RFP for New Wicomico Public Safety Radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
...engineer, furnish, and install a Project 25 Phase II 700/800 MHz trunked simulcast radio system

http://www.wicomicocounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/3427

...anticipates the selection of the Vendor(s) on or about December 31, 2015.

Project commencement (per the RFP) is January 29, 2016
Wicomico County is strongly supportive of the Project 25 platform for the implementation of public safety communications in the United States. The County also believes that it is in their best interest and the interest of its citizens that the implementation of the new radio system be a P25 Phase II (6.25 kHz channels) system.
The County’s preliminary design indicated that the system will require a minimum of six (6) towers across the County (currently three towers).​
The existing Naylor Mill towers are at 411 W Naylor Mill Rd, Salisbury, MD 21801. Based upon the structural analysis report noted in Section 4.4, Wicomico County will require the removal of both existing towers, replacing them with a new single tower (the County’s preference).​
Wicomico County is committed to provide comprehensive in-building coverage in the City of Salisbury (see Section XIV). Preliminary designs indicate that the new radio system will require at least one (1) new tower site to be located within the city limits.​
Wicomico County currently does not have AVL deployed for its fleet. However, the City of Salisbury FD does have AVL operational on its vehicles, which is provided through a city contract. Wicomico County is seeking an AVL deployment for its fleet.​
It won't be on FiRST...
Wicomico County determined in its Evaluation of Upgrade Options for the Public Safety Trunked Radio System(s), that is was in the best interest of the County and its residents not to rely upon Maryland FiRST as its sole or primary communications system for the next fifteen (15) years.
However, Wicomico County does view Maryland FiRST as an integral part of the County’s future public safety communications system. Wicomico County is currently negotiating an MOU with Maryland FiRST concerning the role it will play in the new Wicomico County radio system.
Wicomico County is committed to working with Maryland FiRST to ensure its success.​
And this was interesting note in the RFP:
The County is also aware that the towers currently being used for Maryland FiRST, and other State of Maryland functions, are not ANSI/TIA 222 Rev. G Class III rated.​

I guess Hogan will eventually be asked to spend even more money on FiRST....

Last edited:

emtLarmy15

I suspect that some of the older FiRST towers are not compliant. I would hope all of the newer towers that were constructed are...

I also found it interesting that SU PD is listed as a agency needing subscriber equipment (see the other thread about them). I assume they are either planning to switch or at least want the option.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Interesting...

I thought some of the Eastern Shore counties would be going the FiRST but for the most part, it looks less and less likely.

ocguard

Interesting...

I thought some of the Eastern Shore counties would be going the FiRST but for the most part, it looks less and less likely.

I definitely thought the same thing. The topography of the Eastern Shore would have allowed the relatively low portable coverage design of FiRST to be sufficient for county-based users.

Its funny -- look around at the different state-wide radio networks that are deployed. SO MANY of them have loaded many if not most of their county and municipal agencies as primary users. In Maryland? One.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I definitely thought the same thing. The topography of the Eastern Shore would have allowed the relatively low portable coverage design of FiRST to be sufficient for county-based users.

Its funny -- look around at the different state-wide radio networks that are deployed. SO MANY of them have loaded many if not most of their county and municipal agencies as primary users. In Maryland? One.

Very true... I am familiar with the WV system and NC VIPER system. They have a ton of counties on those systems.

I wonder if for Maryland FiRST one of the reasons is that it is a "later" system then these other states. Many of these statewide systems have been around for a long time. I know that most counties in Central MD have "modern" radio systems (Carroll, Balt City, Balt Co, etc.) and they don't need to pay money or have to deal with migrating to FiRST.

In the long run with all these counties choosing to go away from FiRST, it makes you wonder if all the hundreds of millions of dollars building out this system statewide is really worth it?

I think Talbot is the only other county that has chosen to move to FiRST other then Kent.

emtLarmy15

Maybe it has a lot to do with the poor performance of the system. Many of yall comment how great it is... Most users I speak to don't like it at all when compared to other systems...

troymail

Silent Key
Very true... I am familiar with the WV system and NC VIPER system. They have a ton of counties on those systems.

Some of these can be deceiving. I think each county is given a talkgroup ID range and in some cases, the county is connected into the State system and can appear (as necessary) as if they are actually on the system. Dare County NC is an example.

With some exceptions (PG, St. Mary's), we're seeing both TGID and radio IDs allocations on the P25 systems in Maryland.

I wonder if for Maryland FiRST one of the reasons is that it is a "later" system then these other states. Many of these statewide systems have been around for a long time. I know that most counties in Central MD have "modern" radio systems (Carroll, Balt City, Balt Co, etc.) and they don't need to pay money or have to deal with migrating to FiRST.

From what I've heard, the counties that can afford it (can they really?) it's more about "control". FiRST tried to fix that by bringing reps in from other than the State to make the counties feel like they had more say (control). However, that's probably a bit of too little too late.

In the long run with all these counties choosing to go away from FiRST, it makes you wonder if all the hundreds of millions of dollars building out this system statewide is really worth it?
...and the huge annual expense to keep it running...

I think Talbot is the only other county that has chosen to move to FiRST other then Kent.
Yes - but sometimes when I read what they put in the news last year and wonder if we're reading too much into their "partnering with the State" comments. It also makes me wonder what the other 2 counties in the UES Consortium (Queen Anne and Caroline) are planning... I suspect they'll come on board also.

Curious to see what Western Maryland does too. Partly because they were moved ahead of the central/southern region in the schedule and also because they clearly don't have huge amounts of funds to build/maintain their own systems.

Maybe it has a lot to do with the poor performance of the system. Many of yall comment how great it is... Most users I speak to don't like it at all when compared to other systems...

The other consideration is in-building vs. on-street coverage. In Carroll, there is discussion about state users "roaming" onto the county systems for better in-building coverage. It's almost like this is all a smoke screen for Motorola to sell more systems. Early on in the life of FiRST I read somewhere that to obtain in-building coverage on the State system, the cost of the project would more than double (I think the plan right now for on-street alone is well over $400 million). So - in the end, there seems to be somewhat of a dependence upon "local" systems to obtain complete coverage...

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

Don't forget cost. Depending on implementation, a county can build a standalone P25 system (competitively bid) cheaper than joining FiRST. Add to that the inevitable user fees the state is going to have to start collecting at some point and you will see why the majority of counties (including Wicomico and Worcester) decided not to just jump.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Don't forget cost. Depending on implementation, a county can build a standalone P25 system (competitively bid) cheaper than joining FiRST. Add to that the inevitable user fees the state is going to have to start collecting at some point and you will see why the majority of counties (including Wicomico and Worcester) decided not to just jump.

So Talbot didn't figure that out in advance? Or, as I suspected earlier - we're reading to much into their "partnering with the State" statement? They article I read suggested they believed they were saving the County millions of dollars -- perhaps in initial costs.

That's what gets me about government and politicians - all they think about is NOW ... they don't consider long term and maintenance... or they believe everything the contractor(s)/consultants tell them...

After all - it's just tax dollars....

DisasterGuy

I'm not saying joining FiRST was the wrong choice for Kent, Talbot or Queen Anne's but it doesn't fit everyone and there may be cheaper / better solutions for some where the advantages extend beyond local control. On the lower shore at least the RFPs that you are seeing ate the result of careful thought and considerations operationally, administratively and financially.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Looks like they have added additional documents including Questions/Answers.
Wicomico County, MD - Official Website

They also changed the timeline.

Bid Opening Date October 15, 2015
Bid Evaluation
October 15, 2015
to
December 8, 2015
Interviews of Best Proposals
December 14, 2015
to
December 18, 2015
Selection of Final Proposals December 28, 2015
Best and Final Offer January 15, 2015
Selection of Vendor(s) January 29, 2015
Contract Negotiations
January 29, 2015
to
March 1, 2016
Project Commencement March 1, 2016

troymail

Silent Key

guyiv

Feed Provider
It sounds like that have finished building atleast 1 tower and it looks like they are getting ready to build the tower at the county complex on Naylor Mill Rd. I can see what looks to be the unbuilt tower on my way to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emtLarmy15

9df475e30afd9681dccfc9e373405e10.jpg

New tower at Naylor Mill Rd communications center going up.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It appears that the Salisbury Police will migrate to the new Wicomico 10 channel, 8 site P25 system. Some Salisbury 800 frequencies are already incorporated into the new Wicomico system, and an MOU between the parties was adopted in January of 2017 that formalizes the agreement. The Salisbury Police will have encrypted channels - not sure if every TG will be encrypted, but it does seem that's the way some smaller city departments roll in this state. The agreement calls for two channels / 4 talk paths to be dedicated to the Salisbury Police and/or interoperability. Motorola is directed to design a hardware/software system to enable this functionality. The two channels will operate on 7 of the 8 system sites - the Cedar Hill Park (as it is known in the MOU) standalone site ("Bivalve" in the RRDB) is excluded. There is also mention of equipment space being reserved for a two-channel system for the city (could be part of the Wicomico system, or a seperate system - it's unclear.) Also, the County is seeking an additional 800 channel for a future data / avl capability. Also unclear if this would be an 11th frequency. The city will pay $254/year per subscriber unit for access to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.