DNR unit numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I’m still fourtionate enough to be able to listen to the DNR (Area 4) and (Area 3) from my area in St. Marys County. I’m sure it will all come to an end soon but while listening I noticed that these 9xx units are making up and they are doing a lot of traffic stops. Is this a new numbering system they came out with ? Keep in mind I still hear the 3xx and 4xx units. I’ll sometimes even hear “Car X” to DNR.

Any help ?

Thank you

emtLarmy15

I’d bet the 9xx are some kind of special like the swat team etc. the car x are usually admin types.

Just for a little back ground the first number is usually the area and the second the district within the area. The low third number is usually indicative that it’s a Cpl.

Example:
104 is area 1 district 4 Sgt
130 is area 1 district 3 Cpl
155 is area 1 district 5 officer

There are some specials for example 119 (there is not an area 1 district 1) is a contractual area 1 officer who works wherever they need him in area 1 (though generally works in district 2)

Not sure what happens If they have more than 10 in a district (not sure they have that anywhere statewide)

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much for the reply, yeah it was kind of odd to just all of the sudden hear or perhaps they’ve always been around and I haven’t noticed. Typically I’ve only heard “4 units” or “3 units”. A 9xx unit marked up this morning making a traffic stop and another one making a trailer repair order. Oh well, I better enjoy the listening while I can I suppose !

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I was under the impression they would be encrypted on the First System or do I have that wrong ? What kind of scanner would you suggest buying if I wanted to keep hearing them ? From what I’m told (I don’t know how true it is) is that that the state has begun testing with the first system here in St. Marys County.

emtLarmy15

They were encrypted when they first came on but went clear on their main area talkgroups earlier this year or late last year.

There are a lot of options now but you may run into simulcast distortion with something like the 436/536 from uniden. Uniden has a newer sds100 that seems to handle the distortion better and there’s always the unication g4 or g5 which is phenomenal if you only want to monitor one system at a time.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There are also several Whistler scanners that work well on Phase II systems.

But not specifically designed to receive simulcast P25 P1/P2 systems. Whistler has not yet been released their scanner optimized for simulcast reception. My Whistler 1080 / GRE PSR800 does not handle P25 simulcast systems very well, even though it can technically receive them. If it were me, I would buy a scanner / Unication radio that is designed to receive the P25P2 waveform when deployed in a simulcast system - First is a P2 simulcast system, as is the St Mary's County system (although seems to operate in FDMA mode.)

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I love my G4 but personally if I wouldn't get it to listen to FiRST. The talkgroup limitation on G4/5 is a pain especially for large talkgroup systems.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
NRP recently had a graduation, I wonder if the 9xx could be trainees? I have also heard them on Area 2.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was under the impression they would be encrypted on the First System or do I have that wrong ? What kind of scanner would you suggest buying if I wanted to keep hearing them ? From what I’m told (I don’t know how true it is) is that that the state has begun testing with the first system here in St. Marys County.

I was able to verify the First system testing in St. Mary's County Sunday afternoon. Not carrying any traffic at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.