baltimore Co is still an analog system.

They did the test to show that AA,B-City, How Co, Carr Co could all talk on the B-County system and vice versa so they have interoperability when on the same fireground.

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.