Mil-Air Frequencies Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler

I didn't want to interfere with the Mil-Air Thread already running and sadly to say I didn't want to read all the pages to find the frequencies.

Could someone please share with me military air frequencies that I could probably hear in Allegany County, Western Maryland. I just purchased a IC-208H and it will receive 230.0000 MHz to 399.0000 MHz as well as 479.0000 MHZ to 999.9875 MHz. I should be able to hear some Mil-Air with that bandwidth.

I listen to the commercial air stuff on the scanner but it won't scan the Military bands. Not sure if I could hear GiantKiller or not. You guys listen to everything so I figure that you may be able to get me some frequencies I could hear up here.

Thanks

TinEar

Whistler, I've got to run at the moment but if you'll send me your email address I'll send you my frequency list in .csv format. I'm not sure about the Langley stuff, but you are in a good location to hear the CAP over Camp David and many of the same military units we hear in the Baltimore area. Heck, I'm near Baltimore, freqhopping is in Loudon County VA, dparana is up in PA so we're all over the area. Just remember that all these MilAir - and commercial air - freqs are in AM mode. You didn't mention if you have the 138-144 band but presumably you do if you listen to commercial air. If not, you're going to miss a lot of the fighter activity.

Alan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Whistler - the first thing to do, if you haven't done it already (after mounting the radio, of course) is to get the programming software from RT Systems...

IC 208 software

unless, of course, there's something better out there. The 208 Yahoo group would be the place to find it...

IC 208 Yahoo group

Next, put these in your pocket...

208h programming shortcut

Page with 208 comments

These URLs are from some research I did- I was going to put up a Wiki page on a few ham radios that were milair capable, but there was so little interest in it, I dropped the project.

As for antennas - I would suggest going to the antennas forum and use the search tool (found in one of the pull downs in the blue task bar - don't use the one on the page - it's for a Google search...). I asked a question a while back about milair reception on ham antennas and got a few (not too many) responses, but it has been awhile. Personally I'd look at a Diamond tribander or a NilJon, but there may be better choices. I wouldn't overlook the 208 group as a source of this kind of information, either.

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
TinEar said:
Whistler, I've got to run at the moment but if you'll send me your email address I'll send you my frequency list in .csv format. I'm not sure about the Langley stuff, but you are in a good location to hear the CAP over Camp David and many of the same military units we hear in the Baltimore area. Heck, I'm near Baltimore, freqhopping is in Loudon County VA, dparana is up in PA so we're all over the area. Just remember that all these MilAir - and commercial air - freqs are in AM mode. You didn't mention if you have the 138-144 band but presumably you do if you listen to commercial air. If not, you're going to miss a lot of the fighter activity.

Alan

Al, he's only got 500 memories to play with, tops - now don't go blowing his mind..... :D

Whistler

Thanks for the response. Not sure about the programming software. I have come up with my own cheat sheet for my V-8000. I think the 8000 and 208 program the same. I have programmed 150 of the 200 memories on it by hand by using the mic keypad. It isn't too bad. I figure I will program in the frequencies that I use the most first and then add in the squirrelly stuff a little at a time. I have already set up my frequency program sheet for the 208 I cut and pasted the V-8000 list to a new list and added to it. I could set 100 channels for HAM and then the rest for Local, State, and Federal frequencies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think you're going to find that keying in even 300 frequencies is going to be a chore. And if you're like the rest of us (well, maybe not me - I use virtual frequency files for my 895 - I don't need to reprogram that radio at all...) you're going to swap frequencies in and out; some new ones that are active would swap in, old ones that aren't active are swapped out. It gets to be a pain- particularly if you want to bring back an old freq file because something you had some weeks ago that you dropped is now active again....you'll wish you had some good programming software after a while.

Still tho good luck with the 208. Let us know if it is capable of AM reception in the milair band - the Universal website didn't say too much about it. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.