Anne Arundel County Radio System Upgrade

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to discuss the Anne Arundel County Radio System Upgrade over the next couple years.

48 Million Public Safety Radio System Upgrade

Annapolis, MD (January 9, 2018) – Anne Arundel County Executive Steve Schuh today announced a $48.4 million capital construction contract to replace and improve the public safety radio system in the County.

“Three years ago, Anne Arundel County began undertaking the largest public safety infrastructure upgrade in its history,” said Schuh. “This public safety radio system upgrade is crucial to those efforts. In any emergency, effective communications between first responders is critical.”

The project will replace all first responder mobile, portable and network radio equipment and comply with P25 public safety radio industry standards, providing improved interoperability between the County and its neighboring jurisdictions.

The new radio system will address many current system radio coverage issues and will provide improved radio coverage inside of structures throughout Anne Arundel County. Once the project begins, the County anticipates the system will be built in 36 months.

In addition to improvements to voice dispatch radio performance, the new system will include state-of-the-art technology to enhance the safety and efficiency of first responders in Anne Arundel County, including real-time GPS location of first responders when they are away from their vehicles.

The contract with Motorola Solutions, Inc. requires guaranteed reliable in-building portable radio coverage inside of 196 critical buildings throughout Anne Arundel County. These buildings include schools, hospitals, police stations, fire stations, and government buildings.

The capital project was made possible through the JumpStart Anne Arundel capital project financing program. Enacted in 2015, the capital plan embraces a 30-year bond financing option. This reform has allowed Anne Arundel County to expand its capital funding program and make critical public safety, school, road, and quality of life infrastructure improvements from Brooklyn Park to Pasadena to Annapolis to Odenton.

Headlines - County Executive Steve Schuh Announces $48 Million Public Safety Radio System Upgrade | Anne Arundel County, MD

Grondoline

Some PD officers are getting the newer APX hand-helds replacing the XTS 5000's. Does anyone know if the accessories are compatible? (XTVA's, RSM's, A/C chargers, antennas, carry holders, etc.)

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Some PD officers are getting the newer APX hand-helds replacing the XTS 5000's. Does anyone know if the accessories are compatible? (XTVA's, RSM's, A/C chargers, antennas, carry holders, etc.)

Nothing whatsoever is compatible 100%. Sure you could jam an APX into an XTS leather holster but that's no fun. XTS antennas though they are SMA and will screw on don't have GPS. And certain models of chargers have adapter cups, but not the latest firmware & doodads to work with Impres2.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

Two known areas for radio issues where they are adding additional sites.

I wonder if they will also add more sites toward Arnold/Cape. They also have radio issues that way too.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that these are more or less boundary sites, one in PG, one in Calvert, one barely within the county, and another near the intersection of three counties. Anyway eight more new sites are apparently planned.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Also noticed they were not licensing all existing frequencies, and the emission type 8K70D1W decodes to "P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation ASTRO (9.6 kbps in 12.5 kHz channelspace)" Also taller antenna and less power.

Deleteing:

Adding:

Net loss of 4 freqs, from 16 to 12.

Ref:
Emissions Designator 8K70D1W
8K70D1W--

Bandwidth: 8.70 kHz
Modulation Type: [D] Carrier is amplitude and angle modulated
Modulation Nature: [1] Digital, on-off or quantized, no modulation
Information Type: [W] Multiple Formats of Data Transmitted
Emissions Designator Notes: 8K70D1W P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation ASTRO (9.6 kbps in 12.5 kHz channelspace)
Radio Reference Identified Designator: 8K70D1W P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation ASTRO (9.6 kbps in 12.5 kHz channelspace)
Emissions Designator Lookup
The Emissions Designator 8K70D1W signifies a wireless radio which transfers data over a modulated wave using Digital, on-off or quantized, no modulation signal. This signal transmits at a 8.70 kHz [8K70] maximum bandwidth . bandwith does not indicate frequency of the signal. Emissions Designators describe the type of signal only.

Ref: PG emission type

Emissions Designator 8K60D7W
8K60D7W--

Bandwidth: 8.60 kHz
Modulation Nature: [7] Two or more digital channels
The Emissions Designator 8K60D7W signifies a wireless radio which transfers data over a modulated wave using Two or more digital channels signal. This signal transmits at a 8.60 kHz [8K60] maximum bandwidth . bandwith does not indicate frequency of the signal. Emissions Designators describe the type of signal only.

Ref: First
Emissions Designator 9K80D7W
9K80D7W--

Bandwidth: 9.80 kHz
Modulation Nature: [7] Two or more digital channels
Emissions Designator Notes: 9K80D7W P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation - H-DQPSK), per Motorola literature
Radio Reference Identified Designator: 9K80D7W P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation – H-DQPSK), per Motorola literature
The Emissions Designator 9K80D7W signifies a wireless radio which transfers data over a modulated wave using Two or more digital channels signal. This signal transmits at a 9.80 kHz [9K80] maximum bandwidth . bandwith does not indicate frequency of the signal. Emissions Designators describe the type of signal only.

Ref: First (2)
Emissions Designator 8K10F1E
8K10F1E--

Bandwidth: 8.10 kHz
Modulation Type: [F] Angle-modulated, straight FM
Modulation Nature: [1] Digital, on-off or quantized, no modulation
Information Type: [E] Telephony, voice, sound broadcasting
Emissions Designator Notes: 8K10F1E P25 Phase I C4FM voice (typically used for single-site systems)
Radio Reference Identified Designator: 8K10F1E P25 Phase I C4FM voice (P25 mode in RadioReference.com Database)
The Emissions Designator 8K10F1E signifies a wireless radio which transfers data over a modulated wave using Digital, on-off or quantized, no modulation signal. This signal transmits at a 8.10 kHz [8K10] maximum bandwidth . bandwith does not indicate frequency of the signal. Emissions Designators describe the type of signal only.

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
June, 2018
Federal Communications Commission
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325
REQUEST FOR EXTENDED IMPLEMENTATION
Anne Arundel County, Maryland seeks extended implementation pursuant to 90.629(a)(1) for the
attached application.
The County is in the process of upgrading and enhancing its 800 MHz trunked radio system to include
new data messaging and communications services, including wireless provisioning of subscriber radios
and Automatic Resource Location (ARL) services. To accommodate these new services, the County
proposes to expand its system capacity by adding additional frequencies and transmitter sites.
The deployment of this advanced system will be a complex, phased, multi-year effort. Capital funding
for the system has been approved by the Anne Arundel County Council and is identified in the County’s
Capital Program for fiscal years 2018-2021.
The following implementation schedule is proposed:
Year 1: Detailed system design work, channel acquisition work for the 12 new County sites
Year 2: Implementation work including site acquisition, regulatory work related to tower
construction
Year 3: Implementation work
Year 4: Functional acceptance testing, coverage acceptance testing, completion of required
station construction

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20460608&attachmentInd=applAttach

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
January 10, 2019 Update:

Since its last status update, the County has accomplished the following:
• A project team was formed consisting of County staff, the County’s consultants and staff from Motorola Solutions, Inc.
• Project planning, site acquisition and detailed design review processes were initiated.
• The new system will have a total of 22 RF sites, including 12 new RF sites in addition to the 10 RF sites that comprise the County’s current 800 MHz trunked radio system. Site acquisition (e.g., lease negotiations, purchase of new land, coordination with property owners/stakeholders, etc.) was completed for the 12 new RF site locations.
• Frequency planning was completed, and regulatory processes (e.g., FAA/FCC/NEPA/SHPO, etc.) were initiated for the 12 new sites. • Site design processes (e.g., compound design, shelter design, tower design, etc.) were initiated for the 12 new sites.
• System design processes (e.g., LMR system design, microwave backhaul system design, fiber backhaul system design) were initiated.
• Approximately 3000 new public safety subscriber radio terminals were ordered and delivered to the County, and are in the process of being deployed to the County’s first responders now. These subscriber radio terminals were purchased for use on the new system, but are compatible with the County’s current system. The new subscriber radio terminals are APCO Project 25 Phase 2 compatible, and accordingly, will enhance the ability of County first responders to provide mutual aid to their counterparts in neighboring jurisdictions. Early deployment of public safety subscriber radio terminals will also facilitate a smooth migration to the new system after acceptance testing is completed.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20526563&attachmentInd=applAttach

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Their contract is with Motorola. They'll be APX.

I believe as said above, AAPD has already fielded a fair few.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I believe as said above, AAPD has already fielded a fair few.

Correct. A decent chunk of AAPD officers have the new radios. The new radios are 45xxx RID's. I do believe some if not all officers now have 2 radios. One old and one new on them.

Also noticing more new Fire Radio id's recently so they are getting their new radios too.

Annapolis FD/PD I believe are also starting to get newer radios too. Noticing APD/AFD at times active on FiRST.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Correct. A decent chunk of AAPD officers have the new radios. The new radios are 45xxx RID's. I do believe some if not all officers now have 2 radios. One old and one new on them.

Also noticing more new Fire Radio id's recently so they are getting their new radios too.

Annapolis FD/PD I believe are also starting to get newer radios too. Noticing APD/AFD at times active on FiRST.
I forget - do you log RID vs what units they are assigned to? Can you tell if each FF / riding position is assigned their own portable? One of these days I might start to track radio assignments (but it sounds like a lot of work.)

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I forget - do you log RID vs what units they are assigned to? Can you tell if each FF / riding position is assigned their own portable? One of these days I might start to track radio assignments (but it sounds like a lot of work.)

Fire is really easy to narrow down. Police is much harder except for the specialty units since they change around.

Each fire unit has a mobile unit. There are portable radios assigned to each riding position in the (Engine, Trucks, Squad, Ambulance, etc.). Utility's and Brush have mobile radios but their portables are often used from other apparatus.

jac-3

I'm logging units as I confirm them, and trying to track reserve units too.
Some are easier than others, for instance a unit verbalizing as a truck when they're normally a tower.
Portables are supposed to stay with the unit that they're assigned to, but not always by position (officer, driver, ffs).
I'll share the results when I get more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jac-3

I'm still getting used to this site.
Is there a good place to put the matrix of unit id "mapping".
Also, is there a standard nomenclature?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk