Programming Detroit with CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

acollinsphoto

Hey Everyone, i am new to this forum so hopefully don't bash me too much!

I am an avid fire buff, coming to detroit this weekend - attempting to understand the complicated michigan/ detroit frequency database page.

What Do i need to be able to chase fires, I understand detroit has one Dispatch and then ten fireground channels - but which towers do i program? I will be programming a Motorola XTS 5000R and a uniden scanner for backup!

Thanks in advance

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber

I am an avid fire buff, coming to detroit this weekend - attempting to understand the complicated michigan/ detroit frequency database page.

What Do i need to be able to chase fires, I understand detroit has one Dispatch and then ten fireground channels - but which towers do i program? I will be programming a Motorola XTS 5000R and a uniden scanner for backup!

Thanks in advance

Go to this link and find Detroit City Simulcast, program those freqs then scroll thru to find the Detroit Fire TG's.

Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I don't know what CPS is. From a scanner stand point you would want to program the CC and Alts.

don't get into trouble with a radio in Michigan to monitor them michigan has a scanner law and getting a radio to monitor them could be big trouble for you be safe.

mikey60

Michigan's scanner law changed in 2006. The only time it's illegal to have a scanner in Michigan is if you have been convicted of a felony in the last 5 years, or are using it in the commission of a crime. Other than that, you can have a scanner in a vehicle.

There is at least one city (Livonia) that still has an anti-scanner law that is similar to the state's old law (no scanner in a vehicle) but other than that there's no restriction.

Mike

PhillyPhoto

I never thought I'd be the one to be saying it, but get a scanner ;)

9600 systems are a lot more complicated to program correctly for monitoring only. A good overview was written up by ElroyJetson here. If it isn't done right, you can either not hear anything at all or you affiliate by accident and could put a cop, firefighter, paramedic at real risk because they didn't hear a call or couldn't ask for help. If you've never programmed a 3600 system, I would highly recommend AGAINST trying to dive right into a 9600 system.

With that disclaimer out of the way...

With the "scanner" you're programming, I would put the main CC for the Detroit simulcast as well as the 3 alternates. I flew into DTW a few times for my own buffing trips years ago and put the sites between the airport and the city in my scanner so I wouldn't lose any coverage going back and forth. If you sort the MPSCS system sites by county, they should all be in Wayne county, just compare the sites to a map of your route.

As far as your trip goes, There's a lot of focus on this time of year and there will more than likely be state and federal authorities around the city due to the increase in arson. My biggest piece of advice is to not be on scene before any apparatus. If you see something, drive around the block for a few minutes, you can save yourself some hassle down the road. A lot of the firefighters are laid back and love talking to people who come to town, but that isn't universal. Don't take it as an insult, but some of them are tired of being a national focus for what is such a bad thing.

If there's a lull in the action, there's lots to check out around downtown. There's some abandoned mansions around Edmund & John R. Take a trip over to Belle Isle Park for the shots of the Renaissance building and skyline you always see of Detroit.

Lastly, use your buffing instincts. If you hear one area is starting to get busy, check it out. On my first trip one of my friends stuck around in the 9th battalion and didn't see anything all night, we went over to squad 6 and followed them all night. Prepare to not get back to your hotel until about 6-7 am ;)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I never thought I'd be the one to be saying it, but get a scanner ;)

Yea, leave the Moto at home. Based on how you asked how to program it, you are in way over your head. You really need to know CPS to program a XTS to no affiliate scan a 9600bps system.

Sent from an unknown place...

kd8ati

Feed Provider

Thanks in advance

It does not appear to me the poster is unfamiliar with CPS. He was asking specifically about our system, which can be complicated if you are not familiar with it. First thing you need to verify your radio will do 9600 baud trunking... a lot of people don't realize that just because your moto radio will do trunking doesn't mean it will do 9600 baud. Contrary to some other posts, you do NOT need to program anything except the Detroit Simulcast CC and alternates. Detroit is unique in that the Detroit radios & talkgroups (with very few exceptions) are not allowed to affiliate with sites outside the simulcast. This is to prevent the overloading of Detroit traffic on other towers, that would not be able to handle it.

Having a scanner is a good idea... however depending on the type of scanner, it would be next to impossible to hear things due to the simulcast multi-path issues that plague certain scanners. A good backup (if you have a data plan on your cell) would be a radio scanner app. The feed provider for Detroit Fire uses an actual department radio, so it is very clear, and scans Dispatch as well as the fireground talkgroups.

As far as actual radio procedure... All calls are dispatched on the dispatch talkgroup. Units go en route and on scene, as well as give a sizeup on Dispatch. Once a working fire has been confirmed by the first unit on scene, Dispatch has all units assigned on the box switch to the fireground talkgroup associated with the assigned battalion chief, example a fire chief 7 is on all units would go to fire scene 7.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Not to continue the off topic portion of this conversation, but besides the amendments made in 2006, you are permitted to have a scanner in Michigan if you have a FCC Amateur Radio Operator or FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License. This has now been accepted in most of the 50-states, except California where they remain militant regardless.

As to programming, just like the poster above said...CC's and alternates plus TGs. Voice channels aren't needed. Just make sure you don't affiliate. That's a headache nobody needs.

Last edited:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Thanks in advance

First of all don't let some of these non-technical radio watch dog's piss on your parade. If you follow these direction's to a "TEE" and I mean a "TEE" then you are golden. Dont let anybody else tell you different. Alot of people have no idea and they think they know what they are talking about which they probably do. There are many people out there using this method and it works on a Type II Phase I and Phase II system.

Good Luck out there. Dont let these weirdo's tell you different. Enjoy Fire Chasing. Just be careful when carrying this equipment and keep everything hidden and don't get in anybodies way and just be cool. You catch my drift young man.

Now go and follow these directions.

https://www.p25.ca/threads/2885-No-Affiliate-Trunked-Scan-Instructions

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The problem with these simulcast systems is that reception is downright awful on a scanner. If you want to listen, a real radio is the only way to go.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
The problem with these simulcast systems is that reception is downright awful on a scanner. If you want to listen, a real radio is the only way to go.

Yeah and the Detroit Simulcast is the poster child for that fact. That is why the two feeds on RR that stream Detroit use real radios and not scanners.

PhillyPhoto

Hey, just wondering how you made out. I heard from a friend who went out for Devil's Night that there were about 60-80 photographers at every scene lol. How did your listening end up working out?

Status
Not open for further replies.