Should I Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have been very happy with my BCD436HP. In home County(AA), at the beach, near Harrisonburg, VA, etc. I don't feel I missed a thing. Actually receiving non-stop transmissions from so many agencies I had to delete some. However, Allegany County is another issue. Reading the threads here I understand they just switched from the old frequencies up there (39.24, 33.78, 460.175 etc.)
This past weekend, I only heard a few Allegany County medic transmissions when programming by zip code (21502). MSP Hagerstown loud and clear but very weak to non-existent MSP Cumberland transmissions, nothing from Cumberland City PD, Allegany County Sheriff or Allegany County/Cumberland City Fire. Neighboring West Virginia counties and Pa. counties(which usually I'm not interested in unless its something near the Maryland state line) , loud and clear.
I'm hesitant to do updates because everywhere else, I love this scanner. Should I update or change settings when I head to Allegany County again? Unless necessary I don't want to because I'm truly "Digital Clueless".
Thanks for any suggestions.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
You should at least update your programming for Allegany County and the Cumberland Barracks. Both have recently begun a migration to the Maryland First system. Your scanner is capable of receiving the First system, but it is not optimized for the P25 Phase 2 simulcast technology used by the system. The other issue that new systems like First are designed to be received within the borders of the jurisdiction it covers, so reception in Harrisonburg might be difficult. I should also note that Anne Arundel County will eventually be switching to similar technology, but you have a few years before you need to worry about it. Bottom line, update your programming, and see how it works for you.

Last edited:
Update

Thanks, Ill do the update and hope I don't lose anything. In reference to Harrisonburg, I was staying on Massanutten Mountain during ski season. Scanner was very busy with non-stop VSP/County Sheriff/Fire transmissions at midnight. VSP units heard from the Maryland State line to Virginia Beach to Winchester working I95/I81/I66/I495 etc. I think there's a VSP tower there too so I guess that along with the elevation helped. Thanks again for the advice about Allegany and AA Counties. Appreciate all advice.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
While there may be activity on talkgroups, keep in mind that no one has completely cut over yet to the First system in Western MD. Also there has bee no coverage testing done in Garrett County as of this date, only in Allegany.

Status
Not open for further replies.