MIEMSS New 700 Mhz. Digital...AWESOME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler

MIEMSS will developing a new 700 Mhz. Digital Trunk system to replace the MED channels. It sounds great so far. Unfortunately the radios are going to be expensive. Can't wait to try it out. I wonder if they will buy mobiles and portables for all the units in each company? Unfortunatly it will cut down on squirrelling you own radio.

allscan

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if any other state agencies will piggyback? That would help defray the cost some too. Also, 700 Mhz won't happen until rebandding is completed.

lawman349

most digital-ready agencies are already using the dual band 700/800 Mhz radios. I am sure MIEMSS will simply be another zone in their radio.

Is the system going to be trunked or conventional like NPSPAC?

Whistler

I was told it was going to be trunked. And they are adding other agencies to it. I heard DNR Police and MSP. Our ambulance company is going to ask to be issued an ID to get on the system for our private communications.

lawman349

well its about time...MSP and DNR have been tinkering with lowband long enough. Most of their gear is obsolete and hard to find or out of production.

DNR also has a VHF system. I wonder what will become of that...

I wouldnt count on MIEMSS giving system IDs for the purpose of Company-level communications. Thats alot of capital outlay on their part so that specific companies can use the radio like a cell phone. I would imagine they would offer talkgroups on a statewide or countywide basis for tac use, though.

GARRETT

I AM ASSUMING They would have to haver some kind of patch set up so other state units can operate it, those state that are still on the nationwide med channel radios?

lawman349

i think OpenSky and M/A Com in general are unlikely. Most state resources are Motorola now. Further, the bulk of the state trunke systems are Motorola. Think of the eastern shore...Caroline, Talbot, Queen Anne, Dorchester, Wicomico, and soon Kent county will all be on the UES Consortium Radio System- a MOTOROLA type II digital system.

Then there's Anne Arundel, Charles, Calvert, Howard, Frederick, Montgomery, Carroll, Harford, Baltimore, and Balt City...ALL Motorola 800 TypeII.

The only ones I can think of that are M/A Com systems are Somerset, Worcester, and Cecil.

From an interoperability standpoint, the state cant do anything BUT Motorola. Besides, they piggyback on most Motorola county systems now and they own the portables associated with each system. Why change all that?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I see in latest issue of MT magazine that BWI is getting new $6.9 million P-25 Motorola trunked system.
Motorola claims the first P-25 system in the State of Maryland.
Maryland seems big on MA/COM cause they are based/headquarted in Maryland.

WCRadioGuy

You might think the state is all Moto. You may be surprised to find how much GE equipment they really have. And as you know GE is M/A-COM.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mark said:
I see in latest issue of MT magazine that BWI is getting new $6.9 million P-25 Motorola trunked system.
Motorola claims the first P-25 system in the State of Maryland.
Maryland seems big on MA/COM cause they are based/headquarted in Maryland.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if they truly will be a real P25 system or not; the systems around here have analog voice, which if I understand the standard correctly, disqualifies them as a true P25.

The only one that would qualify is one that the Feds would almost certainly get nervous about reading in print...the 380 mhz system at ---ssshhh--- (no I don't mean the system at Ft.Meade - there's another system...) 73s Mike

ambdrvr

Premium Subscriber
MIEMSS New 700 Mhz...........

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth, but it seems odd to me that MSP is looking into a statewide 700 system when the western counties (allegany and garrett) just replaced their old moto lowbands with brand new Kenwood Lowbands. I mean, why would they spend all that money on new lowbands, and MDT radios to add, if they were going to switch to a new 700 system. I don't mean to say that it won't ever happen, but I would be inclined to think that it might just be a little while off. Like I said, just my two cents worth. :)

Ambdrvr

allscan

Premium Subscriber
I have no doubt it will be a long time until any statewide trunked system comes on-line. Just think of all the licensing, equipment and site work that needs to be completed not to mention that the 700 MHz band isn't really open yet. Even with new low-band stuff, they may do like Harford County did, use their old conventional frequencies as MDT freqs.

doctordave

Lawman349,

You referenced Kent migrating toward being a part of the UES Consortium.....is this for certain? The last I'd heard, Kent was going to simply continue w/ their recently implemented VHF system for police/fire and continue to use patches into the UES 800 system. Would be an interesting development if they decide to shift toward trunked, after all.

tolley

Premium Subscriber
You can bet this radio system is going to happen. The state wouldn't allocate over 100 million dollars and put up several towers statewide and not implement this system. I spoke with a State Trooper today whose in my fire department and they have all of the necessary 700/800 mhz Motorola radios and equipment installed at the Easton Barracks and vehicles. They also have a new tower constructed directly behind the barracks to be used for this radio system. As far as the Western Counties I'm sure they will get their necessary equipment even though their old low bands were upgraded. We are talking about the tax and spend state of Maryland!

Whistler

It will be a done deal. They are utilizing the fiberoptics that was put in between lanes of I-68 and I-70 years ago. The radios will use tower sites as well as fiberoptics cables. They will be able to do video conferencing. The new system will replace the current 10 MED channels. Not sure if MSP will go to the system solely but they may utilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.