Got the Pro96...serial question

Status
Not open for further replies.

twocats

I finally broke down and got the Pro96. Unfortunately, RS sent me the wrong serial connector. It's female, and I've got a female serial port only on my PC. Does anyone know what type of connector I need, or if I can just put a modifier plug on it? Thanks.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I hope your not looking at a video port or something like that, all of my computers have male serial ports on them. If you do have a female serial port, then you need a gender changer, usually can pick them up at most computer stores.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
No, you are probably looking at the external monitor hookup. You will need a USB -> serial port converter.

twocats

Yep, I was just about to post that. I checked, and of course being a laptop, no serial. I'm so used to having those that I didn't even bother looking before. So I'll need that darn USB to serial. Thanks for responding anyway :)

n3ijw

Premium Subscriber
My Toshiba Satellite A45-S121 does not have a serial port.

Many newer laptops and PC motherboards are no longer fitted with serial ports. Most people simply don't use them.

twocats

Mine's a Dell Inspiron 1200, relatively new. I wish they would still include them, though, instead of making people have to buy all the extra stuff. I found some old floppys the other day and was wondering what was on them, but just like the serial, I forgot that there's no floppy drive on here, either.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"I've never seen a laptop without a DB-9 serial port."

I've never seen a laptop sold in the past 2-3 years with a serial port, and most desktop motherboards have the serial port as an external connection, not integrated.

Drifter

Ah Inspiron (desktop replacement) I guess they are still putting all the ports in. We use the Latitude line and although they are lighter I do miss the ports sometimes.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Now that GRE is selling a USB cable for programming (see Don S's recent discovery) this should become less of a concern. Now, I wonder when Uniden will follow suit? 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.