HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicbox50

I purchased a scanner for my mother for her birthday. She has always listened to Dearborn Police and Fire dispatch. When the switched to the new system her old scanner wouldn't pick them up anymore. I bought her a Whistler WS1040. Will this scanner work for picking up Dearborn? I have watched several youtube videos and read the instructions 100x, I am going crazy trying to figure this out. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it . Thanks in advance..........

GeneseeCoMI

Yes the WS 1040 will work on MPSCS. Did you set the trunking system type to P25 (digital)? Did you put in the correct talkgroups? Which tower(s)' frequencies did you put in? Which antenna(s) are you using? The Whistler scanners are known for being crappy on simulcasts so avoid the Wayne Co Simulcast system and try adjacent towers instead and see if that works better.

Last edited:

musicbox50

Thanks for your reply. I am a completely lost. This is all new to me. Do I set it up as conventional, the directions that come with it aren’t very clear, is there somewhere I can get better direction on how to program, or is there somewhere I can take it to get it programmed for her.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

GeneseeCoMI

Thanks for your reply. I am a completely lost. This is all new to me. Do I set it up as conventional, the directions that come with it aren’t very clear, is there somewhere I can get better direction on how to program, or is there somewhere I can take it to get it programmed for her.

No, MPSCS is a Project 25 digital trunked system. Were you putting in their old VHF/UHF conventional analog frequencies? They don't use them any more, so delete them.

If the WS 1040 manual is the same as my Pro 106's (it's the same scanner with a different model number and maker) setting up a trunked system is explained on pages 33-35. First enter the system and select the type as P25, enter the control frequencies, then make a new object for each talkgroup you want to hear.

After setting the system type to P25, put in the red and blue frequencies (control channels); ignore the others, the scanner doesn't need them. The Wayne Co simulcast control frequencies are 853.825 and 853.3. There's several other separate towers for the area, so if your reception is crappy, switch the control frequencies to theirs instead.

Here's the Dearborn talkgroups:

22245 Dearborn Police: Dispatch
22246 Dearborn Police: Car-to-Car
22337 Dearborn Fire: Dispatch
22338 Dearborn Fire: Fireground 1
22339 Dearborn Fire: Fireground 2

Last edited:

musicbox50

I will try again with this info. Sorry, just still seems confusing to me. Only because I don’t understand all the terms people are using about programming.

GeneseeCoMI

I will try again with this info. Sorry, just still seems confusing to me. Only because I don’t understand all the terms people are using about programming.

Okay well here's some definitions:

Trunked Radio Systems
Trunking Basics
APCO Project 25
Project 25 Common Air Interface
Simulcast Signal Distortion

Don't feel bad, we were all new once too. Great present for your mom by the way. I hope you can get it working. She'll really enjoy the lack of static. :)

musicbox50

I got it to pick up some with your instruction geneseecomi. THANK YOU, now I just need it to pick up Dearborn only. How do I input the Dearborn talkgroups?

GeneseeCoMI

I got it to pick up some with your instruction geneseecomi. THANK YOU, now I just need it to pick up Dearborn only. How do I input the Dearborn talkgroups?

Great, I'm glad you got it working! :)

Follow the instructions on pages 34-35 of the manual to put them in. You have to make a new TGRP object for each talkgroup that I listed above. Make sure none of them are a wildcard (sounds like you might have made one already, so go back and edit it so it isn't), or it'll pick up everything on the system, e.g. surrounding cities/agencies.

Last edited:

mayduavongts

Thanks for sharing!

I also have similar questions, thank you for discussing to find a solution! Thanks for sharing! Máy

musicbox50

My son gave me the scanner, but I am not getting very good reception, lots of garbled talk, can you advise me. He says you are very helpful. Thanks in advance.

GeneseeCoMI

My son gave me the scanner, but I am not getting very good reception, lots of garbled talk, can you advise me. He says you are very helpful. Thanks in advance.

That's called simulcast signal distortion. It's common with older digital scanners. Tell him to replace the frequencies he put in before with control channels for other towers in Wayne County which aren't simulcast systems to see which one sounds best:

Northville: 853.9625, 853.1625, 852.925
Eastern Wayne Co: 853.5, 853.0875, 852.625, 852.15
Flat Rock: 853.975, 853.475, 852.975

Status
Not open for further replies.