AA County box numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarnacleBill

We live in a condo community in Pasadena. My wife is the secretary of the Board of Directors
for said community. We just stopped by Station 30 (Armiger) so she could ask a few questions
from fire department personnel about chimney cleaning and fireplace servicing.
While there one of the fire department personnel showed my grandson (age 10) two of the
fire trucks at the station. He also took us into an office with a large map of Station 30's
area of responsibility. It had all of the box numbers listed and also small red dots where
all of the fire hydrants are located. Very impressive and a lot of work. He went on to say
that a few months ago (he thought February) all of the box numbers were redrawn. Most
things after that date are different than before that date. Apparently all box areas in AA
county were redrawn.
He also said that dispatches are now done by GPS rather than stations in a given area.
What that means is if a unit from out of the station area is closer (driving by) then that unit
is dispatched rather than the station from that area. I'm not sure if that statement is clear
but let me give an hypothetical example. Let's say Station 10's ambulance is heading back
to quarters after dropping off someone at the hospital. As Station 10's ambulance is
driving near Station 30 a call comes in to HQ for an ambulance on Solley Road. Since
the Station 10 ambulance is on the road and closer it will get dispatched instead of
Station 30's ambulance.
I hope that clears up the dispatch scenario. I'm sure there are exceptions but that was
what was told to us.

troymail

Silent Key
Sounds right - with the new CAD and vehicle locators, the long standing concept of "box areas" was deemed more or less only "administrative" at this point.

Box areas were always "rough estimations" - I recall some cases where in order for a unit to get to a call in one of their own first due box areas, they had to drive through the box area of another station - rare, but it did happen.

marksmith

Prior to this GPS dispatch, the call would go out to stations based on geography, but closer units would verbally jump in to respond and be put on the incident.

Theoretically the GPS method builds this into the process.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

boatbod

Prior to this GPS dispatch, the call would go out to stations based on geography, but closer units would verbally jump in to respond and be put on the incident.

Theoretically the GPS method builds this into the process.

Mark

Its all fine and dandy as long as the dispatched unit knows the area they will be responding to. GPS mapping is all well and good, but there is something to be said for knowing the subtle details and nuances of your first due area.

marksmith

Its all fine and dandy as long as the dispatched unit knows the area they will be responding to. GPS mapping is all well and good, but there is something to be said for knowing the subtle details and nuances of your first due area.
That is a very good point. But speed is generally never a bad thing, especially with EMS calls. Many first due responders do have some familiarity with adjacent territories as well.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.