Ma state police

Status
Not open for further replies.

grovesttowing

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. I am a newbie and I am trying to figure out what scanner I need to listen to the Massachusetts State police Foxborough barracks. I currently have a Uniden bearcat BC 355N and I don't think that will do it. Thank you for your help!

captclint

Mentor
Hello all. I am a newbie and I am trying to figure out what scanner I need to listen to the Massachusetts State police Foxborough barracks. I currently have a Uniden bearcat BC 355N and I don't think that will do it. Thank you for your help!
No, it won't. Per Commonwealth Of Massachusetts (Project 25) System Massachusetts State Police operate two radio systems, an analog trunked system, heard east of the Connecticut River, and Mount Greylock, and a newly implemented digital system, which covers "Western Massachusetts" (Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, and Hampshire counties). So you can monitor Massachusetts State Police with an Analog unit such as the BC346XT - The RadioReference Wiki or BCT15X Since you are in the east, you might not need a digital. If you want both, you will need a digital scanner ($400-500) such as BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki, BCD996XTi, or the Plug and play Home Patrol If you decide on digital, there are new Uniden models that you should consider. I've asked that this be moved to the MA Forum because they would know if your area will go digital,

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sorry but as per policy, we don't move threads out of the new user forum.

"Please do not move threads out of the New User forum. We want to make the member's first experience nice and easy. In certain cases where you think the thread could be moved just kindly tell the member that we have a forum for this and that you recommend creating a thread there in the future. Allow regular members to do this also."

Grovesttowing, if you would like the thread moved please use the Report Post triangle in the upper right of your first post and ask that it be moved to the Massachusetts forum.

In the future, if your question is area specific, please consider posting it in the Regional forum for the area.

Thanks.

ecps92

You will need a radio capable of Analog Trunking. Eastern Mass is Analog at this time, and likely will need major $$ to expand this area to P25

grovesttowing

Premium Subscriber
frequency

Thanks guys. I tried looking for the frequency for the foxboro barracks and couldn't find it. I also tried moving this to the Mass forumn but couldn't figure it out! Thanks for any help.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Moved to Massachusetts forum.

You can't move the thread yourself. You need to click on the red and white triangle in the upper right of your post to report it and then a moderator will move it for you.

Doubleyolk

Is there a need of a digital scanner in SE Ma? I'm in need of a new scanner and I'm looking at the BCT15X and the BCD996. I only use it for local police,fire and EMS. Will a GPS receiver take out the programming headaches and pick up surrounding towns that the antenna can pick up? I know squat about 99% of the features they have, but now that I'm retired it might be time to learn. Right now I have a sick antique BC60XlLT.

kennyblues

If all you want to monitor is the local PD, FD, etc., then at this time a digital scanner is not necessary. If you want to expand your horizons and listen to New Bedford, then a Digital scanner is necessary, Plymouth County Sheriff may start to use some digital in the future. The MA State Police is probably a few years away from going digital in SE MA. Most Federal communications are also digital.
The only time a GPS receiver will take the headaches out of programming is with a Uniden Home Patrol, and perhaps the new Uniden scanners coming out shortly. The Home Patrol is perhaps the easiest to program to get the radio up and running, just enter in the zip code. Other models can be very daunting to program at first. A GPS receiver will not enhance reception over the antenna.
Check out; Scan New England - SNE News Articles for more localized information.
There is a whole lot to learn nowadays in monitoring modern day scanners and radio systems.

Doubleyolk

Thanks Kenny. It seems like scanner technology is going the way of computer technology, changing yearly. I know the GPS won't override the antenna, but will it get all the local PD's, FD's etc without entering frequencies? I guess I should go the way of digital so I won't need to spend the money again in a couple years, again thanks for the reply.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
My $.02? Go with the Uniden BCT15X. It will provide you with all you need at this time. It will allow you to monitor all your local departments, the Ma State Police, and more. Do you NEED a digital scanner at this point? Probably not. Do you WANT a digital scanner? Your call there, but with the BCT15X and Freescan programming software, which is FREE, you can be up and running with little issue. The BCT15X is a great analog scanner, I own one.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Knowing where you are, the only real digital frequencies near you would be New Bedford Police. You probably can receive them from there but are they an agency you have a serious interest in monitoring now? Like I said, it's just my opinion but the BCT15X will fit the bill. One more thing. You may need an additional cable in addition to the programming cable that comes with that scanner. If you do end up programming using software (highly recommended) and you don't have a serial port on your PC then you will need a serial to USB cable.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
If you want, you can download and install Freescan software to your computer to get a head start on programming. Go to https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware/ to download the software. Once you get that done you can watch these videos I created to understand how to use the software to program conventional as well as trunking systems, which you will need to do for programming the Ma State Police. Click the link and at the bottom look for the Freescan video 1 and 2, highlighted in blue, to see how it works.

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

ecps92

Some BAPERN are already P25 and shortly some Plym Cnty Interop will be P25

A good portion is still Analog tho

Knowing where you are, the only real digital frequencies near you would be New Bedford Police. You probably can receive them from there but are they an agency you have a serious interest in monitoring now? Like I said, it's just my opinion but the BCT15X will fit the bill. One more thing. You may need an additional cable in addition to the programming cable that comes with that scanner. If you do end up programming using software (highly recommended) and you don't have a serial port on your PC then you will need a serial to USB cable.

cookandcamera

Different question on a similar subject,

I live in Southern CT but travel the I395/495 corridor every other month or so. Right now I have Troops A and C programmed on my 396XT with both the SmartZone MSP system and the P25 system, but have not been to Mass since I programmed them.

Do I need both systems for Worcester/Middlesex/Essex Counties? Is there much traffic on the P25 system in central and northeast where it is stated above that the P25 is primarily for West of the CT River? What is the best way to listen to MSP in this region?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Program in Zone 8 (Central MA) and Zone 5 (Eastern MA) and you'll hear everything that you want to hear. There is no P25 traffic to be heard in the northeast part of the state, the system has not been built further east than the greater Springfield area. If you are coming up I-395 as opposed to I-84, you are fine with just the two zones I mentioned. If you don't have it programmed in already, I like listening to the Worcester trunk when I'm in that area.

Different question on a similar subject,

I live in Southern CT but travel the I395/495 corridor every other month or so. Right now I have Troops A and C programmed on my 396XT with both the SmartZone MSP system and the P25 system, but have not been to Mass since I programmed them.

Do I need both systems for Worcester/Middlesex/Essex Counties? Is there much traffic on the P25 system in central and northeast where it is stated above that the P25 is primarily for West of the CT River? What is the best way to listen to MSP in this region?

Status
Not open for further replies.