Oakland CO and MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy252

On the oakland county database page, it states that "Some agencies are looking at moving to the MPSCS rather than the CLEMIS"

Does anyone know which agencies are looking into MPSCS rather than Clemis?

fnnm1062

longtime member
I have heard some communities and agencies in the Southwest corner (unk which for sure but novi, lyon twp, south lyon, community ems)

RayAir

Oakland County TRS is still active. I logged 48 different talk groups on it over the last week. I also heard that Royal Oak FD is sticking to VHF-HI now and will not switch over. Maybe Oakland County can cut their losses and go EDACS Pro Voice or to the states P25 system. It's also confirmed that Waterford police do not have M/A-Com radios in their cars as of yet. They were supposed to be the next dept. to switch over.

bigbluemsp

Oakland County TRS is still active. I logged 48 different talk groups on it over the last week. I also heard that Royal Oak FD is sticking to VHF-HI now and will not switch over. Maybe Oakland County can cut their losses and go EDACS Pro Voice or to the states P25 system. It's also confirmed that Waterford police do not have M/A-Com radios in their cars as of yet. They were supposed to be the next dept. to switch over.

Ray I will try to confirm that. I know someone very very close to the O.S. mess.

R.O.P.D. is going to Open Sky and from last I heard ROFD was as well.

weeksben1

I know Independence Twp Fire Department has most of their MA/COM radios, but they are still using them in conventional mode (as of labor day). I'll keep my ears open as to when/if they go opensky mode.

FNNM376

Dont know about Royal Oak Police, But Royal Oak Fire is going to be going to a new repeated VHF Freq. in the near Future and i confirmed it from several differnt sources.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Royal Oak Fire has aquired an input and output VHF freq and is in the process of setting it all up. Word has it the FD is going to station on the new VHF band. I'm sure all will get MA COM to complete the project, but I see some not moving..

RayAir

Waterford FD Open Sky Update

Well I took the family to Hess Hathaway Park this weekend and Waterford FD had some vehicles there. I saw new black antennas on the roofs with coils in the middle (800mhz) so I looked inside and to my horror I saw a new radio and a nice new speaker with M/A-Com in white letters scrawled across the front. They still had their VHF radios also, for now? Hopefully Waterford PD take a while to switch. I think fire will still tone-out on VHF-HI even with Open Sky. I don't think Motorola Minitors are compatible with Open Sky.

When we went to the airport open house back in late August the M/A-Com radios were not installed yet in the FD vehicles or PD vehicles. I do not know if PD vehicles in Waterford have the Open Sky radios yet. I do know that Waterford PD is still on the Oakland County legacy system and Waterford FD still tones out on 154.385.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
This is music to my ears......from the sounds of things, it sounds like most of these departments are seeing the ERROR of their ways and realizing that they were and are dumping TOO MUCH MONEY into that broken M/A Com System. I hope it continues that way.....Can you imagine if they were to switch to the MPSCS system what kind of communications they would have? Dear god that would be the best Digital System in the state!!!

Maybe one day....maybe one day......

RayAir

This is music to my ears......from the sounds of things, it sounds like most of these departments are seeing the ERROR of their ways and realizing that they were and are dumping TOO MUCH MONEY into that broken M/A Com System. I hope it continues that way.....Can you imagine if they were to switch to the MPSCS system what kind of communications they would have? Dear god that would be the best Digital System in the state!!!

Maybe one day....maybe one day......

On the Oakland County web site the Open Sky Radio Committee has an excuse page about the Open Sky system. One line read something like.... we know other counties have switched to other systems (MPSCS) and are up already, but we are willing to take the extra time for this new technology (Open Sky). I have talked to a M/A-Com radio engineer and he claims the new Open Sky TDMA 4-slot format is excellent and all the horror stories of Open Sky are from the old TDMA 2-slot systems. What can he really say though? The Oakland County CLEMIS is a four time slot TDMA. Open Sky sounds like a cool technology, but I don't think it is any better than Motorola's new offerings. And yes, the number 1 reason I dislike Open Sky is that it cannot be monitored by hobbyists. At Least it is plagued with problems and we are still able to listen to most of our counties PD/FD to this date. Open Sky was supposed to be up by late 2003 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.