Lokking to Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

djs9164

Thanks to a win-fall from Uncle Sam. (I know its my own money.) I have the chance to retire my Pro 97 with something new. I loved that thing to death and it shows it. I live in the Boston area and mainly monitor local police/fire/ems etc. in Suffolk/Norfolk and Plymouth counties as well as State Police Statewide. My question is do I need digital and if so P25 or P25 2. I have looked at analog trunking scanners and there are only a few left. Digital to me are quite pricey but if will be the norm in the near future I'm all in.
Thanks
DJS

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to a win-fall from Uncle Sam. (I know its my own money.) I have the chance to retire my Pro 97 with something new. I loved that thing to death and it shows it. I live in the Boston area and mainly monitor local police/fire/ems etc. in Suffolk/Norfolk and Plymouth counties as well as State Police Statewide. My question is do I need digital and if so P25 or P25 2. I have looked at analog trunking scanners and there are only a few left. Digital to me are quite pricey but if will be the norm in the near future I'm all in.

Thanks

DJS

What county are you trying to monitor? P25 Phase 1 is becoming very common, and is almost a standard in most areas. There will still be some conventional analog channels you will hear but you will miss grunt of the action.

P25 Phase 2 is starting to become more and more of a thing. If you could afford a scanner with P25 Phase 2 capabilities I would go that route. When purchasing a scanner with these capabilities you are also opening the options of listening to NXDN, DMR, etc.

I prefer Uniden scanners over all, but that's probably because I have the most experience with them.

Hope I helped shed some light on your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OceanNora

With the exception of Massport, Cambridge, and Boston city services (which are also on the analog 800 system), most of Metro Boston is still analog. Digital seems to be more common with campus departments than city/town agencies, with only 7 municipal police agencies coming to mind (Lexington, Waltham, Sudbury, Burlington, Bedford, Malden, and Reading) that use P25 conventional in the metro area. The only agency that immediately comes to mind that uses P25 in Plymouth County is the Sheriff BCI.

djs9164

Home Patrol?

Looking at the Home Patrol. HP1 is affordable the the HP2 is pushing it a bit but also doable. Any thoughts on these units? Or maybe one of the other RR enabled scanners. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.