Stat MedEvac

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

I saw one of these land at Howard County General this afternoon.

Tail # 955ME
Didn't catch any radio traffic though.

Mike

I can't figure out how to put the picture in this post.

Attachments

• stat.jpg
    stat.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 4,254

TinEar

Guess they lease their helos Mike. Here's the registration on the 955ME...

N-number : N955ME
Aircraft Serial Number : 7243
Aircraft Manufacturer : MESSERSCHMITT
Model : BK 117 B-1
Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
Model : LTS-101 SER
Aircraft Year : 1991
Owner Name : MAXUS LEASING GROUP INC
Owner Address : 31300 BAINBRIDGE RD
CLEVELAND, OH, 44139-2233
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 26-Aug-2005
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Transport

And for the 766ME in the picture......

N-number : N766ME
Aircraft Serial Number : 9066
Aircraft Manufacturer : EUROCOPTER DEUTSCHLAND GMBH
Model : MBB-BK 117 C-2
Engine Manufacturer : TURBOMECA
Model : ARRIEL 1SER
Aircraft Year : 2005
Owner Name : CFS AIR LLC
Owner Address : 44 OLD RIDGEBURY RD
DANBURY, CT, 06810-5107
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 23-Sep-2005
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Transport

baybum

My sister was a flight nurse with MedStar. In addition to shootings and MVA's,
She made alot of patient transport flights from state to state. These flights are usually ordered and arranged by the patient's doctor. Maybe The person is from here and got sick in Ohio, or visa versa.

18-3box

They have "Stat Medevac" at Martin State Airport. I was out on the tarmac and got to see the inside and then they got a call and had to fly out. If my memory serves me correctly, they had two there (I added this- memory came back).

Another Question- When I listen to AACOFD dispatch, they dispatch an engine to establish a landing site for MSP helicopter (Maryland State Police Medivac) lets say for instance 5 miles away. You don't see them until they fly over toward Shock Trauma, but it is not the MSP medivac, it is one of those helicopters, gold and black colors on the exterior. Are they owned by MSP or are they replacement choppers if (for ex.) Trooper 1 is o/s, do they replace it with this chopper?

Last edited:

2gigch1

Premium Subscriber
In Maryland State Police Troopers and the US Park Police Eagle handle on site emergency medivacs without exception. It has to do with politics and money, for there is no real legal reason why private helicopters couldn't do the job, but if I remember right it also has to do with billing (I'm not sure but obviously private choppers need to be paid for services while Troopers are covered by taxes / fees)

There is however quite a business in interhospital air ambulance transfers. If a patient in serious condition in Cumberland needs to go to Hopkins for specialized care it is likely they will go by air ambo, and that is a job for a private company.

Reality is there are maybe a dozen or more Stat Medivacs and the like in Maryland for just this reason, and they get a lot of work.

18-3box: If you are hearing a call for a Trooper and you see a Stat Medivac around the same time that is only coincidence; as of now they will NEVER be used to replace a Trooper for a field call.

18-3box

I just think it is wierd because you would hear the call for MSP, but see one of those. It wasn't a stat medivac, it is black and (mostly) dark gold. Maybe it is an error. They sometimes set it up for "Eagle 1," too. But if they say MSP and Eagle 1 flies from the LZ, I am guessing it was probably an error or something.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for disrupting the original question(s).

GARRETT

Stat Medivac

You are correct STAT MEDEVAC has been in business for a few years in the Baltimore area I believe they are stationed at Martins, They contract mainy with JHUH and I believe University Of MD Hosp. to do their inter-facility transports the same was MEDSTAR does for WHC and AIR CARE does for FairFax Hospital. There home office is in Ohio. They probably have an aircraft from their home office stationed down here I rember this because I attended PYRAMID (an EMS conference a couple years ago and they had reps from MEDSTAR, STATMEDEVAC, USPP and MSP explaining each of their roles. In Calvert CO. If MSP is tied up we will get the USPP Eagle and if both police agencies helos are tied up THEN AND ONLY THEN can we request MEDSTAR for a scene medevac because they are private. But we have to specifically request MEDSTAR communications will not call them unless we specifically tell them to call.

18-3box

Heard it again:

"Engine 2-1 respond to set up a landing site for MSP trooper. (shuts off)..... Eagle 1 with a 10 minute E.T.A. at XXXX middle school (yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah). What is this all about?

2gigch1

Premium Subscriber
In a lot of ways MSP Troopers and the Eagle are interchangeable; the Eagle quickly comes in for medivacs in the DC metro area.

Dank

18-3box said:
Heard it again:

"Engine 2-1 respond to set up a landing site for MSP trooper. (shuts off)..... Eagle 1 with a 10 minute E.T.A. at XXXX middle school (yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah). What is this all about?

What are you asking about the engine company to setup an LZ or first hearing a reference to MSP and then Eagle? It's routine to dispatch an engine to secure the LZ antyime a medevac helo lands somewhere that is not an airport or approved helopad. Depending on resources available you can even have a squad or truck company handle the LZ. I think alot of the helo dispatch confusion is due to available resources. Naturally most MD usints will ask for MSP or 'start a trooper'. I have heard many comms where the dispatcher replies to the requesting unit , 'per syscom you have ....' I assume that is the first due helo is not available syscom will then dipatch the next one.

bear105

I live within a 1/2 mile of I-95 and the MSP Troopers fly over the house daily. I guess they follow 95 North and South. I rarely hear any specific traffic as they are traversing except the initial call out on 44.74Mhz. Every now and then some chatter on 123.025Mhz. Is there other freqs I should be listening to??

wadeless28

bear105 said:
I live within a 1/2 mile of I-95 and the MSP Troopers fly over the house daily. I guess they follow 95 North and South. I rarely hear any specific traffic as they are traversing except the initial call out on 44.74Mhz. Every now and then some chatter on 123.025Mhz. Is there other freqs I should be listening to??

Hey Bear,
Nope unless they are working specifically with a barrack or a jurisdiction they are on 44.74. I have both 44.74 and 123.025 on all of the time and have pretty steady chatter.

As for 18-3 and the trooper/eagle thing.... AACo uses both MSP and Park Police for Medevacs, nothing else.

As a little commentary to that. All citizens in Maryland that have drive cars that are registered in Maryland pay for the Medevac service provided by the MSP. It is a charge that was added to your registration fee's a few years back. If I am lying in a ditch and need a medevac I would prefer to have an MSP Trooper transport me to Shock Trauma then have private carrier decide whether it would be monetarily feasible to do that. Then charge me for something that I, and everyone else, already pays for. End of commentary.

Mike

skipshark773

wadeless28 said:
As a little commentary to that. All citizens in Maryland that have drive cars that are registered in Maryland pay for the Medevac service provided by the MSP. It is a charge that was added to your registration fee's a few years back. If I am lying in a ditch and need a medevac I would prefer to have an MSP Trooper transport me to Shock Trauma then have private carrier decide whether it would be monetarily feasible to do that. Then charge me for something that I, and everyone else, already pays for. End of commentary.

Mike

Just wanted to add my .02 to this. Out here in Colorado, if you are transported by ambo to a hospital you get a bill in the mail for their services. In addition, alot of our medical services are contracted out to other companies. For instance, Littleton, CO's EMS provider is Action Care Ambulance. Boulder uses Pridemark, Fort Collins uses the ambo and EMS crews from Poudre Valley Hospital ect. It all depends on which area/Fire Protection District/Authority/ect you live in. Private companies seem to be the norm as far as EMS responses go out here, which is unusual since ive grown up with ambos painted with Baltimore County Fire Rescue on them. Some communities and developments even have their own EMS/Public Safety, even "private" police departments that are paid for by HOA fees. Its a new system that, having only lived here for half a year, I still have trouble with...along with the snowplows that have blue emergency lights.... ;) [/digression]

csvff78

STAT Medevac is based in Pittsburgh, thats the reason for the black and gold (I realize black and gold is not popular in the Baltimore area).They are affiliated with the Center for Emergency Medicine, and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. They use 155.265 PL 103.5 here in Pittsburgh. We have noticed a new license pop up for them on 159.480. We have heard nothing around here. The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is a rather large group of hospitals. STAT Medevac has expanded coverage to serve that area.
UPMC's link is http://www.upmc.edu
STAT Medevac is at http://www.statmedevac.com/

They at one time leased their aircraft from Corporate Jet. Looking at the N number info doesn't look like they are anymore. For the most part they are switching over to the Eurocopter, but there is still a Dauphin, some BK-117's, and another aircraft.

We have Life Flight and STAT in Pittsburgh. If you call for a helo for a scene run they will notify you of both services ETA and typically send the closest, unless the field personel over ride that. They are "competing" services, but for scene runs will get the closest helo there.

I guess I got a little long winded,
Frank K3FSS
http://www.geocities.com/csvff78

TinEar

Denis, the MSP helos (and any other medevac flight) also use all the normal flying frequencies required of anything in flight. If they're based at Martin State Airport, those freqs (121.3/121.8) and the Potomac TRACON freqs servicing BWI (119.0/119.7) might be heard. There are others for BWI but those two are the most frequently heard for Martin based aircraft. The Troopers/Eagles flying near Andrews will be heard there (118.4/119.3) and any helo around DC will be heard on the DC Helo freq of 120.75. The TRACON freqs for Dulles/Reagan will also be heard when the helo is in their areas. In short, there are many freqs the helo pilot must use to fly from Point A to Point B in addition to the fire freqs belonging to the responding jurisdiction and the SysCOM freqs.

Alan

Last edited:

18-3box

Dank said:
What are you asking about the engine company to setup an LZ or first hearing a reference to MSP and then Eagle? It's routine to dispatch an engine to secure the LZ antyime a medevac helo lands somewhere that is not an airport or approved helopad. Depending on resources available you can even have a squad or truck company handle the LZ. I think alot of the helo dispatch confusion is due to available resources. Naturally most MD usints will ask for MSP or 'start a trooper'. I have heard many comms where the dispatcher replies to the requesting unit , 'per syscom you have ....' I assume that is the first due helo is not available syscom will then dipatch the next one.

That is not what I am trying to get to you, MSP has no affiliation with Eagle 1 and whatever the US Park Police also owns. Nothing in relation with the engine company- I have always knew about the LZ and the engine to establish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.