996XT vs 996P2 Balto County

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, my 996xt has been hit and miss decoding Balto County, sometimes perfect, other times the audio is as if underwater. Scanner hasn't moved. Can anyone opine as-to whether the 996P2 is better at decoding this system? Thanx

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would think they'd be about the same as the P2 just has the additional hardware for that mode. However, your hit and miss reception is more due to simulcast issues, which are discussed in detail in the wiki. Many folks (myself included when I had my 396) found that reception was better when I had the attenuator on, since I was likely receiving from 3 sites at the same time. Another solution that has worked for some is to use a yagi (they're very small at these freqs) to point directly at one site which defacto reduces the signals from other sites outside of its' coverage area.

Mike

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Yup, I've seen that info and those tips in the wiki.
Often this happens when I'm mobile but sitting in one spot.
Obviously no yagi there.
I'll try the ATTN again but I think it killed the signal totally at times. Yeah, I don't expect to hear that the P2 decodes balto co any better but thought I'd ask.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For those that might be interested, here's an article from our wiki that describes the LSM issues (which is also an issue) as well as describing the various sites and where they're located...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Baltimore_County_(P25)_System_Information,

Bottom line, brand might work better than isn't a consumer grade scanner that can handle simulcast distortion and LSM issues reliably. Some may find one brand works better in a given area, but fails in another. Until Uniden and Whistler put their collective heads together, this issue will continue for the foreseeable future

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yup, I've seen that info and those tips in the wiki.
Often this happens when I'm mobile but sitting in one spot.
Obviously no yagi there.
I'll try the ATTN again but I think it killed the signal totally at times. Yeah, I don't expect to hear that the P2 decodes balto co any better but thought I'd ask.

Are you using an external antenna in your car? I've never actually lost the signal; gets choppy, sure, but not actually lost.

Mike

boatbod

For those that might be interested, here's an article from our wiki that describes the LSM issues (which is also an issue) as well as describing the various sites and where they're located...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Baltimore_County_(P25)_System_Information,

Bottom line, brand might work better than isn't a consumer grade scanner that can handle simulcast distortion and LSM issues reliably. Some may find one brand works better in a given area, but fails in another. Until Uniden and Whistler put their collective heads together, this issue will continue for the foreseeable future

Bottom line:- the scanner manufacturers could implement a cqpsk demodulator and the mutipath distortion problem would be solved. Unfortunately that takes both development effort and CPU horsepower, both of which cost money and make your $500 digital scanner closer to $750 or more.

There is free software out there that will do the job exceptionally well for just the cost of an RTL dongle. The downside is that it's not readily mobile nor as easy to set up and use as a consumer scanner.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I can't imagine the hardware costing that much. There might be a licensing fee for the demodulator? And cost associated with the engineering and software development - but they would have that with any new scanner. I know the Upman watches the Unication thread because he posts there from time to time. They've lost sales due to having poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.