AA County TRS upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
For those of you who may have noticed - at least on the fire department TGs - AA County is doing some kind of "major" upgrade to their system. No other information seems to be available other than fire department units are expected to need to verbalize their status changes until at least sometime on Wednesday when the upgrade is expected to be completed...

Anyone have any other info?

dpm797

it effect the others on the system but not as much......in Police communications they make the "status changes" manually anyway you 2B1 enroute "10-76" 2B1 on location "10-23"...the police do not have SMEs. SME is Status Message Encoder........fire units have buttons on the control head of the radio for in station enroute on location on the air and so forth......with this upgrade the master controller of the radio system with the unit Ids and the CAD interface are shut down and not talking to each other until the radio system upgrade is complete......then the master controller will go back to communicating with CAD. The master controller is still comunicating with the tower sites and and the radios. The status changes for the Fire/EMS units are being out into CAD "manually".

dpm797

also no radio alias (identifer) changes can be made.....so units going into and out of reserve (loaner apparatus) the radio alias remains what it was when the system upgrade began. so a unit might be calling itself one thing and be showing up on the radio screen as something else

SkyPager

I too, have noticed something. Especially on the Fire dispatch 154.010. The audio and tones are sounding distorted; as if there was a simulcast delay problem between the towers in the system. An earlier post, several weeks ago, mentioned a new tower at HQ on Maxwell Frye Rd. Does anyone know if 154.010 is there? Or, possibly there is yet another tower that recently went active. With out knowing the ins/outs of the system, or having an IFR, I cannot definitely say it is a simulcast problem. It does sound like one.

dpm797

Anne Arundel went from a single trasmit site for 154.010 at Millersville on the old 450 foot tower to a 154.010 transmitter on all the TRS towers in the county. The old 450 foot tower was taken down when the new Millersville tower went active.

n3bxv

AAFD are still mashing the SME buttons in addition to verbalizing their status. So if you're running trunker and collecting radio IDs, it's a good opportunity to firmly identify a few more..

troymail

Silent Key
n3bxv said:
AAFD are still mashing the SME buttons in addition to verbalizing their status. So if you're running trunker and collecting radio IDs, it's a good opportunity to firmly identify a few more..

Have you heard anything new today? I have a pretty good list.... I did hear Boat 1 (Galesville) today but I wasn't near my TRUNKER to see the id (they even hit the emergency button by accident).

n3bxv

I haven't heard any new ones, but I took a few question marks off... The reserve apparatus still messes me up a bit, like BWI running Reserve PM 32....

dpm797

some units are calling them selves one thing but are actually the reserve unit.......no radio id cahnges can be made while up-grade is going on

troymail

Silent Key
n3bxv said:
I haven't heard any new ones, but I took a few question marks off... The reserve apparatus still messes me up a bit, like BWI running Reserve PM 32....

The really hard part is when they physically remove a radio from one (old) piece of apparatus and reinstall it in another unit. I think they had alot of problems with the radio in the new E-101 and eventually they (I believe) installed an old radio from another old unit that went out of service. For a while I thought the new E-101 kept going to the shop but I think it turned out it was the scenario I mentioned above.....

Fun, fun, fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.