CambridgeSide Galleria Public Safety on CoMIRS 1185

Status
Not open for further replies.

masstech

The past two days, twice, "CambridgeSide Security" has called for "Cambridge Control" on Talkgroup ID 1185 (which I have labeled as the TG that gets used on orange button activations).

Yesterday was for medical aid, today was for an unruly party.

Since then, I have not recalled any use of that TG for emergency button activations, and I can't check because Unitrunker has once again gone busted on me (I really do wish it allowed for at least importing a list of Unit IDs or Talkgroup IDs associating Aliases... I wonder if SDRTrunk allows for that.)

It has been the same Unit ID for CambridgeSide Security both times, UID 22343, and Control Terminal 10 for the Cambridge ECC side (which I believe is the terminal that the supervisor usually sits at - CT2 and 3 are usually for Control, CT9 is usually for Fire Alarm).

Last time I visited CambridgeSide just before the new year, I saw a suited manager-type conversing and directing security personnel, holding an APX 900, 1000, or 4000*, so it's very possible their supervisors no longer have to get their base to phone things in, which definitely was the case until now, and can just contact the ECC directly via radio while in the field (as evidenced by yelling being heard in the background for today's unruly call).

I also recall I was getting very spotty hits while scanning in the parking garage - which makes sense - garages two, three levels deep do not make for RF friendly environments. CambridgeSide maintenance and security personnel were doing just fine, so they either have an underground simulcast or a different site**, or more likely, a conventional repeater coverage underground that's patched***.

* - at the time, I was only able to note that it didn't look like a standard APX 6/7/8000 package. Regular grey-uniformed security were holding onto their mix of abused XTS 5000 and 2500 model 1s.
** - which does not make sense, since we would have possibly seen it with Unitrunker as a connected site.
*** - I was not paying attention if I was seeing Unit IDs while underground when those units were talking.

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
The past two days, twice, "CambridgeSide Security" has called for "Cambridge Control" on Talkgroup ID 1185 (which I have labeled as the TG that gets used on orange button activations).

Yesterday was for medical aid, today was for an unruly party.

Since then, I have not recalled any use of that TG for emergency button activations, and I can't check because Unitrunker has once again gone busted on me (I really do wish it allowed for at least importing a list of Unit IDs or Talkgroup IDs associating Aliases... I wonder if SDRTrunk allows for that.)

It has been the same Unit ID for CambridgeSide Security both times, UID 22343, and Control Terminal 10 for the Cambridge ECC side (which I believe is the terminal that the supervisor usually sits at - CT2 and 3 are usually for Control, CT9 is usually for Fire Alarm).

Last time I visited CambridgeSide just before the new year, I saw a suited manager-type conversing and directing security personnel, holding an APX 900, 1000, or 4000*, so it's very possible their supervisors no longer have to get their base to phone things in, which definitely was the case until now, and can just contact the ECC directly via radio while in the field (as evidenced by yelling being heard in the background for today's unruly call).

I also recall I was getting very spotty hits while scanning in the parking garage - which makes sense - garages two, three levels deep do not make for RF friendly environments. CambridgeSide maintenance and security personnel were doing just fine, so they either have an underground simulcast or a different site**, or more likely, a conventional repeater coverage underground that's patched***.

* - at the time, I was only able to note that it didn't look like a standard APX 6/7/8000 package. Regular grey-uniformed security were holding onto their mix of abused XTS 5000 and 2500 model 1s.
** - which does not make sense, since we would have possibly seen it with Unitrunker as a connected site.
*** - I was not paying attention if I was seeing Unit IDs while underground when those units were talking.

The Galleria Mall does not have its own site on the trunked system or a conventional channel. The actual subscriber radios pick up control channels much better than any scanners will, which would explain why their radios were working and your scanner was having trouble getting a signal. They also could have a BDA(Bi-Directional Amplifier) for the entire trunk in the mall to increase coverage, as they have one in there for the CFD/CPD conventional channels I believe.

masstech

The Galleria Mall does not have its own site on the trunked system or a conventional channel. The actual subscriber radios pick up control channels much better than any scanners will, which would explain why their radios were working and your scanner was having trouble getting a signal. They also could have a BDA(Bi-Directional Amplifier) for the entire trunk in the mall to increase coverage, as they have one in there for the CFD/CPD conventional channels I believe.

My APX was having trouble. So was a colleague's XTS (do not recall the model).

The BDAs that CFD authorizes for installation does not cover the entire channel set of their P25 site (the ones I've dealt with appear to still be meant for the Type II system), and don't cover the fireground channels either.

That's what channels 13 and 15 are for (14D, 16D).

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
My APX was having trouble. So was a colleague's XTS (do not recall the model).

The BDAs that CFD authorizes for installation does not cover the entire channel set of their P25 site (the ones I've dealt with appear to still be meant for the Type II system), and don't cover the fireground channels either.

That's what channels 13 and 15 are for (14D, 16D).

Your APX portable may have a different antenna on it then the city puts on there radios, causing it not to work well. There are indeed several BDAs in use around the city on the three conventional channels, in fact all new Hi-Rise buildings are required to have them in it as well as some other buildings that the city determines does not have acceptable coverage. The direct channels are for "dead zones", BDAs can fail, not all buildings in the city have been tested for coverage, and some user may not want their transmittions to go over the repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.