Trying to establish a Regional Fire Buff Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Hello to all. I have recently been looking into options on how to get a Firebuff network established. This would cover a regional area from northern Va to New England. There would be local tkgps which would allow the user to dispatch fires,rescues, ems and other major emergencies ect. The network also would entertain comments and questions if they are on location of the incident for example a large fire in Baltimore city. I would love for this network to be open to all persons interested, Firebuffs, amateur radio , News stations ect. In my area i have reached out to my local Kenwood NXDN dealer who has provided a coverage map. This system is all linked repeaters which allow digital communication. I realize today with Facebook, fire paging services this information is sent out extremely fast. I am trying to bring Fire buffs and other radio enthusiast together with voice. Text messages don't allow voice to voice comm's. I would encourage calls to be dispatched and updated upon if possible. I realize cell phones allow voice comm's but everyone "non radio people" have them. I realize that smartphones utilize apps to listen to online scanner connections. This network wont require a wifi connection. Our hobby of monitoring and using radios is unique and requires skill that is fun to maintain. I am in the very beginning phase of this project. I am seeking information from RR follows on how to accomplish this network and build the word. Listed below is the website with the coverage map.

Two-Way Radios, Push-to-Talk, Nexedge, Radio Dispatch

Do any follows have knowledge of local buff networks established ? I know there is Long Island fire radio, Boston Fire radio , New England buff radio, NY/NJ fire radio and 1 frequency for Washington DC which covers DC,Montgomery, PGCo. and northern virginia.

Does anyone have experience with using kenwood Nexedge or NXDN radios ?

Are there any other ways to accomplish this while costing te least amount of money ? Maybe using GRMS repeaters or Motorola DMR or ........ect

Do any follows have connections to local news affiliates who could benefit from this info and possibly wont to help the cause ?

Believe me money is a big deal as well. I am a Firefighter not a millionaire so I am interested in the most cost effective way to make the clearest comm's possible, and build a network that wont constantly break
or be offline.

Thank you and I look forward to any comments.

Be safe fellow RR fellows.

Last edited:

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I am a little surprised out of the 204 followers who have read my thread i have not recieved a single comment. Maybe some were being nice and rather not be negitive. I was hoping everyone knows what a firebuff is ? It was explained to me that maybe some do not. If an individual hears a call goes to it and takes a picture. That is a buff. Most of use are squirrly enough to fall under that title. The only thing my idea adds is a way for a person to connect to others with in the same hobby , utilizing a trunk radio system. This system is on the business band which doesnt require the individual to hold there own license. Which means the ability for a lot of people to have access.

Second thing i was surprised was not single follow has ever used a kenwood NXDN capable radio ? I havent and want to know if the equipment is quality. I have been a motorola guy for a very long time.

The only thing i am still waiting on is price. NXDN is kenwood so a user would have to use that radio. I was told it would cost around 5-10 dollars a month per transmitter a person wishes to be connected to. I am still negotiating being able to hear all tkgps but only paying for your closets transmitter.

Third thing, my question about DMR for business. Not on single follow has ever used a Motorola DMR radio system? Good - bad - or not sure ?

I posted hear hopefully to recieve positive and or negative feedback. I was surprised by none.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Check our - IFBA

Lots of groups already aroung.

Firebuff880 thank you for providing me that link. Looks pretty cool. I will look into joining. I keep thinking my verbage is off on my original post. This is not me trying to re-invent the wheel. I should of used the would radio in my title. This is truly only an add on to the current buff activity. I was just looking for a way to tap into the fire buff activity. With most buffs already used to using radios to listen, it seemed fitting to allow them to talk using a radio. The word network was the form of the radio trunking system not the word to represent a group of people. I am going to be running some testing on the system with some friends spread out on the east coast in various states. Hopefully it will be a successful test on coverage.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Back to the drawing board

I spoke to the wide area coverage manager for the business and he said that the coverage map shows the future and not the current. In the future the area will be filled in. This will cost to much for an individual at this time. thanks to all the follows who read my initial thread. i still plan to figure out a way to do this in the future.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I spoke to the wide area coverage manager for the business and he said that the coverage map shows the future and not the current. In the future the area will be filled in. This will cost to much for an individual at this time. thanks to all the follows who read my initial thread. i still plan to figure out a way to do this in the future.

Yea man, sorry but I was thinking it was going to be costly - and you're correct, I didn't want to be a negative nancy.

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
This will cost to much for an individual at this time. thanks to all the follows who read my initial thread. i still plan to figure out a way to do this in the future.

Zello might be a good replacement. Not as cool/fun as "real" radio but I suspect most/all interested parties have a cell phone that would support the app.

Last edited:

boatbod

Not to dismiss the OP's suggestion, but with limited hours in the day and week, if find myself on a fire scene I better be wearing turnout gear and be equipped with fireground radio.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
After I created this thread and seeing many thought it was not a worth while endeavor i choose to drop the entire thing. I no longer have a zello account for firebuff stuff. It seems that there are many zello channels for firebuff stuff but most are very quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.