A question about Kent Co. changing radio systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterman7716

Premium Subscriber
A while back there was some talk about Kent Co. and Grand Rapids going to a 800Mhz system either their own or the state system when they can have more talk groups. The question I have is has anyone heard if they are still going to do that or are they going to keep what they got?

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
nothing on it yet. Still on hold.
The MPSCS system needs an upgrade before the amount of radios needed, could be added.
When it will happen, you will here it right away on here for sure :)
I am sure there is no guarantee they will use the state's system. You never know, they could do a Ingham or Allegan county and get their own. Too many variables, will just need to wait and see.
Good reading below:

Kent County going to MPSCS?
http://forums.radioreference.com/michigan-radio-discussion-forum/98011-kent-county-going-mpscs.html

Kent county combines dispatch centers
http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...47-kent-county-combines-dispatch-centers.html

Grand Rapids Approves Dispatch Agreement
http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...grand-rapids-approves-dispatch-agreement.html

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I think the MPSCS upgrade was completed, I know it started a few weeks back.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
MPSCS Upgrade

That upgrade happened on 3-23-2011 so it's now able to handle 128,000 radio ID's.

nothing on it yet. Still on hold.
The MPSCS system needs an upgrade before the amount of radios needed, could be added.

When it will happen, you will here it right away on here for sure :)
I am sure there is no guarantee they will use the state's system. You never know, they could do a Ingham or Allegan county and get their own. Too many variables, will just need to wait and see.
Good reading below:

Kent County going to MPSCS?
http://forums.radioreference.com/michigan-radio-discussion-forum/98011-kent-county-going-mpscs.html

Kent county combines dispatch centers
http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...47-kent-county-combines-dispatch-centers.html

Grand Rapids Approves Dispatch Agreement
http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...grand-rapids-approves-dispatch-agreement.html

rki616

While I'm not going to post a big long thing.. I can tell you that KC Will MOST likely NOT go to the State system. Way to many radios, way to costly, Coverage Sucks, blah blah blah..

weisej

I have a friend that stated RS here in kent co told him today kent will be switched all to 800mhz state system in 2013. Wondering if anyone knows more about this.

Skud

Feed Provider
You can say for sure what they will do in 2013, but with the spotty service in the GR area, unless they add a new tower, I don't see them doing that. Since there is no tower in GR, if they are in any building, they most likely will have no service.
I have been watching the County Board of Commissioners meeting notes to see if they have any update, but since early last year I have seen nothing about any type of switch.

weisej

I know this debate has been going in circles for years now... I know they are currently working on rebanding as well as some narrowband stuff and wasn't sure if any of that would effect their plans. Also was wondering if some of the members here had the inside scoop if they were planning on adding all of Kent county on to the state system but it appears its the same debate that comes around once a year of these "rumors".

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm assuming also they and prolly others will wait for the rebanding of the radios to be done or when the the new frequencies to be turned on at this point.
I know Bay county waited for their radios to be rebanded till they went digital on the 12th. Meaning the radios have the capability to use the new frequencies but are still using the non rebabnded frequencies.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No. They are not moving to MPSCS. It has nothing to do with rebanding or narrow banding or anything. It is not like what Bay County is doing.

To repeat, they are NOT moving.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I know they are not moving! I repeat I gave bay county as an example ONLY !
I used the word 'assuming' as opposed to 'i know' btw you saw there the two threads pertaining to the same similar subject.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
That's my point. Your assumption has nothing to do with what is actually happening in the real world. They aren't waiting for anything.

rki616

Listen folks.. As one of the 9 800MHZ radio users from KCSD. I'll tell you right now I'll be sure to share with you when and if they make the decision to change to the 800MHZ system.

Why is Kent County not going to switch any time soon?

#1) Coverage - My portable gets about 75% coverage in Kent County. I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong but I've been all over the county and I can tell you what it does and doesn't do.

#2) Cost - The fact is radios cost between 2-5K each. I'd guess 100 radios per department and minimum. Give or take a few. Plus the yearly user fee @ 200 per radio

#3) They just spent money on becoming narrow band compliant.

Every 6 months this rumor pop's up. It pop's up to get everyone all worked up and then one of us in the know pop's in and ruins it.

Just smile and enjoy.. If your wondering about buying an 800mhz scanner to monitor stuff in KC do it. You'll enjoy it. Lots of traffic, just not from non state agencies in Kent County.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Better bet - in 6 months someone will start this rumor again. And those in the know will deny it. And then others will offer assumptions that have no basis. And we will roll the ball again!

Skud

Feed Provider
Listen folks.. As one of the 9 800MHZ radio users from KCSD. I'll tell you right now I'll be sure to share with you when and if they make the decision to change to the 800MHZ system.

Why is Kent County not going to switch any time soon?

#1) Coverage - My portable gets about 75% coverage in Kent County. I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong but I've been all over the county and I can tell you what it does and doesn't do.

#2) Cost - The fact is radios cost between 2-5K each. I'd guess 100 radios per department and minimum. Give or take a few. Plus the yearly user fee @ 200 per radio

#3) They just spent money on becoming narrow band compliant.

Every 6 months this rumor pop's up. It pop's up to get everyone all worked up and then one of us in the know pop's in and ruins it.

Just smile and enjoy.. If your wondering about buying an 800mhz scanner to monitor stuff in KC do it. You'll enjoy it. Lots of traffic, just not from non state agencies in Kent County.

Cost, they didn't spend that much since they have a surcharge all cell phones that have a phone number in the kent county area.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I do know that when the rebanding project is finished, there will be a lot of leftover Quantar transmitters that are planned for new sites, or expansion of existing ones. Grand Rapids is one location that will receive a new site to improve reception in Kent County. Unknown at this time where the transmitter site will be located at, but current thinking is that it will be on top of a tall building in the downtown area.

73's

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.