Calvert County

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Same points keep coming up:

* County will now be in total control of system operation and reliability. No longer dependent on...

• 95 % 8 dB Residential Coverage county-wide
• 95 % 20 dB Commercial Building Coverage in all town
centers
• 95 % coverage in all 71+ Critical Buildings

I think this came up recently also in another thread:

•Additional radio channels strategically secured in 2014 will provide for a graceful and controlled cutover while providing channel capacity for the future

and - even thinking about helping FiRST in the future:

* Potential partnerships to share tower sites with State of Maryland (Calvert will get 10 brand new towers)

Online expected by the end of 2017

maus92

Premium Subscriber
And lots of mentions of the evil encryption capability...

troymail

Silent Key
And lots of mentions of the evil encryption capability...

These days, I'd be shocked if any new system were to come up without at least some encryption. As long as it's used on a limited basis for protection of private/personal information and other sensitive information and operations, no one should have a problem with it (I'm sure we all want our personal information protected).

maus92

Premium Subscriber
These days, I'd be shocked if any new system were to come up without at least some encryption. As long as it's used on a limited basis for protection of private/personal information and other sensitive information and operations, no one should have a problem with it (I'm sure we all want our personal information protected).

I'm on board (and on record) with limited encryption to protect personal info and provide security for special / surveillance ops - that's a reasonable balance between protection and the public's right-to-know / governmental transparency. However, I get nervous when smaller jurisdictions (particularly those with Sheriff's Departments that provide basic law enforcement services) want encryption with no particular need other than those mentioned above. I also get nervous when I see Sheriffs wearing five-star collar insignia... Don't get me wrong, I am pro LEO, but I also believe that tight citizen / executive oversight is necessary in a free society.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I also get nervous when I see Sheriffs wearing five-star collar insignia...

This bugs me too. A little off topic, but to heck with that. If you have less than 50 people in your department, you don't need anything more than captain's bars. If you have less than 150, no need for anything more than oak leaves. There's more admin needed in police than military units, but the rank-to-personnel-count ratio still pretty much holds true with a little inflation.

/gripe

DisasterGuy

This bugs me too. A little off topic, but to heck with that. If you have less than 50 people in your department, you don't need anything more than captain's bars. If you have less than 150, no need for anything more than oak leaves. There's more admin needed in police than military units, but the rank-to-personnel-count ratio still pretty much holds true with a little inflation.

/gripe
For what it's worth, a Sheriff as a constitutional position is THE chief law enforcement official and 5 (whatever) on an insignia is standard. The same is true of a fire department where THE chief should have 5 bulges (deputy chief with 4, assistant chief with 3, captain with 2 and LT with 1). You can argue that perhaps a deputy chief or assistant chiefs aren't needed but the department should always be headed by a 5 star position.

If you want something to ponder consider volunteer fire companies with 50 members that have a chief, deputy chief, 3 assistants, 4 captains, 4 LT positions and perhaps a few SGT positions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

Also, on a different topic, Calvert County's procurement is another example of the value of competitive bid. Motorola has to be (for whatever reason) taking a loss on this contract. Calvert obtained a hell of a deal and is getting a well specified system for less than what it would have cost them to have even close to comperable performance of joining FiRST. I applaud Calvert for doing their homework and placing value on the time, effort and money to do a competitive and open procurement resulting in beat value for their tax payers.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, a Sheriff as a constitutional position is THE chief law enforcement official and 5 (whatever) on an insignia is standard. The same is true of a fire department where THE chief should have 5 bulges (deputy chief with 4, assistant chief with 3, captain with 2 and LT with 1). You can argue that perhaps a deputy chief or assistant chiefs aren't needed but the department should always be headed by a 5 star position.

If you want something to ponder consider volunteer fire companies with 50 members that have a chief, deputy chief, 3 assistants, 4 captains, 4 LT positions and perhaps a few SGT positions.

Yet the state police is led by a Colonel (Eagle) and I think Montgomery County Police is also a Colonel, and these are much larger forces in general than county sheriff departments, at least in Maryland.

Re: the fire departments, yea that's a bit top heavy, but those are elected positions for part time work, shall we say. Anyway, thinking back to NIMS/ ICS coursework, one leader's effective scope of control / supervision is 6-8 people, i.e. one supervisor for every 8 peeps, so not too outlandish.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Also, on a different topic, Calvert County's procurement is another example of the value of competitive bid. Motorola has to be (for whatever reason) taking a loss on this contract. Calvert obtained a hell of a deal and is getting a well specified system for less than what it would have cost them to have even close to comperable performance of joining FiRST. I applaud Calvert for doing their homework and placing value on the time, effort and money to do a competitive and open procurement resulting in beat value for their tax payers.

Yup, def an open competition is the way to go. Maybe they're getting the used equipment Moto bid for one of the eastern shore contracts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.