Midland monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagese

Hi everyone,

Is City of Midland/Midland County using encryption for any of their public services? I'm wanting to get into monitoring a little more seriously than just listening to the Broadcastify stream, but don't want to invest in a scanner if it isn't going to broaden what I can listen to.

Thanks,
Andrew

smithken

Premium Subscriber
According to the database PD TAC 1, PD TAC 2 and PD Training may be encrypted, the rest is in the clear. I don't live near Midland or Midland County so I can't say for sure.

Menagese

I guess either I am looking at the database wrong or I don't know where you are looking that calls out the PD TACs and their possible encryption. I know MPSCS uses P-25 which requires the digital scanner but I don't see anything about encryption.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
I guess either I am looking at the database wrong or I don't know where you are looking that calls out the PD TACs and their possible encryption. I know MPSCS uses P-25 which requires the digital scanner but I don't see anything about encryption.

MPSCS in the Mode column where it says DE, Digital Encrypted.

RayAir

I have been through that area on business/travel and I never logged any encrypted TGs during my stay. I know the DB lists Coleman PD and Midland Tac TGs as encrypted but I never logged any of those.

This isn't to say they aren't used, but at least use of them isn't common.

You should be safe in Midland.

The only enc I know of up that way is in Isabella and Montcalm but it's mostly on the DMR side.

Menagese

Thanks for the information. It sounds like if I were to get a scanner that will enhance my listening experience beyond just using the current Broadcastify stream and I probably don't need to worry about encryption.

If I am mistaken in any of my assumptions above, please correct me.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I monitor them quite regularly, one item out of the box Unidens mute any encrpyted talkgroups.
Only encrypteds in the area are ones mentioned so far, others that are in the clear one day, then encrypted another time is bayanet, fugitive apprehension, msp detectives, Coast Guard dispatch- personnel are not.

I STRONGLY encourage you to get Uniden and not Whistler due to them being simulcast(multi-tower) have had so very many report no reception using whistlers, last radio shack models. Uniden no news is good news no problems reported.
tower layout
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQVZ379

Read my message here -
https://forums.radioreference.com/michigan-radio-discussion-forum/356989-phase-2-a.html#post2799619

more ideas - new to scanning

Menagese

Thanks for the info Ron. I'm eyeing the 536HP myself. I found your website before coming here actually and found it extremely helpful.

scanmanmi

I entered the red control channel 853.725 for Midland in a few days ago and got nothing but a couple of bars. Today I was in town and changed it to 853.825 and the gates of Heaven opened up. Was I doing something wrong?

smithken

Premium Subscriber
You didn't do anything wrong they were just using one of the alternate control channels instead of the main control channel. If the red frequency (the main control channel) doesn't seem to be working you need to check the alternate control channels (the blue frequencies).

scanmanmi

I STRONGLY encourage you to get Uniden and not Whistler due to them being simulcast(multi-tower) have had so very many report no reception using whistlers, last radio shack models. Uniden no news is good news no problems reported.

What is your opinion in general of the Uniden over the Whistler? If most listening is not simulcast is it an upgrade? (going to really cost me)

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
They all work fine here in Bay county a non simulcast since the radios are far enough away from the influence of simulcast. Maybe only get say 1-2 towers is all. Once the radios are taken to the 4 tower counties is when people report no reception short of a small percent.

mikey60

It's all about location. My Whistler scanners work fine in some areas of simulcast systems, and not so well in others. I've heard similar reports on the Uniden models. I've noticed differences based on the specific frequency being used for the transmissions within the trunked site. I'm guessing some slight timing differences between repeaters.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.