Person or place to contact about encrypted channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemmaKnight

Hello all. Does anyone know of a person or place that I can contact about encrypted channels. I'm asking because the police frequencies in the city I live in (Springfield,Massachusetts) have become encrypted and It's quite annoying in several ways. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! ☺

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I'd recommend writing a polite and professional letter to the Chief of Police for the agency in question. It's impossible to project what results you will get. Do not go the route of telling them what to do or start spewing about tax dollars. That will not end well.

You may want to focus on the positive aspects of having patrol communications done in clear, and have tactical/investigation communication be done with encryption. That seems to be a very friendly trade off for including the public but also having some officer safety at the same time.

mule1075

Feed Provider
You could try what is in the post above and see. But since they have been encrypted since November 2016 I think the attempt will be futile. Good Luck.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Encryption

Hello all. Does anyone know of a person or place that I can contact about encrypted channels. I'm asking because the police frequencies in the city I live in (Springfield,Massachusetts) have become encrypted and It's quite annoying in several ways. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! ☺

I feel your pain.

Good Luck with that.

:roll:

Most hobbyist just L/O the offending channels and figure out a way to live on with what's left to monitor in their area.

My entire county's Law Enforcement just went encrypted (Not just the local town & not just the TAC ch's, EVERYTHING). :mad:
https://forums.radioreference.com/p...unty-p25-system-opensky-system-dumped-21.html

Not to mention the State Police (HP to some) have been un-monitorable for years (OpenSky) & the new system will be scannable P25/2 but encrypted.

Welcome to the future.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
R8000 is correct. It's essential that you don't try to boss him/them about what should or should not be done.
Try to show where some radio transmission in the clear have helped citizens locate or apprehend a criminal. By showing data or documents that are in your favor is the route to go.
Good luck.

bailly2

you could listen to the input frequencies 465.1 465.45 465.5 with attenuation on. would tell you if there is activity nearby.

GemmaKnight

R8000 is correct. It's essential that you don't try to boss him/them about what should or should not be done.
Try to show where some radio transmission in the clear have helped citizens locate or apprehend a criminal. By showing data or documents that are in your favor is the route to go.
Good luck.

I already mailed the letter and am awaiting a response. I'll see if there is any transmissions on my 436hp where that info is mentioned. I have a family member that's a cop so maybe she can be some help? ☺

RFI-EMI-GUY

You might try monitoring VHF mutual aid channels. I noticed a neighboring county sometimes simulcasts in the clear on MA or gives out a lot of info when activity crosses borders. Not good for their OPSEC, but they have to do it.

Though I applaud the chutzpah it takes to reach out regarding encryption..
But this is Massachusetts, unless your donating big $$ or on the council...S-O-L...
SPD went dark ...Aint no lifting that..

GemmaKnight

UPDATE: I got a response from the Springfield pd about the encryption and as expected it's a no go. Oh well. About listening to WMLEC it sort of works which is ok. Thanks again! ☺

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
approach the right people

Now that youve gotten your reply stating the obvious, its time to contact your elected officials. First, look around for encryption information in the forums section here and get as much of the opposing viewpoints as you can get. Then fire off a note to your elected officals. State your reasons for your being upset. The reply you get will probably be the same as the previous one you got from the Chief. Because thats where the elected official is going to forward your note to. So be sure and mention in the note you already got a reply from the Chief... your intent is to not accept the stated reasons for encryption. After you get no where with your elected officials, attend the public meetings and ask why in front of an audience. Most voters become very paranoid at the thought of encryption and ideas such as a police state start spreading quickly. there's nothing like someone asking where is the justification for encrypting ALL transmissions? What statistics did they use to justify not letting us listen? What are they saying thats so private we arent allowed to hear?

It is harder to change back than if we became involved up front before the new system was installed but its worth a try. And for all those that fear encryption is coming to a city or town near you, jump in early... talk it up amongst the townspeople. Get to it before its part of a proposed budget and influence the amount of encryption that will be tolerated. Remember, once that encrypted comm system is part of the proposed budget and is printed, it can only be voted up or down. Rarely is it ever changed once proposed before the vote. I contact my town radio authority once a year and ask whats in the pipeline. Its a matter of public record. They have to respond truthfully. If I hear encryption is in the mix, I will make that known before the system specs are finalized to better influence the outcome. Thats the only way we have a chance to make encryption a limited option instead of a fully encompassing option.

Status
Not open for further replies.