Which base/ mobile scanner is best....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannaMan9

I live in MA, (Undisclosed City, DO NOT ASK) and need a cheap, digital scanner to scan:
Middlesex, Worcester, Essex (Little), Norfolk (Little), and Suffolk counties in MASS, and:
Hillsborough, Rockingham, Chesire (Little), and Merrimack counties in NH

- With about 500 channels left over. (After programming)
- And a store to program it. I realize that stores usually do terrible jobs, I could also get a CD
- I have a budget of about $150.00

I was considering the 15X, PSR-410, or PRO-163 but I really want a HP-1.....

lindsay34654

I live in MA, (Undisclosed City, DO NOT ASK) and need a cheap, digital scanner to scan:
Middlesex, Worcester, Essex (Little), Norfolk (Little), and Suffolk counties in MASS, and:

- And a store to program it. I realize that stores usually do terrible jobs, I could also get a CD

You are not going to find anything at that price unless it is not working. 2 then you have to think of an antenna. Then what about money for programing. A CD is going to cost you a good penny then you have to get the program cable that is about 30 dollars for just that. why digital> most if none of those counties are digital.

ScannaMan9

You are not going to find anything at that price unless it is not working. 2 then you have to think of an antenna. Then what about money for programing. A CD is going to cost you a good penny then you have to get the program cable that is about 30 dollars for just that. why digital> most if none of those counties are digital.

I'd could just get everything at different times, as soon as I get the money for 1 particular item, i'll buy it.

One other thing are you expecting to monitor all those counties at the same time? I just moved from there trust me ain't going to happen.
I'm using the scanner in my car, and DON'T plan to monitor them ALL at the SAME TIME.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber

You said you need a digital scanner. The PRO-163 is analog only, it cannot receive digital transmissions. P25 digital scanners and "cheap" certainly don't belong in the same sentence.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Sorry ScannaMan9....

You've got to lower your expectations, or increase your budget because what you want can't be had at the price point you've selected.

I'm looking for a 23 year old college cheerleader, nymphomaniac, who owns a package store....what do you think my chances are??

But seriously, if you can monitor those areas with an analog scanner, why spend the extra bucks for digital? Suggest you check out the classifieds on here or head over to eBay and maybe you'll find something that fits your pocketbook. Good luck!

Russell

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Ordering a Pro-163 should certainly solve the scanner need for the majority of the Public Service in the areas you listed in the OP. However, the MA State Police are moving their operations to P25, so that will be un-monitorable in the foreseeable future. In addition some of the NH areas you listed appear to use P25 conventional on the some of the dispatch channels, so those also will be out of your listening ability.

As for closing / deleting threads, that is not done without a valid reason.

ScannaMan9

As for closing / deleting threads, that is not done without a valid reason.

Reason: The creator of this thread would like it closed, because he has solved the problem the thread was designed for.

If that isn't a reason, don't worry about it.

As for the P25, I'm looking at compatible scanners, and will probably upgrade/ buy another.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Reason: The creator of this thread would like it closed, because he has solved the problem the thread was designed for.

If that isn't a reason, don't worry about it.
It is not.

As for the P25, I'm looking at compatible scanners, and will probably upgrade/ buy another.
The thing about P25 scanners is that the biggest chunk of cost is for the licensing fee that has to be paid to DVSI for the ability to decode P25. There have always been rumors as to how much this fee is, but in fact it is an individual contract with each manufacturer, so it would be difficult to nail down. However, if you compare two scanners that are basically the same except for one being P25 capable and the other being an analog scanner (say the GRE PSR-600 and PSR-410) you see about a $200 difference in the price (based on current ScannerMaster prices). You can bet that the majority of the $200 is a licensing fee as there is probably only an extra $30 in parts in the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.