RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Massachusetts Radio Discussion Forum

Massachusetts Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Massachusetts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2018, 11:14 AM

Default Mass State Police

Which system is the MSP using? The P25 Listed under Commonwealth of Mass or the SmartZone Type II listed under Mass State Police?

Uniden BCD536HP BC125AT
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Massachusetts DBA
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Both. It depends on location. However, in my experience many talkgroups have been linked between the systems. You can clearly hear digital comms over the smartzone system from units in the metro Boston area. I believe the SP is also using the P25 system on the western part of the state (B troop and maybe C). Things you won't hear on the analog system are talkgroups like Boston fire simulcast.

Also the P25 system has limited coverage right now. Metro Boston (Boston proper and then Blue Hills) and out west will be the only areas you can receive this system in. Check the site data in the database. I moved out of the area and can't receive it any more.

*Short answer: for routine scanning of most of the state use the Smartzone system.*

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedff248 View Post
Both. It depends on location. However, in my experience many talkgroups have been linked between the systems. You can clearly hear digital comms over the smartzone system from units in the metro Boston area. I believe the SP is also using the P25 system on the western part of the state (B troop and maybe C). Things you won't hear on the analog system are talkgroups like Boston fire simulcast.

Also the P25 system has limited coverage right now. Metro Boston (Boston proper and then Blue Hills) and out west will be the only areas you can receive this system in. Check the site data in the database. I moved out of the area and can't receive it any more.

*Short answer: for routine scanning of most of the state use the Smartzone system.*

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Ok, thanks.

Uniden BCD536HP BC125AT
Old 10-27-2018, 9:45 PM

MSP Troop B (West of Worcester County) and Troop F (Logan Airport) use the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts P25 trunk system. The rest of the state (Troop A, C, D, H) use the SmartZone system.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is still plenty of land covered by the Analog [SmartZone] system, West of Worcester

kind of reminds me of the quote "west coast of Massachusetts"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrissey23 View Post
MSP Troop B (West of Worcester County) and Troop F (Logan Airport) use the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts P25 trunk system. The rest of the state (Troop A, C, D, H) use the SmartZone system.
Sponsored links