Mass Pike Police frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill2k

While listening to the Mass State Police system, I never seem to hear anything involving the Mass Pike. Do the state police on the mass pike use a different system?

TIA,
Bill

Scanner-geek

The Mass State PD Troop E (Mass Pike) operates on the 800 trunk system, as well as some of the older VHF-hi frequencies. This depends on which section of the pike you're trying to monitor. I believe that the VHF system is used more in the central and western parts of the pike, but I'm not sure of this. I think there has been a gradual switch over to 800. I can confirm that the eastern Pike troopers (at least East of the I95 tolls) are dispatched on the 800 system on tne E-PTL-1 talk group. You will hear activity on E-PTL-4, which are the troopers covering the major tunnels and the Mass-pike-93-big dig ops and details. I have yet to hear any activity on E-PTL-2 or E-PTL-3 even as far west as Amherst. As far as I know, you need to monitor both systems to cover the entire Pike. Operations in the Boston area are primarily on the 800mhz trunk system. You will hear ops on the VHF system, but dispatches are usually the roadside assistance "h.e.l.p." trucks and not cruisers, so don't confuse them when you hear dispatches to accidents and DMVs. Near Boston, the H.E.L.P trucks are dispatched on the VHF system, troopers on the 800. I believe in some areas further west they are both disptached on the VHF system, but I can't confirm this. Check out these links:

http://home.comcast.net/~garys2/scanguide/msp.htm
http://users.adelphia.net/~kc1ho/ematrunk/

I hope this helps and happy scanning.

Scanner-geek

garys

Premium Subscriber
E-PTL-4 is used east of the Newton (I-95) tolls, including the tunnels and I-93 in Boston. Troop E patrols not only the Turnpike, but I-93 within the area of the Big Dig. Which makes things a bit confusing at times as Troop H patrols the parts of I-93 outside of the Big Dig areas.

E-PTL-1 is used west of I-95, at least as far as the Sturbridge area. There is still activity on the high band system and the two are not patched together.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.