New member from Adrian MI

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmohr

I guess this is just sort of an introduction of sorts. I don't know if that is a "thing" on these forums, but some like it, and a few require it. If anything it is fair warning that there will probably be some fairly newb questions to come lol.

I turn 50 next month and I have been trying to decide how to treat my mid life crisis. I thought maybe a small motorcycle, or a little sports car, Oh, maybe a shiny .357. You know, something I need like I need another hole in my head. Just a little gift to myself, because I will be honest I really didn't think I would make it to 50 lol. So I decided to get a police scanner. Holy crap, I have turned into my dad!

I live on the corner of valley and 52, so right between two hospitals and two fire stations. Lots of sirens here, ambulances, fire, multiple police departments and agencies. I thought it might be nice to know where they were all going for a change.

I ordered a Whistler ws1098 from the bearcat warehouse today. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. I have no idea if I need a digital scanner with p25 phase 1 and II and all the other features, but I have it if I need it I guess. The last time I messed with a scanner was some portable thing from radio shack in like 1996. Some nascar fan where I worked offered me a stupid amount of money for it before a race so I sold it lol. Before that just messing with my dads old 8 channel crystal scanner. Man things have changed! So lets just say I don't know much about scanners and I will probably have lots of goofy questions.

All I really want to hear is Adrian police, Raisin township, the local sheriff and I guess the state police since I will have the capability (or will I ?). Oh and the local fire and ambulances of course. Not really interested in the jail, courthouse, prison, public works, schools or police departments that are not near me. I assume I can just put my zip code in the scanner and then lock out all the stuff I don't want to hear somehow. Or if someone wants to give me some tips on programming it that would be great too. I understand the basic programming for regular channels and stuff, but the trunking thing confuses the heck out of me. For all I know I could have bought a 90 dollar analog scanner for what I want but I have know way of figuring out what channels are digital, analog or trunked lol.

Let me get my hands on the thing and play with it, then I am sure I will some questions for everyone.

So hello for now, and you can just call me Paul.

paulmohr

Ok, scratch the WS1098. The place I ordered it from called me and said someone bought the last six they had and they are not re stocking them because they are being discontinued. He said the TRX2 is basically the same thing so why have the 1098's. Um because the 1098's cost less that is why lol. How convenient for whistler I guess.

I think I am getting a 325P2 now. I drove to a store in Monroe that had one in stock, but of course my debit card wouldn't work because it has a pending charge for 425 dollars from the online place which wasn't cancelled yet. Hopefully I can get that straightened out and go pick it up tomorrow.

I am beginning to think the motorcycle or .357 would have been easier to buy lol.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Lenawee County is planning to migrate to the MPSCS, so you will need a P25 scanner that is Phase 1. Eventually, the state of Michigan is planning to go over to Phase II, so if you buy a scanner with all the bells and whistles, you'll be future proofing your radio against emerging technology trends. Meanwhile, all of Lenawee County is currently on VHF-High band.

73's

Ron

paulmohr

Thanks. I did end up getting the 325p2 from Herkimer Radio Service in Monroe. Had to argue with Bearcat warehouse and my bank till about noon on Friday, but I finally got it worked out and went and got it. I was debating ordering TRX-2 as well but just couldn't justify the extra money for a couple extra features I don't think I will need.

I over paid for a bit, cost me 425 dollar after tax. I could have gotten it off the internet cheaper for sure. Or better model for about the same or a bit more. However I am kind of glad I went the way I did. After reading a lot of posts about problems with getting bad scanners in the mail, problems with SD cards, problems with programming and what not the extra money was worth it to me. I got it the same day I paid for it. I got to hold it in my hand and look it over before I paid for it. The guy at the store pre programmed it for me and gave me a real basic rundown on how it worked. We put the batteries in it, turned it on and worked, no muss no fuss. It will even pick up Monroe county in my basement with the little stock antenna.

I did download FreeScan and re program it though. And got some extra batteries and a charger. Mostly I just leave it plugged into my computer though. I also went to lowes and dropped 40 bucks on parts to make an OFCD atenna. It works a little better, but I hooked it up to my TV tower antenna and that works better.

Only thing I really don't like about it so far is the volume knob. I don't like having to push the knob down and then turn it. It would be better if I could just twist it real quick if I want to turn it up or down in a hurry. Or having to use the function key to get the squelch. How hard would it have been to just put two knobs on it lol.

I may have some more questions in a few days, but I think I am content with it for now.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Lenawee County is planning to migrate to the MPSCS, so you will need a P25 scanner that is Phase 1. Eventually, the state of Michigan is planning to go over to Phase II, so if you buy a scanner with all the bells and whistles, you'll be future proofing your radio against emerging technology trends. Meanwhile, all of Lenawee County is currently on VHF-High band.

73's

Ron

The ambulance service, Lenawee Community Ambulance (LCA) is on the state system, as part of Emergent Health Partners. By listening to them, you will want to listen for unit numbers that start with a 5, such as 503.

(Emergent Health consists of HVA, that covers all of Washtenaw, along with parts of Oakland and Wayne counties; JCA, for Jackson County and Albion; MCA, for Monroe County. 100-series units are from HVA main, in Ann Arbor. 600-series units are from HVA Eastern Ops, in Plymouth, with some units having a fixed base. 300-series are from Jackson County. 700-series are from Monroe County. They also have a separate dispatch for the Troy area, for Allied, which are the 400-series units.)

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.