What's the hold up in Oakland County, Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

I've been hearing for sometime now that Oakland County, Michigan was switching to a new system...MA/COM Open Sky. Yet it still hasn't happened, and it now appears to be delayed until the end of the year, if then! Anyone know what is going on, and why all the problems?

Thanks!

mikey60

My opinion, and only my opinion, is unproven technology... M/A Com has been trying to get the same system up and running in Pennsylvania for years. Granted some of the issues there were due to the tower company going bankrupt, but still the technology is unproven...

We shall see I guess.

Mike

N

N_Jay

mikey60 said:
My opinion, and only my opinion, is unproven technology... M/A Com has been trying to get the same system up and running in Pennsylvania for years. Granted some of the issues there were due to the tower company going bankrupt, but still the technology is unproven...

We shall see I guess.

Mike
Having seen, touched and talked on the OpenSky network, the technology is definetly proven.

The question of the application of the technology to public safety radio systems is a bit open, but reasonable from all I have seen.

Hudecker

Oakland Co MI & Milwaukee WI OpenSky Systems

Has anyone heard the new systems up yet? Oakland Co was supposed to go live January 23rd. And Milwaukee is supposed to be testing now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

fnnm1062

longtime member
Some dept are testing the system and patching it through to the old system, others are supposed to have done a complete switchover, but still have not yet made that step. only time will tell

Last edited by a moderator:

N8DV

I monitor Oakland County from time to time and it appears that Southfield, West Bloomfield, and others are still on analog frequencies.

Jimmy252

Farmington City PD and FD are the only departments live on Ma/Com and not patching at all. They've been on for about a year and a half now, and havent reported any problems to my knowledge.

radioron231

Troy PD

Troy PD is 100% live on the MaCOM OpenSKY 800 radio system and they have shut down the VHF repeater. I can no longer hear Troy PD on their old VHF channel.

ROCKnTIME

I read somewhere there was some kind of interference problem between the radios and the computers in the police cars. They stated that AT&T was reporting the problem was related to an M/A Com issue and that M/A Com was reporting it was an AT&T issue. It’s the same BS I had to deal with when I worked in engineering at Comcast. It’s easier to blame the other person then work together for the benefit of the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.