Why is Community EMS simulcasted on Regional EMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Why do I always hear Community EMS calls on Regional EMS's talkgroup (12209)? They have 2 of their own (12211 and 12212) and their coverage areas don't overlap; Community serves only Oakland and Wayne and Regional serves only Genesee. They need to turn this patch off.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Are they patching both of their talkgroups into 12209? Does it change?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
So you're hearing it on both their dispatch talkgroup and 12209 at the same time? That's strange... Are you able to run trunker and see what all is being patched in?

SCPD

QRT
So you're hearing it on both their dispatch talkgroup and 12209 at the same time? That's strange... Are you able to run trunker and see what all is being patched in?

I don't have their actual talk groups programmed in, all I listen to is Genesee Co. But I know most of the calls on 12209 are in Oakland County. According to Regional's website they only serve Genesee though. I don't have any trunker type programs either, I want to listen to my scanner not read it.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha, guess I got confused. You said in your first post that there was a patch being used - what is being patched?

If you really are interested in talkgroup usage, especially for unknowns, hooking up to something like trunker is invaluable. Answers a boatload of questions...

SCPD

QRT
Gotcha, guess I got confused. You said in your first post that there was a patch being used - what is being patched?

If you really are interested in talkgroup usage, especially for unknowns, hooking up to something like trunker is invaluable. Answers a boatload of questions...

I think I'm hearign Community EMS north dispatch on Regional EMS's dispatch talkgroup.

I used to have Pro96com but I couldn't make any sense of the data, I just like to listen.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Are you absolutely sure that Regional EMS is the correct talkgroup? Are you hearing Regional EMS on it too? Or could someone have submitted it wrong?

SCPD

QRT
Yes I hear Genesee and Oakland Co calls on 12209. According to Regional's website they only serve Genesee Co (plus Lansing apparently). Why would I hear Oakland Co calls on it if they don't serve them? if its not them who else could it be, I don't know of any rigs that serve both Genesee and Oakland.

I guess itd be helpful to mention that Community owns Regional, that why I'm positive its a patch.

you ask too many questions rob, we're going in circles.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I'm asking questions because you're leaving out details that people need to answer ;)

If it was a patch, you would hear it on both talkgroups. I'm fairly positive MPSCS would not allow a 24x7 patch of two talkgroups, so that's pretty much a non-starter. Since they are owned by the same company, why is it hard to believe that they would both dispatch off the same talkgroup? Do they use totally different names or unit designators? They just spent half-a-million on a dispatch center, so doing more than one of their sub-companies seems like a plausible option.

But a 24x7 patch of two talkgroups on MPSCS? Doesn't.

SCPD

QRT
I'm asking questions because you're leaving out details that people need to answer ;)

If it was a patch, you would hear it on both talkgroups. I'm fairly positive MPSCS would not allow a 24x7 patch of two talkgroups, so that's pretty much a non-starter. Since they are owned by the same company, why is it hard to believe that they would both dispatch off the same talkgroup? Do they use totally different names or unit designators? They just spent half-a-million on a dispatch center, so doing more than one of their sub-companies seems like a plausible option.

But a 24x7 patch of two talkgroups on MPSCS? Doesn't.

What details am I leaving out? The patch is unnecessary IMO. (I never said it was 2 either, I think its only 1: Community's north TG is patched to Regional). Regional has its own talkgroup for Genesee Co calls, and Community has theirs for Oakland Co calls. Why do they need to be linked together? They should be separate because their service areas don't overlap. I don't get your cost analysis either. If they can afford the radios for 5 grand a pop they sure as hell can afford another dispatcher.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
A patch is when you take one talkgroup and link it to another, so whatever is transmitted on one is sent on both at the same time. That means two talkgroups are in use at the same time.

What I'm asking is how you are certain they are patching two talkgroups if you only listen to one. What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure MPSCS won't allow that on a continuous basis. So there must be another answer than a patch, unless you can come up with something that proves they are patching (i.e. listen to both talkgroups at the same time, or show something from pro96com which lists the patches.)

Otherwise it's more likely that they use one dispatcher on one talkgroup for both CEMS & REMS. I guess I don't understand why you don't think that is possible?

SCPD

QRT
A patch is when you take one talkgroup and link it to another, so whatever is transmitted on one is sent on both at the same time. That means two talkgroups are in use at the same time.

What I'm asking is how you are certain they are patching two talkgroups if you only listen to one. What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure MPSCS won't allow that on a continuous basis. So there must be another answer than a patch, unless you can come up with something that proves they are patching (i.e. listen to both talkgroups at the same time, or show something from pro96com which lists the patches.)

Otherwise it's more likely that they use one dispatcher on one talkgroup for both CEMS & REMS. I guess I don't understand why you don't think that is possible?

Because the database lists Community as having its own talkgroups (12211 and 12212). Maybe its wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time. It also lists 12210 as being Regional ch 2 and I've never heard a peep on it, same with the supposed Swartz ch 2 on 13023. Here's an idea: This site should have more than 1 person verify a talkgroup before its added to the database to avoid posting bad info!

Last edited:

w8fsm

Feed Provider
Your hearing health link via the vhf patch into regional... health link is the little step child of regional.. database is fine..

SCPD

QRT
Your hearing health link via the vhf patch into regional... health link is the little step child of regional.. database is fine..

Health Link? That makes even less sense, they only serve Wayne Co. according to their website

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

Well they need to turn the patch off. I really hate hearing Wayne County calls all the time on a Genesee County talkgroup. Why can't they use the other CEMS talkgroups instead, Oakland is closer to Wayne than Genesee!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Drop them a note on their website and let them know that the patch is bothering your listening preferences... That'd probably be the fastest way to get them to change their dispatch protocols in order to make your scanning a happier process.

SCPD

QRT
Drop them a note on their website and let them know that the patch is bothering your listening preferences... That'd probably be the fastest way to get them to change their dispatch protocols in order to make your scanning a happier process.

I didn't say they should change it just to suit me, I just want a reason for why it is the way it is. You seem like the know it all type, why don't you try to explain it to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.