MSP helicopter patrolling over Grand Rapids

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjwgrr

Was at the GRR viewing area at early this afternoon monitoring airband. Around 13:30 hours the MSP helicopter N111SP departed GRR and proceeded over downtown Grand Rapids. The MSP crew informed the GRR controllers they were on patrol. I checked the local news sites to see if there was any incidents they may have been responding to, but found none.

Wondering why they may have been "patrolling." I thought traffic enforcement used fixed wing aircraft generally away from urban areas, and their helicopters aren't typically dispatched unless there's a major incident or security for a visiting VIP.

OCO

Not unusual to be looking for plots of marijuana plants from the air/ or traffic on the x-ways.

Uhhh, not really prime growing season, unless they're looking for overheated inside grow operations with the infrared equipment...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Not unusual for them to just fly, you can hear their actual ops on the MPSCS talkgroups.

markm1245

They patrol over Detroit 2-3 days a week. I heared they are looking in to buying 2 more helicopters to expand patrols over major citys in Mich. Last month they took a Bell rep. up for tour.

nodak1crdet3

I was wondering where TROOPER 2 has been for awile. I haven't seen him pass over my house in days now. Around 03:30pm he will pass over my house low level. I'm just north of Detroit City Airport.

123.025 is a popular A/A freq for helo's.

mkoronka

Seems like just yesterday that we had to sell off almost all of the aircraft because we were broke.....

Yea do you remember when Jenny was in office and there was not even enough money for fuel? The big joke up here was when Otsego did a status check with the state units would always come back with a statement like we are on stationary patrol I-75 mm 284. A call or two and one trip on I-75 through the county and their mileage would be used up for the shift. When you drive by our post it looks like a MSP car dealership lot and Ricky has big plans with troops for the future. I never would have guessed closing down posts (not selling them) would have had such big results. I might want to think about closing down house (not selling it) seeing how well it has worked for the state!!!

KB2SKY

Uhhh, not really prime growing season, unless they're looking for overheated inside grow operations with the infrared equipment...

I thought this was found unconstitutional as a warrantless search?- sort of invading citizen's rights against unreasonable searches. Not sure where the courts are on this nowdays.

m297

I thought this was found unconstitutional as a warrantless search?- sort of invading citizen's rights against unreasonable searches. Not sure where the courts are on this nowdays.

Where did you see that at? Because HEMP fly's are done all the time.....

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
It's my understanding they can fly and look for anything within 'plain sight', but cannot use IR or other special imaging without a warrant as that is no longer 'plain sight'

It's been a few years since I took those classes... but I thinks that's accurate.

KB2SKY

That was my recollection, also. Something to the effect that using FLIR and other heat cameras constituted an invasion of pricacy, or at least a presumption of guilt. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that the officers aren't supposed to go on such a fishing expedition.

nodak1crdet3

TROPPER 2 is back flying over Detroit in the Bell Jet Ranger N111SP. Saw him flying east bound along 7 Mile around 4pm Wednesday. He didn't fly over my house this time.

Flir is used on a regular basis. I assume that if they spotted you growing indoors originally from flir, they would not tell you but monitor electricity or something to use as a basis, etc. Considering your defensive position and post count, one would become suspicious itself, regardless perhaps it may just be easier to get a legal green card lol (license) to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.