Boston PD P25 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

12dbsinad

Does anyone have any updated info on the possible future of BPD converting to P25? Has a RFP been put out?

Thanks.

topcop522

They are currently installing equipment now and plan the switch over next year is what I hear.

bobsav21

Think they will go encrypted ?
From what I heard encryption in built into these new systems, it's a matter of just flipping a few switches
no added cost involved.
I may be wrong but would like to be corrected if someone knows more about it.
Bob

RKG

I claim, and offer, no inside information as to whether BPD intends to implement encryption on the patrol channels (F1 through F7). However, for those who wish to speculate, some details are in order.

Motorola essentially offers two forms of encryption in a P25 world. One, called ADP, uses the radio codeplug and the CPS to handle bit hashing and key management. CPS-ADP is essentially a free option. There is a consensus amongst those in the public safety world that ADP encryption is not secure enough for public safety communications warranting encryption, and as a result it is not widely used for that purpose.

The other form uses a separate module, called a UCM, that has to be installed in each subscriber; the UCM handles bit hashing and key programming has to be done via a keyloader, which much physically touch each subscriber. This implies a potentially hefty hardware and overhead cost to UCM encryption.

Both XTS and APX radios render CPS-based ADP and UCM encryption as exclusive options; that is to say, if you install and activate a UCM, you cannot simultaneously implement CPS-based ADP on other channels. (One can, if desired, employ a multi-format UCM and program one of its formats to match the ADP format, but since one would already have to incur the costs and other burdens of UCM encryption, using the UCM to implement the ADP format has no real world practical value except where it might be necessary to maintain interoperability with some other CPS-ADP based system.)

Given that BPD has operated without encryption on its patrol channels for decades without issue, and that BPD already has (and will continue to have) encryption on other channels for those occasions where it is considered necessary, one probably shouldn't bet the lunch money that the patrol channels will be encrypted.

I doubt they will go ENC. Why would they? They seem to know what theyre doing with their radio channels and pass traffic on the patrol channels that don't need encryption. All the sensitive stuff is done over cell or the encrypted tac channels.

garys

Premium Subscriber
We need a "Like" button on this forum. :D

I was thinking the same about the operational parts of this post just about 10 minutes ago. You saved me the effort of typing it. :)

I claim, and offer, no inside information as to whether BPD intends to implement encryption on the patrol channels (F1 through F7). However, for those who wish to speculate, some details are in order.

Motorola essentially offers two forms of encryption in a P25 world. One, called ADP, uses the radio codeplug and the CPS to handle bit hashing and key management. CPS-ADP is essentially a free option. There is a consensus amongst those in the public safety world that ADP encryption is not secure enough for public safety communications warranting encryption, and as a result it is not widely used for that purpose.

The other form uses a separate module, called a UCM, that has to be installed in each subscriber; the UCM handles bit hashing and key programming has to be done via a keyloader, which much physically touch each subscriber. This implies a potentially hefty hardware and overhead cost to UCM encryption.

Both XTS and APX radios render CPS-based ADP and UCM encryption as exclusive options; that is to say, if you install and activate a UCM, you cannot simultaneously implement CPS-based ADP on other channels. (One can, if desired, employ a multi-format UCM and program one of its formats to match the ADP format, but since one would already have to incur the costs and other burdens of UCM encryption, using the UCM to implement the ADP format has no real world practical value except where it might be necessary to maintain interoperability with some other CPS-ADP based system.)

Given that BPD has operated without encryption on its patrol channels for decades without issue, and that BPD already has (and will continue to have) encryption on other channels for those occasions where it is considered necessary, one probably shouldn't bet the lunch money that the patrol channels will be encrypted.

RKG

We need a "Like" button on this forum. :D

I was thinking the same about the operational parts of this post just about 10 minutes ago. You saved me the effort of typing it. :)

Since we are now more or less relegated to "typing" with one finger on a touch screen -- which I rate right up there with programming voice announcements -- next time I'll let you go first. 😁

12dbsinad

Agreed.

I will add, as coming from someone who visits the City, the metro area has communications down packed.. not to many places I go do I see interop like I do in Mass. I was in the city during the marathon bombings and I was beside myself on the use of resources, including BAPERN which I think is excellent. Old technology, but it works!

I doubt they would want to throw encryption on regular channels.

garys

Premium Subscriber
You do a better job of it. :D

Since we are now more or less relegated to "typing" with one finger on a touch screen -- which I rate right up there with programming voice announcements -- next time I'll let you go first. 😁

APX7500X2

Motorola essentially offers two forms of encryption in a P25 world. One, called ADP, uses the radio codeplug and the CPS to handle bit hashing and key management. CPS-ADP is essentially a free option. There is a consensus amongst those in the public safety world that ADP encryption is not secure enough for public safety communications warranting encryption, and as a result it is not widely used for that purpose..

Just an FYI on the APX the "UCM" is on the board so no new hardware just a flash upgrade and Motorola now offers AES256 Software encryption where no key loader is needed anymore.

It would be silly to upgrade and not do 100% encryption, All public safety should be 100% encrypted all the time, the public has no need to listen live (We WANT to but don't NEED to) If your worried about what the cops are saying you can get the tapes anytime you want

12dbsinad

Any updates on the BPD radio system upgrade? I've heard a year build out back last September.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
All public safety should be 100% encrypted all the time, the public has no need to listen live (We WANT to but don't NEED to) If your worried about what the cops are saying you can get the tapes anytime you want

I would disagree with that on a number of levels

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
I would disagree with that on a number of levels

Thats because you want to listen live, so do i but no one has a need to listen live except the people doing the job.
If you have a need to listen live you will be issued a radio, If you havent been issued a radio you have your answer.
I like the idea of delayed feeds, The public safety people can get the security they need and we can still listen to exciting things 30 min later, A win-win

Status
Not open for further replies.