Encrypted comms 143.825

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinEar

I've mentioned this net previously but can't find the thread I started for it. (Many months ago.)
The activity is both encrypted (mostly) and occasional clear voice transmissions. Some of the clear voice today identifies it as being military. They mentioned the PX and Commissary. I'd have to guess Ft. Meade but have no idea why I'm hearing it on this freq. It's full meter strength and almost sounds like it should be part of the 380 mHz net. The problem is that while I'm listening to the signal on 143.825, I searched with another radio through the 380 area and can't find duplicate activity in that range. There has been almost constant activity on this freq over the past hour (1115-1215).
The clear voice is digital.

Edit: At 1218, I have someone using 7 for a callsign calling 7G (Seven Golf) and mentions the food court. (Food court???) There was encrypted traffic just before this.
1225: There is a warbling tone before the speaker makes an announcement about the Base Exchange (which I couldn't understand) and then tells units not to respond to this announcement. The fact that he used "Base Exchange" rather than "Post Exchange" might indicate this is an Air Force base rather than Ft. Meade. I thought I heard PX above but that might have been BX also. I don't think I could be hearing traffic from Andrews this loudly - or could I?

Checked the freq again early in the 1400 hour and am just hearing occasional encrypted transmissions -- no clear voice this time.
1440: Both encrypted and clear voice transmissions but my receiver was not tuned correctly for the digital clear voice and so I couldn't understand a word of what was said.
1447: There is a two-way conversation with one side in the clear and the other side encrypted. The clear voice says, "It shouldn't be much longer." He also gave what sounded like a callsign before saying the above but I couldn't copy it.

I guess this could be Andrews based on signal strength of everything from the south of me today. I'm hearing the northern Virginia signals much better than normal today....Arlington and Prince William Fire in the 154 range and VA State Police in the 159 range are exceptionally clear here today - much stronger than normal. That could explain why a signal from Andrews would be so strong at my location today.

1540: The primary speaker - 7 - is calling 7R (Seven Romeo) in the clear several times without receiving a reply. Someone finally answers him with an encrypted transmission. 7 answers in the clear to 7G (Golf) and thanks him for the response. I finally adjusted the digital signal on my Uniden 785D so that I'm reading the clear voice fairly well now. I have the digital setting on 233-1985-3642 (Low-Mid-Hi range).
1555: 7 calls 7G to inquire about the status of 7R at the office. 7G replies with an encrypted transmission.
1605: Encrypted voice between two speakers. Forgot to mention that the scanner does display P25-Enc during these transmissions.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I was listening on that freq during the 5pm hour and all I heard was encrypted squawks. I guess that will mean the end of hearing McGuire Tankers there (as well as Vt. and Ct ANG when they fly around here), or at least making it a lot more difficult, at least on that freq. 73s Mike

TinEar

I've been checking the freq on and off today and haven't heard a thing. Strange, considering how busy it was all day yesterday. Same thing happened last time I reported this net last year. It was busy for a day or two and then it just seemed to disappear. Or maybe the net normally consists of infrequent transmissions other than some special event happening wherever it's located and I'm not staying on the freq long enough to hear it.

c4led

scansomd said:
CID? NCIS? Whatever the AF calls their investigative body? That would be my best guess.

OSI - Air Force Office of Special Investigations

jerseymilair

I know up here in New Jersey, <143.825> is sometimes used between the McGuire tankers as an interplane freq. I last monitored it on 02/09 of this year in AM mode, clear comms.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.