MBTA ProVoice new talk group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
06-021 is assigned to the Transit Police. It's not generally used and I've never heard it in analog, but it's there. To the best of my knowledge, they have no units with issued EDACS radios. Maybe some of the upper level supervisors in Transit Operations have it as a scan option, but I don't know.

I heard it on dead key for a few mins after I heard people talking on it.. it just stayed.. it was weird.. maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited:

OceanNora

I've heard it once or twice on analog about 4 or 5 months back, every so often I hear it in digital. The audio quality on digital is generally pretty rough.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's variable, I think. I generally hear it pretty well on my 436HP at home, but tonight, I'm getting nothing. Your location also affects how well it's received. I could try it on my SDR/DSD+ set up, but I'm not that interested in setting the system up in the DSD+ frequencies file.

The system is supposed to be Pro Voice only, but that's a setting and not hard coded. I think Hartford, CT, while mostly analog has a small number of Pro Voice TGs.

The only two EDACS systems of size in New England that I am aware of are the T and Hartford.

I've heard it once or twice on analog about 4 or 5 months back, every so often I hear it in digital. The audio quality on digital is generally pretty rough.

Worcester had an EDACS system but went P25. I wish they were still EDACS then I could get em from my house or on a high hill, the coverage would be way better... if they kept the OLD transmitter site in Pax

OceanNora

I'm lucky enough to always receive the MBTA system, it seems as if the police talkgroups are intermittently used though. Every so often I'd hear noise from the BAPERN 3 patch to the point where I'd have to lock it out. If you're within range I'd suggest getting the ProVoice upgrade, I've found it to be worth listening to as a lot of interesting events occur and are resolved without the transit police becoming involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.