MA State Police North Patrol A

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA1RNE

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what systems is currently being used to monitor MA State Police Essex County Patrol A Andover area?

gordon115

You want to load the frequencies for Zone 5 Metro Boston simulcast system. The north shore sites include Andover, Georgetown, Chelmsford and Essex. It's a simulcast system so they all use the same set of frequencies.

Gordon

WA1RNE

Premium Subscriber
Gordon,

I have the control and alternate channels for Zone 5 Metro Boston simulcast system loaded as well as others. I can hear the Haverhill tower and some activity in metro Boston - but don't hear the Andover, Georgetown, Chelmsford and Essex activity - which is what you hear on Broadcastify.

I'm using Freescan and have a feeling I have the wrong site type programmed. Radio Reference indicates it's a Motorola Type II SmartZone system, but other sites on the web indicate P25 is being used in some areas. I'm not finding the system selection set-up to be very intuitive.

gordon115

Gordon,

I have the control and alternate channels for Zone 5 Metro Boston simulcast system loaded as well as others. I can hear the Haverhill tower and some activity in metro Boston - but don't hear the Andover, Georgetown, Chelmsford and Essex activity - which is what you hear on Broadcastify.

I'm using Freescan and have a feeling I have the wrong site type programmed. Radio Reference indicates it's a Motorola Type II SmartZone system, but other sites on the web indicate P25 is being used in some areas. I'm not finding the system selection set-up to be very intuitive.

The Haverhill site is an in-fill site to provide coverage for dead zones in the immediate Haverhill area so it may not be simulcasting the Boston area traffic (H Troop and E Troop) or traffic outside of the immediate Haverhill area. .

The system you want to be monitoring is the Zone 5 simulcast system which normally uses 854.5625 for its control channel. Essex County traffic is mostly on "A Patrol-1" talkgroup 33168 where you will hear Station A which is Troop HQ in Danvers, Station A-1 Andover A-2 West Newbury and A-6 Danvers. Activity in Lynn, Swampscott and Nahant will be on "A Patrol-2" talkgroup 33200 with Station A-5 Revere.

There is very little P25 activity on this system it is 99.9% analog.

I don't use Free Scan so I'm not familiar with the programming idiosyncrasies of that software.

Hope this helps,

Gordon

WA1RNE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gordon, I worked on it a little more this morning, tried programming specific talkgroups and prioritizing them and am now hearing 33168 and others. Curious what software you're using? Freescan is OK but lacks a thorough manual - but hey, it's free....

garys

Premium Subscriber
What scanner are you using?

Ignore anything about P25, as gordon says there is next to no P25 in the Boston area for the MSP.

A Patrol 1 is the dispatch Talk Group.
A Patrol 3 is the talk around Talk Group
You might also find Gang A interesting.

gordon115

Thanks Gordon, I worked on it a little more this morning, tried programming specific talkgroups and prioritizing them and am now hearing 33168 and others. Curious what software you're using? Freescan is OK but lacks a thorough manual - but hey, it's free....

In the past when I buy a radio I buy the Butel software for the radio.I like the Butel software and I'm used to using it; not sure its any better than the others out there. With the new Whistler units it looks like buying third party software many not be needed anymore.

Gordon

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm a fan of Butel as well. When I had XT scanners, I used ARCXT. Like you, I'm very used to the interface.

As to the Whistler's I think it might be more like buying third party software isn't possible. Some of the owners of the TRX and other Whistler scanners aren't very happy about that.

In the past when I buy a radio I buy the Butel software for the radio.I like the Butel software and I'm used to using it; not sure its any better than the others out there. With the new Whistler units it looks like buying third party software many not be needed anymore.

Gordon

garys

Premium Subscriber
Depending on what else interests you, you might want to put in the Special Operations TGs and the Statewide Talk Group. The last one is used by the Air Wing statewide (duh) and you can pick up some interesting stuff.

I have a BCD996P2.

I added both of those TG's this morning, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.