MPSCS J Events TGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdeater

G, H and I was not enough event groups, so they created another zone of special event talk groups. During busy times of the year they would run out of groups to assign to events. (I is for law enforcement use only, so that left 2 zones of event channels)

Until people get their radios re-templated, we probably will not hear a lot of chatter on the J event tg's.

MetroMike

My understanding is that the Zone J event talkgroups are (like Zone I) reserved for law enforcement only.

The J-Zone EVENT tags are for use by all subscribers, regardless of discipline, and are encryption-capable much like the I-Zone is.

Subscribing agencies are getting them when they have their templates are refreshed by MPSCS RPU.

MFD4305

Thanks!

I appreciate the input from all of you. My limited perspective thought there was already a pretty big number of "Interop" channels available on G, H, and I. . . .

MetroMike

I appreciate the input from all of you. My limited perspective thought there was already a pretty big number of "Interop" channels available on G, H, and I. . . .

There are a ton of interop options via the existing EVENT talkgroups. The issue is a lot of agencies use the G-J EVENT talkgroups for local events, etc., that don't even require their use.

Local agencies/counties/entities already have local interop talkgroups built into their template (e.g., ##SPEV1 etc.), and these are designed for local-level interoperability for things like county fairs, races, incidents, festivals, etc., where all the agencies participating or expected to participate are from the local area where the event is taking place. For some reason they still pull EVENT talkgroups from the NCC and frequently pull a lot of them for a single, small event when the county-level interop talkgroups already in their template would do the job just fine.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
There are a ton of interop options via the existing EVENT talkgroups. The issue is a lot of agencies use the G-J EVENT talkgroups for local events, etc., that don't even require their use.

Local agencies/counties/entities already have local interop talkgroups built into their template (e.g., ##SPEV1 etc.), and these are designed for local-level interoperability for things like county fairs, races, incidents, festivals, etc., where all the agencies participating or expected to participate are from the local area where the event is taking place. For some reason they still pull EVENT talkgroups from the NCC and frequently pull a lot of them for a single, small event when the county-level interop talkgroups already in their template would do the job just fine.
+1 on that. My county is guilty of that; they routinely request a G or H talkgroup for the county fair, while SPEV1, SPEV2, SPEV3, 13COM, etc sit idle. That decision is made above and outside of my command chain. I've tried planting the bug in someone's ear to cease that practice, but it continues. Gotta pick your battles... :roll:

szron

Premium Subscriber

You are correct. But with the way the system works one TG can only be used in one place at the time. Just because G-Event-1 is only enabled for a search warrant sweep in Detroit it doesn't mean that some up north county can use it for their fair, even thought the TG is enabled only for Detroit Simulcast.

So when everybody and their mother requests event talk groups for pretty much anything these days and you still need to maintain a bank of emergency channels for unforeseen situations where rapid deployment of multiple agencies will happen you can see how it gets congested.

But at the end of the day I'd much rather see overusing the event talkgroups than under utilizing them. It seems that for the most part MPSCS did a good job is hammering it into every field supervisor's head in the state to pull an event channel for anything major that has outside agency response. Even when it's not really needed. I don't think they intended it but hey it's not that bad.

MFD4305

Thanks!

You are correct. But with the way the system works one TG can only be used in one place at the time. Just because G-Event-1 is only enabled for a search warrant sweep in Detroit it doesn't mean that some up north county can use it for their fair, even thought the TG is enabled only for Detroit Simulcast.

I appreciate that expanded perspective.

tdeater

In our county for local stuff we use local TG's (spev, emer, etc.) but as soon as an incident starts including non local resources, like MSP, DNR, etc, a state event channel becomes one of our only options that everyone can access. On the event channel requests to NCC, you have to justify what the channels are needed for, I can't just say give me 5 channels, I have to justify what each one is for.

So, because zone I is law enforcement use only, G and H gives us 31 tg's. During the busy summer in Michigan, 31 tg's is not a lot to go around, especially on holiday weekends where there are a lot of events happening around the state. But, it takes a while for everyone to re-template to add J, and a lot of agencies have older radios with limited TG capabilities, so it may be a while until we start hearing chatter on J.

Status
Not open for further replies.