Lawrence PD Ch 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
LPD Ch 16

The LPD Ch 16 is encrypted and used by the local SNEU (Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit). I have asked various individuals in the LPD and get vague to no answers at all. I suggest that you do some digging in the FCC database and you might be amazed at what you find. I do hear encrypted traffic from time to time on several VHF High frequencies that were used by the Auxiliary Police at one time or another. There are several UHF frequencies that might bear watching but again they are encrypted also. As an aside to this train of thought, the city has allocated about a million dollars to convert the LPD radio system to P25. Not sure of the exact time frame. Another tip for people local to Lawrence is that the MSP has a great deal of activity going on here on their 800 trunked system, all of it in the clear.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Channel 16 has always been for Detectives and Drug Unit (SNEU). It was the old Nemlec 5 with a DCS tone (which could be still used at times). The old radio guy was a die-hard Motorola fan. The new guy is changing over to Harris conventional P25. The auxiliary unit is almost gone except for major events and he got them Japanese dual banders. Their old system VHF got some upgrades and they use it as Ch 16 and Ch 15 (seldom used). The bosses got APX dual banders which were for interoperability between UHF and VHF for the auxiliaries when they were working, and the fire dept. It never materialized so they all got passed to SNEU. They got approved for 1 million to go to P25. Almost all cops with the Harris portables hate them but they are going in that direction,

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
In regards to the LPD system upgrading to P-25, I have heard that the LPD 'patrol officers' may get a second frequency that will be encrypted. This would be used for non SNEU situations; such as, homicides, hostage situations. This would probably similar to the system that the Methuen PD uses in their day to day activities.

As a side note, I have seen some Lawrence Public Safety personnel using the CCRs.

Whether it a citywide policy or not, I have no idea. One LFD Lt. said that he spent his own money, about $125, for his own CCR in place of the LFD issued radio. Not sure if he uses the LFD issued radio at the fire scene or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.