The I68 Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
The drive out and back on I68 last weekend and I didn't hear a peep save for one short call from NRP from Martin's Mountain.

Are Barracks C & W still using VHF Low?

Any tips for programming a scanner for this trip?

Once I hit Preston County WV, the scanner came back to life.

wmbio

I-68 travel

MSP 39.24 C Allegany county is active ( intermittent voice traffic )
MSP 39.08 W Garrett co is the same " " " " " Both using MDT's for dispatch neither on FIRST yet

Most Garrett traffic is on the SO 159.43500 and fire freq 158.77500

all allegany co traffic is on an old poor passport system ...https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7089

enter about 3 freqs 453.775 460.575 453.1875 to cover Allegany co, you will have the 3 second passport data transmission on all 3 freqs at all times

Enjoy
Wmbio

troymail

Silent Key
The drive out and back on I68 last weekend and I didn't hear a peep save for one short call from NRP from Martin's Mountain.

Are Barracks C & W still using VHF Low?

Any tips for programming a scanner for this trip?

Once I hit Preston County WV, the scanner came back to life.

What scanner/equipment and programming did you use? (note: there is a follow-up question and/or comments depending upon the response!)

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
Ah - ok... not my planned follow-up then... what did you have programmed to monitor along the route?

MSP McHenry 39.08
MSP Cumbrlnd 39.24
NRP SidelingHill 155.3250
NRP Martin's Mtn 151.4675
NRP Dan's Rock 151.2575
C&O Cacapon 166.35
AC Fire/EMS 33.78
F/E Alerting 453.1
GC 2 Law N 159.43500
GC 10 FD Thy 158.77500

Seemed like it would cover everything.

troymail

Silent Key
MSP McHenry 39.08
MSP Cumbrlnd 39.24
NRP SidelingHill 155.3250
NRP Martin's Mtn 151.4675
NRP Dan's Rock 151.2575
C&O Cacapon 166.35
AC Fire/EMS 33.78
F/E Alerting 453.1
GC 2 Law N 159.43500
GC 10 FD Thy 158.77500

Seemed like it would cover everything.

ok -- lots of other "stuff" along the way according to the RRDB.... Of course, the world does move a bit slower in the mountains so I guess I wouldn't expect there to be a whole lot of actions or to hear a whole lot as compared to even Frederick.... maybe in Cumberland...

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1189

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1199

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
Other than lots of traffic enforcement for the holiday weekend drivers, saw a couple of folks getting a ticket! But I guess if MSP is using the MDT to "call in" traffic stops, that would knock out most of the expected radio traffic.

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
166.35 is not a valid C&O freq. anymore. U would need either 172.425 for the western area or 172.8125 the rptr on Cacapon Mtn. Both moderately encrypted.

C&O Lambs Knoll has encryption about half the time I heard it. One wonders what government secrets must be kept on the canal!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Other than lots of traffic enforcement for the holiday weekend drivers, saw a couple of folks getting a ticket! But I guess if MSP is using the MDT to "call in" traffic stops, that would knock out most of the expected radio traffic.

MDTs work well along highways, but not *always* that great along rural roads depends on the cell data carrier (I know Verizon tends to suck in WMd / WV.) The MSP CAD system allows them do all sorts of things via MDT - including self-dispatch. The more metropolitan troops / barracks use their radios quite a bit though.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
C&O Lambs Knoll has encryption about half the time I heard it. One wonders what government secrets must be kept on the canal!
Probably avoiding hunters (or hunters listening in to avoid poaching enforcement...)

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
MDTs work well along highways, but not *always* that great along rural roads depends on the cell data carrier (I know Verizon tends to suck in WMd / WV.) The MSP CAD system allows them do all sorts of things via MDT - including self-dispatch. The more metropolitan troops / barracks use their radios quite a bit though.

MDT's and anything cellular don't work for crap around Oldtown and Spring Gap on MD-51. As to C&O Lambs Knoll, that's the reason they give is poachers, but it's pointless cause they all know who's where anyway thanks to the Good 'Ol Boy network.

Plus across the river in West Virginia they're pretty much free and clear anyway. Nobody in a uniform goes back in the Low Line hollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.