Mass State Police 854.4875 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmscanfan

Premium Subscriber
Question for you Mass scanner folks.

I have a bcd996xt and am using proscan and radio reference subscription to load my scanner - and it is mostly working (plenty to listen to), I think, but I have a question about 854.4875 in particular.

I loaded into my system as part of Hampshire County - S. Hadley PD, and with further research I see it is actually assigned to the Mass State Police now instead. It is one of my strongest and most traffic'ed frequncies - I hear lots and lots of MSP traffic on it (4000+ hits in a week or so)

It seems like that particular frequency is one of the SP frequencies on the Monson tower, with a control channel of 860.3625c

I thought when I loaded the SP frequencies, I was supposed to selected 'load control frequencies only', which I did, but why am I hearing lots (and lots and lots) of traffic on 854.4875 in my Hampshire country system (I haven't relabeled it yet), but none of that same traffic when I listen to the Monson tower on 860.36250c? Shouldn't I, they are both scanned in the same cycle? I thought I understood that if I programmed in the control channel, the other frequencies on the same channel would be heard as well? Or do I fundamentally not understand what I am talking about?

I am concerned that I am not doing it right, and only am hearing this very active channel because it was pulled in to S.Hadley group by mistake, makes me wonder how much other traffic I am missing completely when I thought my trunking was setup correctly.

Hope this question is clear enough, but could use some guidance. Trunked scanning is new for me.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
What type of scanner are you using? Some scanners will work with Control Channel only scanning, but some won't.

As an experiment you could try putting that frequency into the scanner under that site.

wmscanfan

Premium Subscriber
Its a Uniden/Bearcat bcd996xt, I think it is supposed to work with just the control channel....

garys

Premium Subscriber
Its a Uniden/Bearcat bcd996xt, I think it is supposed to work with just the control channel....

Yes, it should. I wonder if they are using it at another site as well as Monson? They are doing a lot of radio work these days, so it's possible.

The frequency is also licensed to Cambridge, but it's very unlikely that you'd hear it that far out.

On a couple of occasions I've forgot to check the CC Only box in ARC XT. I don't know what software you're using, but it's worth taking a look at the settings to be sure you have it set correctly.

ecps92

South Hadley WPEU934 expired back in 1999
Are they actually still using 854.4875 ?

Question for you Mass scanner folks.

I have a bcd996xt and am using proscan and radio reference subscription to load my scanner - and it is mostly working (plenty to listen to), I think, but I have a question about 854.4875 in particular.

I loaded into my system as part of Hampshire County - S. Hadley PD, and with further research I see it is actually assigned to the Mass State Police now instead. It is one of my strongest and most traffic'ed frequncies - I hear lots and lots of MSP traffic on it (4000+ hits in a week or so)

It seems like that particular frequency is one of the SP frequencies on the Monson tower, with a control channel of 860.3625c

I thought when I loaded the SP frequencies, I was supposed to selected 'load control frequencies only', which I did, but why am I hearing lots (and lots and lots) of traffic on 854.4875 in my Hampshire country system (I haven't relabeled it yet), but none of that same traffic when I listen to the Monson tower on 860.36250c? Shouldn't I, they are both scanned in the same cycle? I thought I understood that if I programmed in the control channel, the other frequencies on the same channel would be heard as well? Or do I fundamentally not understand what I am talking about?

I am concerned that I am not doing it right, and only am hearing this very active channel because it was pulled in to S.Hadley group by mistake, makes me wonder how much other traffic I am missing completely when I thought my trunking was setup correctly.

Hope this question is clear enough, but could use some guidance. Trunked scanning is new for me.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I just turned on Site 14 and the first trunked conversation was on 854.4875. The 996XT only uses "CC only trunking", you can enter them all in but it would only matter if they change CC.
I would look at locked out or turned off TGIDs.

chris

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
South Hadley WPEU934 expired back in 1999
Are they actually still using 854.4875 ?

They use 852.8625 full time. D465

When they were booted from 854.4875 by Nextel, (license expired, Nextel scooped it up), they shifted to a couple of different 800 frequencies, before ending up on 852.8625

ecps92

that's what I thought, but wanted to validate it, since the OP's original comments seemed to indicate 4875 was the PD...

Thanks Mike....PS did you get those KML/KMZ files for the towns ?:confused:

They use 852.8625 full time. D465

When they were booted from 854.4875 by Nextel, (license expired, Nextel scooped it up), they shifted to a couple of different 800 frequencies, before ending up on 852.8625

wmscanfan

Premium Subscriber
If my original message was unclear, my apologies. I didn't mean to imply that I was actually hearing the South Hadley PD on that frequency, only that that is the way it came down from the RR database and how it was being logged/recorded.

I did manage to fix the problem on my end by just deleting that entry, and now all the traffic is being correctly logged against the MSP trunked system. Can't explain why at least some of it it wasn't showing up there before, but whatever I did, fixed the problem for me. Probably I just didn't understand the way RR and Procscan interacted with my 996XT.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.