Mass State Police w/ BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tshee23

Im thinking about getting a BCT15X but was wondering if it will work with the MSP, Im currently in the Weymouth area of MA. Thanks

brian943

All here on the site

Massachusetts State Police - https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=736

BCT15X - https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCT15X

Looks like it is compatible if MSP truly is a Motorola Type II SmartZone , am concerned with the system voice being listed as analog, perhaps someone with the radio in Mass can chime in...

"This scanner is compatible with the following Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database, of course you must verify that the scanner will cover the appropriate frequency range:

System Types:
Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
Motorola Type II VOC
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
EDACS Narrowband Networked
EDACS SCAT
EDACS ESK (not ProVoice)
LTR Standard

System Voices: Analog"

Tshee23

Thank you.

I know the BCT15X covers Motorola Smartzone but was wondering if anyone on here happened to live around the Weymouth area and has one to see how they pick them up in the area. Would like to see if I can pick up Troop D and H since I can pick up Boston fine on my 125AT.

Guess I’ll have to buy one and see for myself.

divison200

Troop D and Troop H

You will receive both of these troops. Just program the boston simulcast frequencies for easy use and you will receive troop A,C,D and H( also you will need the TGID Numbers programmed also).

garys

Premium Subscriber
You'll get Zone 5 fine. There is a transmitter site on Great Blue Hill. You'll get A, B, C, D Patrol 1, and all of H. Essentially you'll get all of MA east of Worcester except the Cape. If you put Zone 3 in as well, you'll get the Upper Cape and the Fall River - New Bedford area.

Thank you.

I know the BCT15X covers Motorola Smartzone but was wondering if anyone on here happened to live around the Weymouth area and has one to see how they pick them up in the area. Would like to see if I can pick up Troop D and H since I can pick up Boston fine on my 125AT.

Guess I’ll have to buy one and see for myself.

Tshee23

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I think I’m going to go ahead and get one.

kennyblues

If you can afford it spend a bit more and get a scanner that will receive P-25, that way you can hear two of your neighborhood towns, Rockland and Holbrook. And to be ready for other agencies who may upgrade in the future

APX7500X2

You do know the 15X will only be good for another year or two, MSP is going P25 Phase 2 digital trunking.
Your area already has a lot of overlap coverage of the new system

gillham

Feed Provider
You do know the 15X will only be good for another year or two, MSP is going P25 Phase 2 digital trunking.
Your area already has a lot of overlap coverage of the new system

How confident are you in that year or two time frame? From people I've talked to, they say it will take a *very* long time for MSP to move to the P25 system.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Absent a large infusion of federal money, I think that a year or two is very optimistic. There still isn't complete coverage in western MA after several years of build out.

Not to mention that many departments other than the MSP use the analog system, so they would also have to buy new equipment.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure that MA is going after additional money by increasing the 911 surcharge on your cellphone bill. This will give them the funding to complete a mobile based P25 system. A long, long way from high 90's% portable coverage but it is a start.

chris

APX7500X2

They are only going for a Mobile coverage system like CT & RI for the build out, They have money for 15 more sites for the eastern side of the state right now and money for 400 new mobile radios (I have a friend in the MSP radio shop)

Last edited:

gillham

Feed Provider
They are only going for a Mobile coverage system like CT & RI for the build out, They have money for 15 more sites for the eastern side of the state right now and money for 400 new mobile radios (I have a friend in the MSP radio shop)

More sites for the eastern side of the state - sounds good to me. Maybe help with some of the coverage using a portable. Nothing but static on a stretch of 128 through Lexington on the portable/Moto II.
400 Mobile radios I imagine will only cover a fraction of the cruiser fleet - then they'd need portables too. I wonder if the consoles and interop folks need upgrading as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.